Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We literally did all of those things. Not a lot, but we did them.
The operative phrase in this is "not a lot". We should be doing everything mentioned in the post " a lot". We would be much more unpredictable and much harder to stop.

But we probably won't since having Brown out there would make them work better. And he's gone.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This staff is a big part why Camp will be drafted and our staff’s play calling. He had his best season in 4 years under our staff (2020). The others 3 years didn’t even have over 200 yards or over 2 touchdowns in any of the previous years. So yes the staff has a lot to do with camp.
He was in line to be WR #1 in 2019 when he got hurt. I think he would have had about the same number of receptions with either Paul or CDP (glad somebody came up with that; I never spell his name right) this year. But, yes, since the staff called his number, they get credit.

It is too bad Camp got hurt last year, however. The extra experience with a new offense would certainly have helped.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is a perfect example of when I define that we need to scheme. CDP, I guess with the approval of CGC, has decided to run vanilla shotgun spread, aka Texas High school, which he calls pro style. Drop back passing or simple gives to the running back to find a hole. Thus our offense is anemic. You have a guy like Brown that is a weapon. You find ways to get him the ball. Pick routes or run him as a flanker on a jet sweep, or a trailing back on an option. CRF did this with Dez White. Same as we should move Tobias back to offense and use him. Read what he said, he wants to get to the NFL and Tech aint the place. Now, he is forgetting the value of his degree but frankly we need our offense to scheme so that we win games. If winning means Brown runs a few speed sweeps, a non NFL look, then it helps him and us.
Don't know what your career is but you certainly should have been a college football coach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The operative phrase in this is "not a lot". We should be doing everything mentioned in the post " a lot". We would be much more unpredictable and much harder to stop.

But we probably won't since having Brown out there would make them work better. And he's gone.

Kyric McGowan can do those things and he is a 5th year senior. Nate McCollum, Jamal Haynes, Malik Rutherford all with similar skillsets. We will be ok

Don't know what your career is but you certainly should have been a college football coach.
Well, corporate America, Telecomm, IT etc. But I did coach 7th and 8th graders a few years. I would love nothing better than to be a High School Football coach. Maybe since I am back in Georgia I can find an opportunity. I have just seen, played and studied a lot of football in my 59 years.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I bring it up because it is fact. Our offense under CDP is horrendous. Davis was drafted because of what he did at UConn. He was barely used at Tech. Camp has 4 years of all kind of production and is a physical specimen. Nothing to do with current staff and play calling.

AB leaving was not a good thing, no matter how many seem to not care. He was a proven weapon, unlike what we have now.
Brown was going to be a nonfactor moving forward. Nothing he did his freshman year required skill. It was run as fast as he could when the other team would stack the box to stop the only play we could run (a dive run play). He'd beat his coverage and Graham would throw a prayer and he would catch it. Once teams learned that he disappeared last year. Better QB, more weapons, and better oline. He was asked to actually play his position and he failed. Malachi Carter is 2x the receiver Brown is and will be. Camp is 3x the receiver. Browns only chance in the NFL is as a punt returner, or as a darren sproles type role. Collins could have gotten him there. Let him rot in ****ttty Columbus.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I liked AB. I wish him well, and wish he would have stuck it out. I do think DP didnt try creative ways to get him the ball, but he seemed more fast than quick. The times he didn’t try jet sweeps, he couldn’t/didn’t break tackles. Your best option is to chuck it deep to him. That’s great, but a little one note. Maybe DP knew it was better to get the ball to other people.

Watch some highlights of a guy like Amari Rodgers at Clemson. I would give up the blazing speed for 40 more pounds and a physical receiver. He isn’t much taller than AB, but he is way bigger.

I liked AB. I wish him well, and wish he would have stuck it out. I do think DP didnt try creative ways to get him the ball, but he seemed more fast than quick. The times he didn’t try jet sweeps, he couldn’t/didn’t break tackles. Your best option is to chuck it deep to him. That’s great, but a little one note. Maybe DP knew it was better to get the ball to other people.

