AD Hire: J Batt

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You left out that your fellow officers could, you know, help you and your men and women avoid being killed. Now, that's a different dynamic.

True. It's really hard to describe a service academy to anyone that hasn't been to one. The camaraderie and sense of family amongst classmates is like nothing I've ever experienced anywhere else in life. Though, to be completely fair, as officers we aren't generally depending on fellow officers to save our lives, but rather the invaluable NCOs and enlisted men and women who make up the backbone of our armed forces.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
True. It's really hard to describe a service academy to anyone that hasn't been to one. The camaraderie and sense of family amongst classmates is like nothing I've ever experienced anywhere else in life. Though, to be completely fair, as officers we aren't generally depending on fellow officers to save our lives, but rather the invaluable NCOs and enlisted men and women who make up the backbone of our armed forces.
Yes, I forgot the pros.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Engineering and technology seem like half the campus at Auburn. Maybe more. I’d call Auburn a majority STEM school. Yes, they do have more degrees, but Engineering and related disciplines permeate the campus.

Tech could have a similar “Tech family” atmosphere. Auburn is less stressful, but we could make it work.

The service academies make it work, and they’re arguably MORE stressful than Tech
Just curious as I've worked a lot of different places, never in Alabama, but worked for significant periods in 17 of 50 states over the years plus DC almost exclusively in Engineering related fields. I've never met a single Auburn STEM grad in my entire career, not a single Engineer, scientist or doctor. Where do they work, Huntsville? After all these years you'd think one of them would have snuck out of the state by now and I've have tripped over one of them. Worked with lots of business majors, some lawyers, a law enforcement grad, a couple sociology types, 3 history types and an english major. I've never seen one anywhere even outside of a professional setting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just curious as I've worked a lot of different places, never in Alabama, but worked for significant periods in 17 of 50 states over the years plus DC almost exclusively in Engineering related fields. I've never met a single Auburn STEM grad in my entire career, not a single Engineer, scientist or doctor. Where do they work, Huntsville? After all these years you'd think one of them would have snuck out of the state by now and I've have tripped over one of them. Worked with lots of business majors, some lawyers, a law enforcement grad, a couple sociology types, 3 history types and an english major. I've never seen one anywhere even outside of a professional setting.

I've got a few of them in my facility here in SC.

slugboy

Staff member
I have friends from there over at JPL, and run into a ton at Southern Company, various construction companies, various defense contractors, and all over the auto companies in Alabama and Tennessee.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
No, OVER the connector. There is some billion dollar plan to build a park over the connector from Williams or North to 14th or 17th streets, sort of a small Big Dig. Read that the infrastructure bill may have had some money for this or for a study for this? Would mostly be park land, trees, grass, walking trails, but could see some Tech related stuff as well.
Sorry. I haven’t lived in ATL for 10 years. Could you post a link about this plan or map to area you are talking about. Sounds pretty awesome.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. I haven’t lived in ATL for 10 years. Could you post a link about this plan or map to area you are talking about. Sounds pretty awesome.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I've seen that same nightmare played out before just as you describe, at a university (but at a lower level). It's like a lesson of exactly how to be the worst possible administrator/manager.
You see it in churches, politics, and school systems also. Change just for the sake of change is not always beneficial. See previous hire.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Auburn's mission is to provide graduates to the State of Alabama. Recruiting is heavily state (or nearby state) focused. Most students are from Alabama and tend to stay here. You will find them at Alabama Power, the State Docks, Airbus, etc.

If you want to look outside of Auburn, Tim Cook (CEO at Apple) and Lloyd Austin (Sec of Defense) are good examples.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Auburn's mission is to provide graduates to the State of Alabama. Recruiting is heavily state (or nearby state) focused. Most students are from Alabama and tend to stay here. You will find them at Alabama Power, the State Docks, Airbus, etc.

If you want to look outside of Auburn, Tim Cook (CEO at Apple) and Lloyd Austin (Sec of Defense) are good examples.
I had two Auburn graduates work in my lab at IBM. Both were very capable engineers and good employees. Both are still there but close to retirement now. Auburn's degree was like GT. It was a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and not a BSEE.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Back on topic. I am pleased with the hire. Let's hope he is a good communicator. So far he is saying the right things. I suspect he is astute enough to consider Key if he gets 3 more wins and a bowl which would be the safe hire for a new AD. There is some positive momentum in the program now. Structure the contract such that if he cannot sustain success , the buyout would not be so onerous. I am sure BOB is also on his potential list.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If the presser for ADJB is any indication, Cabrera seems to be excited about the mention of soccer at GT. He pumped his fist a few times when a reporter asked J Batt about the possibility.

IMO, GT would quickly be among the top teams in the ACC if we brought in womens and mens soccer. I started playing soccer after college, and I still play on men's team. The amount of fields, soccer academies, and kids littering the soccer fields have grown exponentially since I started. GA now produces some of the best talent in the country for both women's and men's players.

If GT ever does get a soccer team, I'll be one of the first in line for season tix and donation towards it starting a program.
Agree completely. I’ll throw in that my son would have stayed home and continued the Tech tradition and not gone up the street to play for Clemson. The Hope scholarship would give Tech a huge advantage over other state programs with soccer not being fully funded by NCAA rules. Much like baseball.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
As I recall, Stansbury was widely commended for saying the right things when he came to Tech. Did a good job, too, except for one little thing...
Stansbury did a lot of good things. Most sports are competitive and many made the NCAA playoffs. Getting funding for the Edge Center and others was also good. But at the end having train wrecks on your 2 main revenue sports (excluding one outlier year for men's BB) just wrecked overall Financials. At the end getting our financial sheet back in balance will help all our sports

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about engineering on the Plains but my understanding from my Yellow Hammer state in laws is that students that aspire to be doctors, lawyers, accountants, that sort of thing go to Alabama while most of the vets, foresters (like my nephew), teachers (like my sister in law) and business people go to Auburn. Bear Bryant wouldn't even call it "Auburn" or "Alabama Polytech Institute" (Its name when my father in law was there during the Depression, he called it "that cow college on the west side of the state". FWIW

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As a former enlisted man to all former officers: you are on your own, sport.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about engineering on the Plains but my understanding from my Yellow Hammer state in laws is that students that aspire to be doctors, lawyers, accountants, that sort of thing go to Alabama while most of the vets, foresters (like my nephew), teachers (like my sister in law) and business people go to Auburn. Bear Bryant wouldn't even call it "Auburn" or "Alabama Polytech Institute" (Its name when my father in law was there during the Depression, he called it "that cow college on the west side of the state". FWIW
That's generally true, or used to be. Auburn now has a medical school and has branched out. It still serves the state whereas Alabama has more out of state students than in-state.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have a number of well established and respected engineers from Auburn; some as far away as Seattle.