Ahmaud Arbery murder case

Milwaukee

Banned
Crazy how these 2 quotes from A Time To Kill stand out to me Re: Arbery killing and impending trial:

“If you win this case, justice will prevail, and if you lose, justice will also prevail. Now that is a strange case.” - Lucien Wilbanks

“Our society can not condone men that take the law into their own hands.” - DA Rufus Buckley

I find it interesting that the guy doing that video kept referring to the McMichael's having been "attacked" and then acting in self defense against the attack. What about the kid acting in self defense when he saw men waiting for him with guns drawn? It may be their right, through open carry laws, to have those guns; it's not their right to point the guns at someone else, unless that someone else poses an obvious threat to the gun carrier(s). Whether the kid was jogging or running is immaterial. Look at the video, and the McMichaels were lying in wait for him with guns already drawn.

But we don't even know if those guys were even pointing their guns at Abery and who attacked whom (from the video anyway). I will say this though. If I am exercising my right as a US Citizen to open carry (unless I am in a state who has abridged their citizens' right to bear arms) and someone attacks me while trying to take my gun, said person would probably get shot.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
People are human and as long as there are people there will be politics (little p) and "good ole boy" systems. But, overt racism cannot and never should be tolerated. Whether it happens in Chicago or Brunswick...

The abuse of power is just flagrant and I'm not even referring just to this case.

The Sasser murder/suicide by troubled Brunswick officer ...

https://thebrunswicknews.com/breaki...cle_3cc79d7c-a71e-11e8-83c5-db1307f27587.html

... and the questionable shooting (by the aforementioned Sasser, I mean you can't make this stuff up) of Caroline Small ...

https://investigations.ajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

are some pretty glaring examples of questionable handling by that police department. Shout out to @RonJohn for bringing these up earlier. That department is rife with corruption.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/glynn-county-police-ahmaud-arbery.html

Over the years, Glynn County police officers have been accused of covering up allegations of misconduct, tampering with a crime scene, interfering in an investigation of a police shooting and retaliating against fellow officers who cooperated with outside investigators.

The police chief was indicted days after Mr. Arbery’s killing on charges related to an alleged cover-up of an officer’s sexual relationship with an informant. The chief, John Powell, had been hired to clean up the department, which the Glynn County manager described last fall as suffering from poor training, outdated policies and “a culture of cronyism.”

As I mentioned earlier, my whole family is from Brunswick so I've heard these stories all my life. People ask, "well, why hasn't anything changed?"

Well, look at the reaction from this case. There's still people arguing that the conduct of these vigilantes was justified.

Imagine how hard it is to convince people of officer misconduct, in that environment, without the aid of video evidence. I mean, people watched that video and spend more time analyzing why the guy took a '90-degree turn' than they are wondering why the posse is baring down on him brandishing guns in the first place.

Deleted member 2897

As I mentioned earlier, my whole family is from Brunswick so I've heard these stories all my life. People ask, "well, why hasn't anything changed?"

Well, look at the reaction from this case. There's still people arguing that the conduct of these vigilantes was justified.

Imagine how hard it is to convince people of officer misconduct, in that environment, without the aid of video evidence. I mean, people watched that video and spend more time analyzing why the guy took a '90-degree turn' than they are wondering why the posse is baring down on him brandishing guns in the first place.

I've compared this to the challenges we've had in agencies like the FBI. The highest level folks like James Baker, Andrew McCabe, Jim Comey and others were fired, referred for prosecution, and all kinds of things...and yet there has been no accountability. Now imagine that on a local level. Its much easier to avoid eyeballs at a local town like Brunswick than at the FBI - at a smaller town its likely the Mayor, Council, Commissioners, Police Chief, and local businesses all intermingle and have known each other for decades. Most of these local government positions don't pay much and its a part-time gig so they run businesses that intermingle with the government too. Nobody wants to say or do anything and upset the comfortable gravy train cart they have rolling.

The abuse of power is just flagrant and I'm not even referring just to this case.

