After one season, how are we feeling?

Is CDS the guy to lead us back to the success we knew back in the day?

• Absolutely. He's the man.

• I think so. I'm confident we're on the right track.

• Eh, maybe? His first year underwhelmed me.

• Not feelin' it. I think we made a bad hire.

Results are only viewable after voting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The other things he has consistently said is he prefers HS players because he can mold them from the beginning. Secondly as far as portal players he wants to know them and look them in the eye before bringing them on board.

None of us know who completely bought in who partially bought in and who was just along for the ride. We can guess but only the guys in the locker room truly know.

Who leaves will be a partial tell.
ED and Abram are high on everyone's "who's leaving list" and I agree with them. I am not speculating about Kelly and Deebo. Sacko and Gapare could hit the portal and not surprise me, but I think both are staying.

Reeves, Terry, Ndongo, and George seem to be solid in CDS's camp.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
ED and Abram are high on everyone's "who's leaving list" and I agree with them. I am not speculating about Kelly and Deebo. Sacko and Gapare could hit the portal and not surprise me, but I think both are staying.

Looks like we are recruiting a center and a pg, so with the 3 incoming freshmen, we need at least 5 spots. Along with ED and Abram, there will have to be at least 1 more transfer.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not everybody on here believes he can do it, but I bet nearly every single person here WANTS him to be successful. Not only because we want to enjoy the success of GT as fans, but also to show that today's youth can achieve that kind of commitment and sacrifice for personal and team success.

While I don't agree with most that this season represented a step in the right direction, I do think a more accurate description would be that this season provided Stoudamire a rude awakening about what he is up against with today's player. I bet he is going to be much more discerning in recruiting with regards to work ethic and competitive fire and that if anything, he places even greater priority on recruiting high school players, where he can get at them as young as he can.

I like the guy a lot and am pulling hard for him.

Well said. I think you are right that Stoudamire will focus more on high school recruits and use the portal for critical needs.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm disappointed. That said, a new coach always deserves time to get his culture implemented. I feel like this team completely failed to play up to their ability. Losing to ND was not a good sign. Hopefully next year is better. Loved the big wins, but have to beat the teams you should.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Hard to imagine Gapare leaving. He has a much better season this year at GT than he did last year at UMASS, especially in ACC Games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Stoudamire knows exactly the kind of player he wants and can spot that player a mile away. It’s possible he could underestimate a player or two here or there but I doubt he would ever overestimate the kind of players he’s going after. His vision is clear.

slugboy

Staff member

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Memphis (Hardaway) recruits the players he wants and later tries to get them accepted and enrolled. GT will never let CDS do that (more than once).

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Penny Hardaway had a higher bar than CDS has here. The expectations were off the wall for him at Memphis. He is getting heat this year while their record is 22-10 and they went to the Dance the last two years.
I haven't seen or followed Memphis this year but the beef with Hardaway has been that he recruits a lot of firepower but then they struggle to score. He wins decently with tough defensive squads but their offense is ugly. Didn't he dig up Larry Brown from some mausoleum to fix the offense? Did it work?

As for working around the rules to win, I think that is fully expected and fits well with the way they want to do things there.