Adelson: Will Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas have 2016 to remember?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That chart doesn't show turnovers though...one area JT was worse in in 2015.
The article has this:
"Even on the ground, Thomas was beat up routinely. In 2014, he fumbled on just 2.8 percent of his carries. Last year, that rate climbed to a dreadful 7.6 percent. He converted far fewer third downs and had nearly twice as many negative runs."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good article overall. I don't see a huge need for improvement in rushing or passing for JT. I think he mostly needs to improve in playing within the system, not forcing plays, and displaying leadership. Leadership may be the biggest factor and it might be the most difficult in some ways.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
A bit of a necro bump. Now that we're close to Toe Meets Leather and know some of the pieces in play, what is everyone's expectations of JT this year, statistically?

Another look back from David Hale:

Full article w/ more stats: Georgia Tech's Justin Thomas hopes supporting cast steps up in 2016

Wow. Wait. He was 10 percent worse in completion. That is not pretty much as accurate. But yard before contact shows us no help.

And his loss yardage rate was due to poor blocking. Probably the percentage rate was too....

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
All of these statistics are influenced by multiple factors but I'm hoping one of the biggest ones affecting drop-offs from 2014 was not having Byerly to share the load. There are very few things in football that are more important than having a healthy quarterback since even relatively small injuries can lead to drops in passing accuracy and even fumbles. Early in his career one of the big question marks was whether or not JeT could handle the pounding he would take. He has proven himself to be pretty tough but I think it's pretty clear that having backups that can help carry the load will be very important.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Wait. He was 10 percent worse in completion. That is not pretty much as accurate. But yard before contact shows us no help.

And his loss yardage rate was due to poor blocking. Probably the percentage rate was too....
He's referring to the % Off Target, which was nearly the same. The inference is that his passing was still relatively as accurate, but the receivers did not haul in the passes as well. I can believe that, although I don't think his touch was as good even on the on-target passes, due to the line not giving him enough time.