Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He had a total of 2 catches for 11 yards against VT and Georgie last year. Mostly he out ran lesser teams' safeties on fly routes, and not so much against better teams. Some of that was pass blocking and QB issues. But he is short and not physical, which limits him.

I wish him well, but I'm not sure he is as good as he thinks he is.

Can you name a receiver on our team who had a good game vs either of those two opponents last year? I don't think ABs struggles against uga and VT were out of the norm for us last year.

For the record, no WR had more than 2 catches in either game and tops in yardage was 22 & 23 yards for the two games. By your logic maybe they should ALL transfer?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Yea, doesn’t make sense. This transfer hurts. Only other one I can think of that did was Braun in year one. It’s okay to admit that.

I’m secretly hoping he changes his mind but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Brown has elite speed and ability to adjust to the ball while it’s in the air. He also seems to be a good route runner. He will be missed a lot next year.

Hopefully McCollum, Haynes or Rutherford can step up and fill that void.
I'm with you that it's OK to say that a transfer hurts. AB was a valued member of the team and we will absolutely miss him. We have some guys who will need to step in to give us that dimension quicker than we probably would have liked.

I think people are just going to have to get used to this kind of thing happening. Not everyone is going to be happy with their initial college choice and they have more flexibility now than ever before to go elsewhere. I've been a proponent of giving the kids that flexibility for a while and, like you seem to, I recognize that that can hurt us as well as help us but I think the players deserve that chance and I won't bad mouth kids on the way out, especially when they are leaving with class. I'll wish AB well as long as his new team isn't playing against GT.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
This has to be academics related and not family. Going from tech to South Carolina sounds like academic but I’m not a expert so idk.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
@ a lot of “fans” on this thread speculating and diminishing

The usual suspect of academics came out early. But Gibbs? That’s a new one

why are you the way that you are GIF

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here are Browns stats by year.

2019 - 12 games, 21 catches (1.75 per game). 396 yards (33 ypg), 7 TDs.
2020 - 6 games (not sure if he played against ND or not but it's not showing him as getting any receptions). 11 catches (1.83 per game), 183 yards (30.5 ypg), 1 TD.

Last year the 7 TDs tying Calvin's freshman record painted a picture of him as having a better year than he did. He had a good freshman year, especially considering the circumstances, but not the level of one that really warranted comparison to Johnson that would naturally come from mentioning the record.

I'd say there were 3 major reasons his usage didn't increase the way you would normally think after a good freshman campaign. The first was the return of Camp who took over the #1 WR spot. The second was the emergence of Sims and the change in focus of the offense to suit his strengths (and to address issues we had in 2019 sustaining drives), away from the deep ball and more to the short to intermediate route which was away from Brown's strength and to his weakness. The third was the addition of Gibbs who imo took a lot of the "need to find creative ways to get the ball in his hands" plays that might have otherwise gone to Brown. And while Brown was good, he wasn't Gibbs good.

Overall it hurts to lose him, but to me at least I'm not worried about replacing what he brought to the team last year, but rather the missed opportunity of what might have been with a better OL and more seasoned QB. Ironically, I think this transfers will hurt more the better we are next year as if we continue to struggle to sustain blocks then we probably wouldn't have used the deep threat he would have brought nearly as much.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I could list 10 very good explanations as to why he's transferring. But, I don't know him, have never spoken to him, have no idea what he's thinking or what he holds as important to himself, so I'm not going to speculate. To do more than wish him well in the next phase of his life is jerkish at best, and mean-spirited at worst. We may never know why he left Tech and went to South Carolina. It doesn't really matter. As long as there is an open dialogue between him and his coaches, it's really none of our business.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Speculating or not, there's scenarios where transfers are wished best of luck and there's some where you get no respect from fans. A sophomore starter transferring to another P5 school not closer to home is almost guaranteed to be wished the worst of luck.
Which says more about the people doing the wishing.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If Sims or Gibbs announced tomorrow they were transferring to Oklahoma I'm sure they'd have your full support because you don't want to speculate.
Who said anything about full support? If they wanted to transfer I would not publicly bash them. I am not happy that AB is transferring. But I am also mature enough not to need to bad mouth him about it.