Adelson: Will Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas have 2016 to remember?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: Will Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas have 2016 to remember?

upload_2016-2-18_14-1-7.png

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Compare 2014 to Eric Crouch's 2001 Heisman winning season:

Rushing
Yards: 1115, avg: 5.5, TD: 18
Passing
Eff: 124.3, Compl%: 55.6 Yards: 1510, TD: 7, INT: 10

hmmm....

Yes, but the game has changed since then to be much more offensive. Everyone's stats are bigger today.

(not taking anything away from JT - I think he's great)

/

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of the Heisman, where do people stand on the criteria for winning it? Do you favor the original intention of the Heisman or how it is interpreted today? For instance, should academics be part of it and should it be awarded to the most valuable leader on the team or should it simply go to a running back or quarterback who puts up the gaudiest numbers? I ask because it seems clear to me that many players who won the Heisman in the past would not win today because the meaning of the Heisman is different today. Roger Staubach was a gifted, game changing athlete who led Navy to victories over teams like Notre Dame at a time when service academies were not expected to be able to compete with the big boys. But his stats, which do not adequately measure the impact he has on his team, look very pedestrian compared to winners of the Heisman today.

bowdon rambler

Georgia Tech Fan
I usually have an idea of what a season will look like. I have know idea what Tech will be this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we win 5 games and I wouldn't be surprised if we win 10. I would say it rides on the Bback and oline production more than anything.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of the Heisman, where do people stand on the criteria for winning it? Do you favor the original intention of the Heisman or how it is interpreted today? For instance, should academics be part of it and should it be awarded to the most valuable leader on the team or should it simply go to a running back or quarterback who puts up the gaudiest numbers? I ask because it seems clear to me that many players who won the Heisman in the past would not win today because the meaning of the Heisman is different today. Roger Staubach was a gifted, game changing athlete who led Navy to victories over teams like Notre Dame at a time when service academies were not expected to be able to compete with the big boys. But his stats, which do not adequately measure the impact he has on his team, look very pedestrian compared to winners of the Heisman today.

for me its the guy who has the single biggest impact on his teams performance, and his performance is good enough nationally to compare to others in the discussion. Sometimes that shows in stats, sometimes not. I agree, the Heisman voters have changed how they vote. But if you really look at the last 20 years....the guy who wins...sure you might argue a couple coulda been different, but the last 20 years, the guy who wins is probably the right pick.

I would say one could argue against henry, Ingram, Bradford, ron dayne, jason white....but the rest is about right.

For me its not the best player on the best team. Which is what this has become. As proof, Ingram, Richardson, Henry....isn't it a hint when you keep losing heisman RB that the team is just as good and the next RB becomes the Heisman RB. Doesn't that suggest maybe he isn't that valuable...and its really anyone's game?

So this is why it was a tragedy the Navy Qb wasn't top 2

Its also why for me, the LSU RB deserved it more than Henry. Great production, his team loses 5-6 without him. Henry's team may lose 2 at most.

Academics is not part of it for me. Just stay eligible and out of trouble.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The team's record shouldn't really have any impact on whether a player wins the Heisman or not, but unfortunately it does. This probably has more to do with press coverage than anything else. If you're the best player in the country, but your team goes 4-8, you're not going to be all over ESPN every day, so the voters may not see you all that much.

If the Heisman is supposed to go to the most outstanding player, then last year that was Christian McCaffrey, hands down...unfortunately the voters didn't see it that way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The team's record shouldn't really have any impact on whether a player wins the Heisman or not, but unfortunately it does. This probably has more to do with press coverage than anything else. If you're the best player in the country, but your team goes 4-8, you're not going to be all over ESPN every day, so the voters may not see you all that much.

If the Heisman is supposed to go to the most outstanding player, then last year that was Christian McCaffrey, hands down...unfortunately the voters didn't see it that way.
Yup, CM got hosed.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo it should go to the player who gives his team the best chance to win. For instance if bama still could have won without Henry than Henry wouldn't win unless his numbers where just that much better than the rest, now if they didn't have another RB that would help win as much he would still be considered. Now if a smaller team has a qb with good numbers and without him the team wouldn't be the same then he should win imo because he was the one to give his team the best shot at winning because he honestly had to do more without the allstars around him making him look better. JT is a perfect example because he was the main reason we did so well in 2014, he made the rest of the team better imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Imo it should go to the player who gives his team the best chance to win. For instance if bama still could have won without Henry than Henry wouldn't win unless his numbers where just that much better than the rest, now if they didn't have another RB that would help win as much he would still be considered. Now if a smaller team has a qb with good numbers and without him the team wouldn't be the same then he should win imo because he was the one to give his team the best shot at winning because he honestly had to do more without the allstars around him making him look better. JT is a perfect example because he was the main reason we did so well in 2014, he made the rest of the team better imo.

Well, it seems to me that with so much based on speculation, it's hard to be definitive one way or the other. For example, I think that there's a legitimate interpretation, in light of 2015, that Smelter or Shaq were more significant in 2014.

Football is a team sport, and identifying the best player within a team context and a variety of team qualities is pretty tough. So, I guess that I'm not bothered by the rubric that rewards the player that stands-out from a team that stands-out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member