AD Hire: J Batt

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My dad was an E-8 in the Army. He never let me forget who really ran the military. LOL
You might want to check out The Siege of Firebase Gloria. Lee Eremy stars as a staff sergeant who takes over defense of the base. The NVA spots him at once and tries to kill him throughout. Ermey wrote his own dialogue for the movie and, while it never got great play, it is one of the only movies about the Vietnam War that catches the way it was fought. No mercy to speak of on either side.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I've anecdotally heard that a lot of ATL and DFW students that go to Alabama or Auburn get a deal on tuition, either by scholarships or an in kind in state tuition because they want the really good students who can't get in to Tech, UGa, U of Texas, etc. Any truth to that? Heard similar things about Tennessee, South Carolina, etc.
This is the case for Alabama. I can’t speak to the other schools. They have some very generous scholarships for out of state students based on their GPA and standardized test scores. No offense to anyone but in most cases I wouldn’t call these kids the cream of the crop either they’re solid students that couldn’t crack a high end state school

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is the case for Alabama. I can’t speak to the other schools. They have some very generous scholarships for out of state students based on their GPA and standardized test scores. No offense to anyone but in most cases I wouldn’t call these kids the cream of the crop either they’re solid students that couldn’t crack a high end state school
UA loves them some National Merit Scholars. The students who achieve this make a minimum score on the PSAT. UA likes to brag on how many they have.

Missy State also gives a lot of free $$ for certain out of state students.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UA loves them some National Merit Scholars. The students who achieve this make a minimum score on the PSAT. UA likes to brag on how many they have.

Missy State also gives a lot of free $$ for certain out of state students.
So does Univ of South Carolina. My youngest son applied there. They refunded his application fee and offered in-state tuition. Resident of North Carolina. He was not admitted to GT but good SAT and decent GPA.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So does Univ of South Carolina. My youngest son applied there. They refunded his application fee and offered in-state tuition. Resident of North Carolina. He was not admitted to GT but good SAT and decent GPA.
My late son had a perfect SAT & 35.25 ACT with extracurriculars, volunteer service, & leadership out the wazoo. He won the highest scholarship opportunity Vandy offers - the Cornelius Vanderbilt schollie. He also won full ride schollie to every other school he applied to, even ones that included site interviews, as he was excellent at speaking and communicating as well. He was one of 10 students worldwide that received an offer to UAB’s early medical school program. (1 of only 2 Caucasian students who received this award)

GT accepted him, but even though he was legacy, he got sorted out for GT’s highest schollies - did not even get to interview for them. I am not upset, but you would have to look long & high to find a better resume than my son’s. He even won junior volunteer of the year locally & for the entire state hospital system.

Later, when he changed to the Air Force Academy, he was told his total score for how they rate new undergraduates was the highest they had ever seen.

Always was curious about how GT treated him, but they have the right to do as they please.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't say they aren't the cream of the crop necessarily. Just likely couldn't make the cut at GT or UGa, which can be based on a number of factors these days, including how many are accepted from your high school. Those two are really a crap shoot these days.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Most colleges and universities are seeing a sharp decline in applicants and enrollees because the outrageously high cost of attendance is catching up with them. People are less likely to take on the student loans to end up in with a low quality degree that does not give them enough salary to pay off the student loans. The economy is making it worse. This could be why there are more opportunities for good students to get financial assistance.

A STEM school like GT is less effected by this. Engineering programs have no shortage of applicants, because the benefit of graduating is worth the cost. Even trade schools are seeing an uptick. One can make good money coming from a trade school without overpaying for education.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm glad I didn't have you on my crew then. On a boat with a small crew, you can't really afford to lose anyone, officer or enlisted. Most of my men and women were superior in that regard, and I had a Chief Bo's'n determined to help me succeed. At least, he was once he realized I wasn't going to get in his way on most things.
There's another thing about officers it seems. They seem to misplace their sense of humor. Sometimes thjey misplace themselves. I was in communications and our OIC was a major. Could not prove it by me, since I worked three different shifts for 14 months and never set eyes on him. The guys called him Big Foot.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There's another thing about officers it seems. They seem to misplace their sense of humor. Sometimes thjey misplace themselves. I was in communications and our OIC was a major. Could not prove it by me, since I worked three different shifts for 14 months and never set eyes on him. The guys called him Big Foot.

My apologies if you intended that as a joke. The joke font doesn't always come through on these pages. As to the second point you make, it is sadly often true. I was taught by a wise enlisted man that there are two kinds of officers: Leaders who learn and listen in order to be examples, and those who depend on the enlisted men without ever really showing them the respect they deserve. The second set rarely put any stock in "skills" as they expect that the people they "lead" will be the experts there. When I was the OOD my crew was initially surprised when I would look at the charts and actually know how to navigate with them. GPS, even then, was making navigation easy and QMs lazy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Most colleges and universities are seeing a sharp decline in applicants and enrollees because the outrageously high cost of attendance is catching up with them. People are less likely to take on the student loans to end up in with a low quality degree that does not give them enough salary to pay off the student loans. The economy is making it worse. This could be why there are more opportunities for good students to get financial assistance.