Watch some highlights of a guy like Amari Rodgers at Clemson. I would give up the blazing speed for 40 more pounds and a physical receiver. He isn’t much taller than AB, but he is way bigger.
So you are implying that Brown was limited in talent, a guy with 21 offers including Alabama. Which tells me after 2 years he was not developed....does not bode well for player development. I guess we expect to sign NFL ready players....lol...never going to happen. Sims will be an interesting point of data to judge the current staff on player development.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So you are implying that Brown was limited in talent, a guy with 21 offers including Alabama. Which tells me after 2 years he was not developed....does not bode well for player development. I guess we expect to sign NFL ready players....lol...never going to happen. Sims will be an interesting point of data to judge the current staff on player development.

To be fair, it is highly doubtful, given ABs statement about playing in the SEC as his way to make the NFL, that the Bama offer was a committable offer. As has been said, a recruit can claim an offer from any institution and the coaching staff at that school can say nothing to dispute it or confirm it, as it is against the rules to comment on a recruit. A lot of recruits publish known non-committable offers from factories to generate buzz for themselves.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Brown had a total of 2 catches for 14 yards against Va Tech and UGa. If he could outrun DBs from lesser talented teams on fly patterns he was dangerous. When he couldn't, he was too small to be effective in going up and getting the ball against bigger defenders. Once again, you want to criticize the coaches, but it's a matter of talent--which you never seem to understand. I guess the coaches were supposed to develop him into being 6'3". Like other positions on this team, he saw the handwriting on the wall about playing time as we recruited better players, so he hit the transfer portal. He will get more PT at SC, which is hurting for receivers. Can't blame him for going there.

You are going to end up eating your words about the coaching staff. You don't understand or don't want to understand the talent level that Collins inherited and the time it takes to develop players. On one hand you recognize that we arent't going to sign NFL ready players, but your other words suggest that the 2020 recruits should have been able to perform at a high level last year if the staff had developed them. A complete absence of logic.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Brown had a total of 2 catches for 14 yards against Va Tech and UGa. If he could outrun DBs from lesser talented teams on fly patterns he was dangerous. When he couldn't, he was too small to be effective in going up and getting the ball against bigger defenders. Once again, you want to criticize the coaches, but it's a matter of talent--which you never seem to understand. I guess the coaches were supposed to develop him into being 6'3". Like other positions on this team, he saw the handwriting on the wall about playing time as we recruited better players, so he hit the transfer portal. He will get more PT at SC, which is hurting for receivers. Can't blame him for going there.

You are going to end up eating your words about the coaching staff. You don't understand or don't want to understand the talent level that Collins inherited and the time it takes to develop players. On one hand you recognize that we arent't going to sign NFL ready players, but your other words suggest that the 2020 recruits should have been able to perform at a high level last year if the staff had developed them. A complete absence of logic.

So you are saying that AB wasn't talented? The 5.7 rivals ranking wasn't accurate? The fact that THIS coaching staff recruited him away from Maryland doesn't matter? While I agree that he probably was losing PT this year, your assertions that he wasn't talented would be a poor reflection on the current staff. I don't think that's the case. I think AB was very talented, but just wasn't a good fit for where we are now and what we are trying to do.

As I have said, this is the year. We will see about talent level and player development, the latter which is more important to building a winning team. He will have had 3 years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As in all things, time will tell about AB. He will either go to SC and shine. Or disappear. I don't have a clue which it will be. My take is that if SC, like GT last year, has issues at QB and OL similar to ours, he will have trouble getting the touches ala the 2020. that position is very dependent on performance at other positions.

So you are saying that AB wasn't talented? The 5.7 rivals ranking wasn't accurate? The fact that THIS coaching staff recruited him away from Maryland doesn't matter? While I agree that he probably was losing PT this year, your assertions that he wasn't talented would be a poor reflection on the current staff. I don't think that's the case. I think AB was very talented, but just wasn't a good fit for where we are now and what we are trying to do.
curious to say that AB was not a good fit....as he was recruited by Collins, not a CPJ recruit. Does this imply that recruiting should now also be questioned....

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Guys hit the portal everywhere. We upgraded the slot WR position via the portal and recruiting this offseason, so I really don't see why Brown needs to be a referendum on the coaching staff. lol

Guys hit the portal everywhere. We upgraded the slot WR position via the portal and recruiting this offseason, so I really don't see why Brown needs to be a referendum on the coaching staff. lol
Um, we lose AB and get one WR that is one inch taller and weighs 10 more pounds, and was rated lower.....Kyric McGowan...from Northwestern