Ahmaud Arbery murder case

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My response was because the person I responded to thought the guy with the klan hood was "hilarious." Of course I still would be upset and disturbed if a guy was walking around with an isis flag mask. My question is if he would think it would be "hilarious" or a joke in my scenario.
Truthfully, picking a symbol that you KNOW is offensive to part of our citizenry is....well, offensive behavior. No two ways about it.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m curious as to how you would actually feel if a middle eastern looking man was walking around with an isis flag around his face? Would you still be outraged? The reason I ask is because it’s difficult to read the tone of a post, but I read yours a certain way. Almost as if you wouldn’t be upset in your scenario but he should be in the original.

Anyone screaming white power, black power, or death to America should all have their ignorant racist asses kicked imo.

The guy should’ve been jumped in the grocery store imo.
Here is an easy, real world example: How did they feel when Kaepernick wore his "pigs" socks?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Here is an easy, real world example: How did they feel when Kaepernick wore his "pigs" socks?
Kaepernick is an idiot and he deserves the type of coverage you’d afford an idiot. His personal philosophies as communicated through the media are a thousand miles wide and a millimeter deep, completely lacking thoughtful substance. He squandered a phenomenal opportunity to advance race relations, instead he drove it backwards and emboldened the very racists he tried to denounce. They were a dying breed & he reinvigorated them. Decades of destructive attitudes and behavior will ultimately result from his shortsightedness.

The NFL owners run a business. In my business I do not tolerate political apparel to be worn In the workplace (courtesy of my owners) . The NFL owners tolerated it. It was their prerogative. They too were shortsighted & failed miserably at what should have been a golden opportunity. Given their power & prestige, this should have been seen by them as a responsibility and a privilege.

I own my opinion, my time & my money. I voice my opinion when this comes up (the NFL owners doubled down on an idiot by acting like idiots themselves and failing to enforce their own policies), I stopped using my time to watch the NFL until the nonsense ended & I didn’t spend one cent on any NFL gear.

In the end our nation got lip service treatment and not much good came out of this other than the powerful elites chucked the little guys & those helping a few crumbs to shut them up. Sad. Kaepernick does not own all of the negativity or even a sizable portion of it, but he & his NFL owner cronies and a complicit media own all of the goodness that failed to come out of his “stand” by not knowing what the hell the end game was when they started.

GT_EE78

Banned
My response was because the person I responded to thought the guy with the klan hood was "hilarious." Of course I still would be upset and disturbed if a guy was walking around with an isis flag mask. My question is if he would think it would be "hilarious" or a joke in my scenario.
Although we both agree that his mask was inappropriate, aren't we both willing to fight and die for his right to do that?
ya know, that first amendment thing?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is so bad. I can't even imagine a scenario in which these guys are justified arming themselves and tracking him down like that. He was zero threat to them until they rolled up on him with guns drawn.

Too painful a subject for me. I've told about how my grandmother explained how I should act in public as a black man. One of the things she told me was I couldn't run in public because, if someone accused me of a crime, they could gun me down and ask questions later. And nothing would be done about it.

She told me this in 1988 so this wasn't some Black Lives Matter conversation. Apparently she'd seen that happen several times.

I didn't think I'd have to have those types of conversations with my sons some 30-odd years later but here we are.

What makes it even sadder is my grandma lives in Brunswick and I'm sure she knows that family. I know it's just some 'story' for most of yall, but I have to walk around with that fear my whole life.

While this is certainly in bad taste and something I wouldn't choose to do, that is hilarious, and, the guy probably did it as a joke on mask wearing.

There's nothing funny about that.

As a black man, that image would absolutely terrify me and a life or death confrontation would ensue.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Too painful a subject for me. I've told about how my grandmother explained how I should act in public as a black man. One of the things she told me was I couldn't run in public because, if someone accused me of a crime, they could gun me down and ask questions later. And nothing would be done about it.

She told me this in 1988 so this wasn't some Black Lives Matter conversation. Apparently she'd seen that happen several times.

I didn't think I'd have to have those types of conversations with my sons some 30-odd years later but here we are.

What makes it even sadder is my grandma lives in Brunswick and I'm sure she knows that family. I know it's just some 'story' for most of yall, but I have to walk around with that fear my whole life.

There's nothing funny about that.

As a black man, that image would absolutely terrify me and a life or death confrontation would ensue.
Really sad reality that we continue to live in. My dad basically had the same talk with me as a boy growing up in the 90s.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Although we both agree that his mask was inappropriate, aren't we both willing to fight and die for his right to do that?
ya know, that first amendment thing?
Would you be willing to fight and die for the right of a middle eastern looking American if he wore an isis flag mask around in public?

GT_EE78

Banned
Would you be willing to fight and die for the right of a middle eastern looking American if he wore an isis flag mask around in public?
he'd have that right assuming he's a us citizen. @kg01 would be wrong not to recognize that and to engage in a life or death confrontation on the wrong side.

Milwaukee

Banned
Idiots need to stop with the “he was robbing houses and that’s what caused them to chase him” and idiots need to stop with the “he was just taking a daily jog, a black man can’t even take a damn jog” until the facts come out. Both takes may be 100% wrong.