A STEM school like GT is less effected by this. Engineering programs have no shortage of applicants, because the benefit of graduating is worth the cost. Even trade schools are seeing an uptick. One can make good money coming from a trade school without overpaying for education.
1. Yes. Costs are way out of line, lar4gely due to the enormous expansion of administrative staff and the salaries paid them. Faculty salaries - minus adjuncts, mind - are stagnant in real terms. Also, schools have to lay on a lot of unnecessary stuff - like, say, inter collegiate athletics - to say competitive. A quick look at OECD stats on this shows that the only country that has even half of these kinds of expenditures for post-secondary education is the UK. Oh, and the economy is making a difference only not the way you think. The unemployment rate in the US shows a direct negative relationship with college admissions; when unemployment is low, people don't retreat to college to wait for better times and admissions are lower. Same as for the Army, btw.

2. Yes. Schools like Tech can pick and chose since their degrees have greater value. Trade schools - I guess you mean business and such programs at colleges - also do well, comparatively. If you mean community. colleges, however, you wrong. They are on life support all over the country. Again, low unemployment –> low admissions, especially at that level.

3. One other thing: colleges and universities are always looking for candidates with high test scores. There are the obvious reasons, but the other is that they raise the average scores for the institutions. That makes it easier, if you are a state institution, to admit young people with lower scores and still ;look good to state legislatures. "See! We have students from all over the state - including from your district - and we still are a prestige school! Give us more money!" Sometimes this works.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
1. Yes. Costs are way out of line, lar4gely due to the enormous expansion of administrative staff and the salaries paid them. Faculty salaries - minus adjuncts, mind - are stagnant in real terms. Also, schools have to lay on a lot of unnecessary stuff - like, say, inter collegiate athletics - to say competitive. A quick look at OECD stats on this shows that the only country that has even half of these kinds of expenditures for post-secondary education is the UK. Oh, and the economy is making a difference only not the way you think. The unemployment rate in the US shows a direct negative relationship with college admissions; when unemployment is low, people don't retreat to college to wait for better times and admissions are lower. Same as for the Army, btw.

2. Yes. Schools like Tech can pick and chose since their degrees have greater value. Trade schools - I guess you mean business and such programs at colleges - also do well, comparatively. If you mean community. colleges, however, you wrong. They are on life support all over the country. Again, low unemployment –> low admissions, especially at that level.

3. One other thing: colleges and universities are always looking for candidates with high test scores. There are the obvious reasons, but the other is that they raise the average scores for the institutions. That makes it easier, if you are a state institution, to admit young people with lower scores and still ;look good to state legislatures. "See! We have students from all over the state - including from your district - and we still are a prestige school! Give us more money!" Sometimes this works.
Trade school means plumbers, carpenters, electricians, welders, etc, basically skilled manual labor.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My apologies if you intended that as a joke. The joke font doesn't always come through on these pages. As to the second point you make, it is sadly often true. I was taught by a wise enlisted man that there are two kinds of officers: Leaders who learn and listen in order to be examples, and those who depend on the enlisted men without ever really showing them the respect they deserve. The second set rarely put any stock in "skills" as they expect that the people they "lead" will be the experts there. When I was the OOD my crew was initially surprised when I would look at the charts and actually know how to navigate with them. GPS, even then, was making navigation easy and QMs lazy.
No problem. I related that story to a good friend, one who flew 25 missions over Germany as a B-17 pilot and brought 'em back alive, 10 men, every time, made captain at 20 -- credited it not to skill but "well, guys kept getting killed". He retired as a colonel after flying in three wars, and retired as a squadron commander at Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, N.C. He made it a point to visit every part of his squadron every day, even if it was but a walk-through. He had an incredible fatalistic view of things, which he said was necessary to get up and fly 15-18 hours every other day, and from which he would return with his airplane shot full of holes "the size of a half dollar" from German flac. I guess the point was that he had a 10-man crew and only two were officers, and it was teamwork in the air that kept them all alive. He went through three airplanes but essentially the same crew.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So after last night y’all don’t think
Batt called Alabama to ask for his job back? He had to be thinking, oh boy what have I gotten myself into.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
So after last night y’all don’t think
Batt called Alabama to ask for his job back? He had to be thinking, oh boy what have I gotten myself into.

I’m sure he went in eyes open. The dismal turnout and the poor on field performance are par for the course.

The fireworks fiasco was a new level of disfunction for me. I don’t care about fireworks but multiple announcements were made for some type of display after the game. I assume the fireworks guy pulled a Gibson and just ran away? Confusing to piss off what few fans were left.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Trade school means plumbers, carpenters, electricians, welders, etc, basically skilled manual labor.
How I wish the US had a systematic program for this. But we don't. Something like the Germans use would be a great addition to our educational system. The CCs are a start, but not comprehensive enough, imho.