AD Hire: J Batt

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As a former enlisted man to all former officers: you are on your own, sport.

Well I'm glad I didn't have you on my crew then. On a boat with a small crew, you can't really afford to lose anyone, officer or enlisted. Most of my men and women were superior in that regard, and I had a Chief Bo's'n determined to help me succeed. At least, he was once he realized I wasn't going to get in his way on most things.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That came largely from my interactions with the GTAA, which just came across as a bureaucracy full of mediocre talent

The GTAA has two issues (talent-wise) and that's a) there are a LOT more sports marketing jobs in ATL that pay better than the GTAA, so you are not attracting the best. That's NOT true in a place like Knoxville and the UT Athletic Office has top notch people (who are also well paid).

The other issue is many of the GTAA positions have been contracted out. Yes, they identify themselves as GTAA but they really work for other firms. It's hard to make a real impact when it's not your primary employer, but rather, a temporary hired gun.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The GTAA has two issues (talent-wise) and that's a) there are a LOT more sports marketing jobs in ATL that pay better than the GTAA, so you are not attracting the best. That's NOT true in a place like Knoxville and the UT Athletic Office has top notch people (who are also well paid).

The other issue is many of the GTAA positions have been contracted out. Yes, they identify themselves as GTAA but they really work for other firms. It's hard to make a real impact when it's not your primary employer, but rather, a temporary hired gun.
Great points. I was wondering recently about the talent issue at Tech Administration (not just GTAA.) Are the 'inside' salaries limited somehow by the fact that they are state employees?

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
<<<Just curious as I've worked a lot of different places, never in Alabama, but worked for significant periods in 17 of 50 states over the years plus DC almost exclusively in Engineering related fields. I've never met a single Auburn STEM grad in my entire career, not a single Engineer, scientist or doctor. Where do they work, Huntsville? After all these years you'd think one of them would have snuck out of the state by now and I've have tripped over one of them. Worked with lots of business majors, some lawyers, a law enforcement grad, a couple sociology types, 3 history types and an english major. I've never seen one anywhere even outside of a professional setting.>>>>

How about Tim Cook, CEO of Apple and Joe Forehand former CEO of Accenture? There are many more you can find if you look.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If anyone has an issue with the rules as stated, please feel free to PM me or any other moderator/admin on this site. I am considering this matter closed and would appreciate this thread moving back to discussion about Jason Batt, our new AD. There is no need to further discuss what constitutes name calling in this thread.

Just cleaned up this thread. Let's keep it on topic.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Just curious as I've worked a lot of different places, never in Alabama, but worked for significant periods in 17 of 50 states over the years plus DC almost exclusively in Engineering related fields. I've never met a single Auburn STEM grad in my entire career, not a single Engineer, scientist or doctor. Where do they work, Huntsville? After all these years you'd think one of them would have snuck out of the state by now and I've have tripped over one of them. Worked with lots of business majors, some lawyers, a law enforcement grad, a couple sociology types, 3 history types and an english major. I've never seen one anywhere even outside of a professional setting.

Lockheed Martin employs several Auburn engineers, some in Management, some very good people/engineers, and most report to a GT boss.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That's generally true, or used to be. Auburn now has a medical school and has branched out. It still serves the state whereas Alabama has more out of state students than in-state.
At least you had the good grace and class not to make fun of my geography mix up. Alabama now has more out of state students than in state? How about that? I will have to tell my Alabama in laws about that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of name calling, and moving this back on topic:

This guy checks all the boxes and would seem to indicate a new direction for athletics at Tech. I wish him all the best. God knows the entire organization needs to be more, what's the word? Professional I suppose like Alabama, Tennessee, Florida etc.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
At least you had the good grace and class not to make fun of my geography mix up. Alabama now has more out of state students than in state? How about that? I will have to tell my Alabama in laws about that.
Auburn is seen by the State Legislature as "THE university of Alabama" as it serves the interests of the state and has a higher percentage of state residents attending. Alabama is the flagship school, but ... lately has been accepting FAR more students from other states, particularly Georgia and Texas, because of the out of state tuition. It's simply more profitable to do so.

What I find fascinating about the two schools is the funding model. The State collects money through property taxes and then, there's a formula to determine how much goes to the two, and then it's divided 50/50. No further politics. If Alabama wants more, they have to call Auburn and start horse trading. And the same for Auburn.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is seen by the State Legislature as "THE university of Alabama" as it serves the interests of the state and has a higher percentage of state residents attending. Alabama is the flagship school, but ... lately has been accepting FAR more students from other states, particularly Georgia and Texas, because of the out of state tuition. It's simply more profitable to do so.

What I find fascinating about the two schools is the funding model. The State collects money through property taxes and then, there's a formula to determine how much goes to the two, and then it's divided 50/50. No further politics. If Alabama wants more, they have to call Auburn and start horse trading. And the same for Auburn.

I've anecdotally heard that a lot of ATL and DFW students that go to Alabama or Auburn get a deal on tuition, either by scholarships or an in kind in state tuition because they want the really good students who can't get in to Tech, UGa, U of Texas, etc. Any truth to that? Heard similar things about Tennessee, South Carolina, etc.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've anecdotally heard that a lot of ATL and DFW students that go to Alabama or Auburn get a deal on tuition, either by scholarships or an in kind in state tuition because they want the really good students who can't get in to Tech, UGa, U of Texas, etc. Any truth to that? Heard similar things about Tennessee, South Carolina, etc.
Bama has a very high count of National Merit Scholars attending. It would not surprise me that they are subsidized.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have heard similar from neighbors, especially with regard to Bama. Auburn not so much, and UTK accepted my son but wanted $37k/ year. Same for Clem. He must not have qualified for whatever help they give!
4.3 GPA out of HS and a 33 ACT.
My understanding is the 33 ACT is worth big money at Bama (neighbor sent his daughter) but my son didn’t apply so total hearsay

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I have heard similar from neighbors, especially with regard to Bama. Auburn not so much, and UTK accepted my son but wanted $37k/ year. Same for Clem. He must not have qualified for whatever help they give!
4.3 GPA out of HS and a 33 ACT.
My understanding is the 33 ACT is worth big money at Bama (neighbor sent his daughter) but my son didn’t apply so total hearsay

I've recently hired two kids out of Alabama and one from Auburn. Two are from DFW and one from Denver. They all wanted to either get away from home, didn't want to go to U of Texas or maybe couldn't get it, wanted a big football experience and all got serious money in scholarships or tuition reductions.