Either way both men in the video doing the shooting should face the chair, and possibly even the person filming. Sick to my stomach.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
that's true, i've never had to face either mask but do believe that i can recognize another person's right to be stupid. right?
It's not only stupid but it's threatening. You know, because the KKK liked to lynch black people. Maybe a Klan hood isn't threatening to you but it is to me and other black Americans.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Idiots need to stop with the “he was robbing houses and that’s what caused them to chase him” and idiots need to stop with the “he was just taking a daily jog, a black man can’t even take a damn jog” until the facts come out. Both takes may be 100% wrong.

Either way both men in the video doing the shooting should face the chair, and possibly even the person filming. Sick to my stomach.
I will not be surprised if the killers get a GoFund me page because "our society is in shambles." And im sure pretty soon this thread will be in shambles.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Really sad reality that we continue to live in. My dad basically had the same talk with me as a boy growing up in the 90s.
That is the sad reality. It’s why I get so pissed off that at every chance to move forward our nation seems to take a step back before the journey along the slow road of progress can continue. There’s people that can make a difference, but instead of making a difference they just try to score political points & just like clockwork the morons with the hoods come out of the woodwork for the tv prolonging the journey.

We just don’t get it.

Deleted member 2897

With a mock suicide vest ... just as a "joke".

Well I’ll go ahead and say it. I think in both cases those people aren’t just being provocative. You can’t yell FIRE in a crowded theatre. You can’t own MX Missiles. I would charge these people with making terroristic threats. If they aren’t convicted, I’ll let a prosecutor and jury and judge worry about that. But I’d make the point loudly and publicly.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

Even if he was a burglar, most proficient in history, these two men had zero right to arm themselves, pursue, attempt to apprehend, then shoot in "self defense". Rule #1 of Neighborhood Watch is that you are NOT the police, just an extra set of eyes. They should have called 911, followed the guy updating dispatch about where the guy was heading. Instead, they grabbed their guns and decided to take care of it themselves.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Even if he was a burglar, most proficient in history, these two men had zero right to arm themselves, pursue, attempt to apprehend, then shoot in "self defense". Rule #1 of Neighborhood Watch is that you are NOT the police, just an extra set of eyes. They should have called 911, followed the guy updating dispatch about where the guy was heading. Instead, they grabbed their guns and decided to take care of it themselves.

Agree with you.

Here is the reality that many don't want to accept or talk about, though:

If I look at my neighborhood, which is all I can really speak on from personal experience, if you take the arrest reports and security camera footage of all of the home and auto break-ins that occur, 90+% of these crimes are committed by black males, with the majority being young black males.

Now, here's the rest of it that really doesn't want to be talked about: When the police actually do finally make an arrest (doesn't happen nearly often enough), these young black males laugh in their face and tell them that they will be back out doing the same thing the next day (I've been told this directly from officers). Why is that? It's because of the lax laws we have, at least in GA, regarding minors. Until they accumulate so many points, they have to be released to a parent or guardian. So, imagine just for a minute that your neighborhood is continually preyed upon by these criminals. In my neighborhood it happens on a weekly basis. Yes, you read that right. There is no fear of repercussions by the perpetrators. Hardly any arrests ever happen, and, when they finally do, the criminals get a slap on the wrist and released right back out. If that was happening to you repeatedly, what do you do? You just continue to surrender and say "here you go, take my hard-earned possessions that I've worked for"? It's easy to say, "let the police and justice system handle", but what if you live somewhere where the system (the DA's office and judges) don't prosecute like they should and there really is no justice?

That is 100% truth and reality.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with you.

Here is the reality that many don't want to accept or talk about, though:

If I look at my neighborhood, which is all I can really speak on from personal experience, if you take the arrest reports and security camera footage of all of the home and auto break-ins that occur, 90+% of these crimes are committed by black males, with the majority being young black males.

Now, here's the rest of it that really doesn't want to be talked about: When the police actually do finally make an arrest (doesn't happen nearly often enough), these young black males laugh in their face and tell them that they will be back out doing the same thing the next day (I've been told this directly from officers). Why is that? It's because of the lax laws we have, at least in GA, regarding minors. Until they accumulate so many points, they have to be released to a parent or guardian. So, imagine just for a minute that your neighborhood is continually preyed upon by these criminals. In my neighborhood it happens on a weekly basis. Yes, you read that right. There is no fear of repercussions by the perpetrators. Hardly any arrests ever happen, and, when they finally do, the criminals get a slap on the wrist and released right back out. If that was happening to you repeatedly, what do you do? You just continue to surrender and say "here you go, take my hard-earned possessions that I've worked for"? It's easy to say, "let the police and justice system handle", but what if you live somewhere where the system (the DA's office and judges) don't prosecute like they should and there really is no justice?

That is 100% truth and reality.
This is the neighborhood:
https://www.zillow.com/satilla-shores-brunswick-ga/

The victim was 25 years old.

While what you wrote may have a gleam of truth where you live, it is irrelevant to the topic and only serves as a way - even if involuntary - of justifying what happened. I am white, and something I often notice from other whites are that they get really defensive about stories like this as if the actions of these men somehow reflect poorly on themselves. Denying the obvious racism is worse. There is no guilt by association here, these guys are not me and quite likely not you either. Just look how many words you said that agreed this is awful, and then how many you spent explaining, "yeah but..."