The Sasser murder/suicide by troubled Brunswick officer ...

https://thebrunswicknews.com/breaki...cle_3cc79d7c-a71e-11e8-83c5-db1307f27587.html

... and the questionable shooting (by the aforementioned Sasser, I mean you can't make this stuff up) of Caroline Small ...

https://investigations.ajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

are some pretty glaring examples of questionable handling by that police department. Shout out to @RonJohn for bringing these up earlier. That department is rife with corruption.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/glynn-county-police-ahmaud-arbery.html

Not only baring down on him, but actually lying in wait, as the semi was stopped in the middle of the road in front of him as he was jogging.

GT_EE78

Banned
He describes a local activist trying to get information about the case from his office as a "rabble rouser", who thinks "I must be biased". There is no need to include deriding remarks about local parties interested in the case
Yes, that concerned citizen or "local interested party" as you put it is Shaun King - co-founder of Black Lives Matter. he and lawyer Lee Merritt have been partners in anti-white, anti-cop agitation for upwards of two decades.it was king who posted the "just a jogger" video... Shaun King and Lee Merritt teamed up to perpetrate the Sherita Dixon-Cole hate crime hoax of 2018. Dixon-Cole, who is black, falsely accused innocent white Texas state trooper Daniel Hubbard of raping her during a traffic stop. Her lawyer was Merritt. King “broke” the viral story and everything was going swimmingly until law enforcement released the 2-hour bodycam video showing…no such thing.
Shaun King and Lee Merritt also teamed up to perpetrate the Jazmine Barnes hate crime hoax of 2019. Seven-year-old Jazmine, who is black, was slain in a drive-by shooting in Texas. Merritt was a legal advisor to the Barnes family. King used his mighty Twitter platform to spread conspiracy theories of a racist white truck-driving shooter and defame an innocent man named Robert Cantrell, whose family faced death threats as a result of the witch hunt.
Then who comes crawling out of the woodwork but Benjamin Crump. Crump is the camera-lovin’ avenging lawyer for the families of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown who rocketed to fame perpetuating the “Hands up, don’t shoot” lie for the ferguson riots.
With this cast of characters ,we know how the armed black panthers got there and why the families of DA Johnson,DA Barnhill,Bryan and McMichael are receiving death threats.....> I just hope that the biased media coverage doesn't cause Brunswick to become the next Ferguson.

GT_EE78

Banned
This doesn’t change the fact or validate that he was murdered by 2 men, but more info nonetheless:

We did learn a bit about Arbery's passion for exercise - We can see him in those videos avidly jogging through other peoples houses even in the middle of the night.
And who can forget about the time he was avidly jogging through a High School parking lot chased by police after a .38 fell out of his pants.
Hmm, wonder how the two officers were injured while performing that felony arrest?
https://www.news4jax.com/news/2013/...ame/?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

GT_EE78

Banned
... and therefore he deserved to die in the street.

People.
I don't think anyone is saying that.
it's tragic and sad when someone that young loses their life even if they've done something wrong.
the redneck vigilantes hunting down innocent joggers propaganda isn't as plausable as concerned citizens trying to stop crime in their neighborhood
(maybe stupidly) trying to make a citizens arrest and things went horribly wrong

GT_EE78

Banned
Not only baring down on him, but actually lying in wait, as the semi was stopped in the middle of the road in front of him as he was jogging.
One thing to remember from @Milwaukee 's video is that there are many things we haven't seen or don't know yet, like
witness statements, entire videos, coroners report, tox screen, 911 caller identities or scene photos.
I always take a hammer when i go jogging, Don't you?
upload_2020-5-12_19-10-48.jpeg

One thing to remember from @Milwaukee 's video is that there are many things we haven't seen or don't know yet, like
witness statements, entire videos, coroners report, tox screen, 911 caller identities or scene photos.
I always take a hammer when i go jogging, Don't you?
View attachment 8304
So you call 911; you don't block the road lying in wait for him with guns drawn.

GT_EE78

Banned
So you call 911; you don't block the road lying in wait for him with guns drawn.
I'd speculate that if the McMichaels could have a do-over, that's exactly what they'd do.
and probably should have done, but are we sure they weren't trying to do that?
If you look close at that video, that thing by Greg McMichael's left ear that he was talking into didn't look a .357 magnum ....