Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

slugboy

Staff member
At FSU, Bowden took over a program that had gone 4-29 in it's previous 3 years, and he won 10 games in his second year.

For Beamer, you left out that VT was transitioning into the Big East from an Independent and subsequently more money began to flow into the program. That's not happening at Tech. No huge budget increase is coming in the next 5-7 years.
Both Beamer and Bowden had recruiting practices that would work at Kansas State but would never work here, no matter how flexible the Hill was. If we're going to pick examples, they aren't good ones. In Bowden's early days, even the Gators were looking over and saying "yeah, we can't get away with that and aren't going to try".

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think everybody is dancing around what I see as a major issue here: Sims has trouble with long throws. I'm not saying he doesn't have the arm or that he couldn't develop a facility if he had a better OL; both are true. But … some QBs are good at hitting long throws but have trouble with short to medium hot reads; think Dan Fouts or, at Tech, Graham. Others - think Joe Montana or, at Tech, Larry Good (if your memory goes back that far) - are good at medium and short throws, but don't hit the long ones that well. So far Sims falls into the second category. And the game plans change to take advantage of that. Brown is a Smurf (another memory challenge) who depends on speed to get open and that usually means longer routes; routes that, so far, Sims has difficulty with.

Is that why he's transferring? Search me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the equation.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Both Beamer and Bowden had recruiting practices that would work at Kansas State but would never work here, no matter how flexible the Hill was. If we're going to pick examples, they aren't good ones. In Bowden's early days, even the Gators were looking over and saying "yeah, we can't get away with that and aren't going to try".
You mean the Criminole days? Ah, yes, I remember them well.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I think everybody is dancing around what I see as a major issue here: Sims has trouble with long throws. I'm not saying he doesn't have the arm or that he couldn't develop a facility if he had a better OL; both are true. But … some QBs are good at hitting long throws but have trouble with short to medium hot reads; think Dan Fouts or, at Tech, Graham. Others - think Joe Montana or, at Tech, Larry Good (if your memory goes back that far) - are good at medium and short throws, but don't hit the long ones that well. So far Sims falls into the second category. And the game plans change to take advantage of that. Brown is a Smurf (another memory challenge) who depends on speed to get open and that usually means longer routes; routes that, so far, Sims has difficulty with.

Is that why he transferred? Search me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the equation.
How many games have we seen our DBs beat deep and their QB has overthrown the receiver. It happens to almost all QBs not named Lawrence or Fields.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes wonder if you just purposefully misrepresent what happens or do you honestly believe the nonsense that you post?

The point about AB being our best WR last year and CGC recruiting him was almost always mentioned in the context of what Collins was left to work with. That our best WR last year was a true freshman slot receiver was indicative of a problem that people like you wanted, and still want, to bury your head in the sand about.
Can you show me where I misrepresented what happened? It's pretty straight forward if you go read through the thread.

Nice try though.

It's also funny how any little criticism of the coach you love sets you on fire and gets you all defensive. At least you care, I've been seeing more and more fan apathy in the recent weeks due to the state of the program.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Is that why he's transferring? Search me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the equation.
I thought last night that he was a lot better on the long throws than earlier in the season when he was really struggling. He wasn't perfect but he was much better. One to Camp probably needed a little more air under it but at least one other was right on target and a terrific play by the DB deflected it (maybe a little more separation would have helped but I don't know).

As for the Smurfs... Loved me some Charlie Brown!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
How many games have we seen our DBs beat deep and their QB has overthrown the receiver. It happens to almost all QBs not named Lawrence or Fields.
Yes, but it didn't happen as often last year when Graham was QB. For short/medium throws the story was different. Conclusion = at this point, Sims is more like Montana then Fouts or, more familiar to Atlantans, Chris Chandler. Long term, we'll see.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
At least one person in the post-game thread was calling Brown a home run threat just last night. I personally think he's a really good player, and we didn't emphasize getting him the ball enough this year.
I was that guy. He is a home run threat. That doesn’t mean he’s quick or good wkth underneath stuff or screens.

I’m nkt saying he isn’t either. We don’t have a lot of evidence. He can take the top off a defense that’s for sure.

I think a lot of the underneath stuff we designed (rightfully so) for Gibbs which may have hurt Brown’s usage. I’d give the ball to Gibbs over Brown too. Both have top end speed but Gibbs ability to make people miss is elite.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s more than likely Gleason
That would make sense to me. Same class as Sims and the staff is all in on Sims. We will still have Yates and are bringing in Peery so I am not too worried.

Brown was a good player but small fast guys are not that hard to find. We have some talented guys in the freshman class and more coming in next year. I was actually excited about Boyd as I thought he was very underrated. I am hoping Blackstone regains some of his explosiveness the second year removed from knee surgery. I am also very high on Leo Blackburn.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think Browns stats last year were part of lack of respect for his speed. That including plays breaking down and the safeties not defending over the top on us. Most teams put 8 in the box against us LOL. Basically his TDS last year were lob prayer passes and he ran up under them. Think playing madden with the Chiefs and throwing a fly route to Tyreek Hill. Same concept. Brown has a ways to go to be a more well rounded WR. At that size you better be as fast as Hill/ Hollywood Brown. Otherwise your more average corners will be able to body you up.

He was a great story for 2019, but McCollum can replace the speed. We also have Malik and Haynes coming in. Now if Sims, Gibbs, Domineck, transfer I would be concerned.

I actually fully expected to hear Mason transferring soon. Next year should be a full blown sell out to win 6+ games. We may use and abuse Gibbs. Masons carries will probably significantly drop. He has looked okay this year, but never fully picked up from last year. Also due to scheming more towards passing, and addition of Gibbs, but I can see him going to a mid major and doing well. Build his draft stock.

I think we see some Defensive guys transfer out as well.

Originally I said we shouldnt see too much attrition, but I think we will see a total of 7-12. Some may be "bigger" names, but none that will kill the program like a Sims/ Gibbs transfer.
I highly doubt Mason transfers. There are plenty of carries to go around. We will not be running Gibbs into the ground. You don't see one back getting all the carries these days especially when you have other good backs who can carry the rock.