• Nate Pine
  • John Hartwell
  • Wren Baker
  • Terry Tumey
  • Doug Gillen
  • Bryan Maggard
  • Jeremy McClain
  • JD Wicker
Shoot, I might as well submit my resume too. Thamel's list is way too long. I'm betting on the Tech grads.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
you need both. they have to understand athletics and business. too much one way is a problem
I agree. And I don’t think he/she needs to have coached or played football either, but needs to have been an AD or Asst AD at a school where winning football is important...not necessarily P5 or even FBS, either.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Any thoughts or ideas?

GT graduate
  • Graham Neff
  • Geoff Duncan

Pete Thamel's List ESPN
  • Lynda Tealer
  • Brian White
  • Troy Dannen
  • Zac Selmon
  • Eddie Nunez
  • Mike Buddie
  • Allen Greene
  • Nate Pine
  • John Hartwell
  • Wren Baker
  • Terry Tumey
  • Doug Gillen
  • Bryan Maggard
  • Jeremy McClain
  • JD Wicker
After Stansbury, we placed a two syllable limit on candidate last names?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
my opinion.

screw people at schools and already in athletics. None of them get the business and contracts world

hire a CEO type, a person who ran their own business; not someone who occupied a corporate seat that got promoted, gets running a true company; their own company....not running a governmental entity. This person probably already has a ton of money, maybe its a pay cut, not sure. But I think we have to hire someone who understands running a business, not spending money from donations.
I like this concept in principle, if there isn't a slam dunk acting AD that we can poach. Lot of organizations look for leadership from "out of industry" in order to disrupt or innovate. Do we want an AD who is going to catch up to where our competition is today, or has the skills to potentially leapfrog ahead of where our competition will be in 5-10 years?

Directionally Syracuse did what you're saying, hiring an ESPN exec (alum) as AD in 2016. He's yet to hire or fire a football or men's basketball head coach, so impossible to gauge his value there as of yet.
During his distinguished career at ESPN, which spanned more than 30 years, Wildhack held a number of leadership roles and was responsible for several firsts at the network. Those firsts included producing ESPN’s first live regular-season college football game in September 1984 and its first live NFL game in August 1987.

Before joining the Orange, Wildhack most recently served as the network’s executive vice president for programming and production. He was responsible for oversight of all ESPN and ABC game, event and studio production work for domestic and international television and radio, as well as programming acquisitions, rights-holder relationship management and scheduling. He managed all league and conference relationships, negotiated all live sports television rights and was responsible for 50,000 hours of on-air content annually.

From 2007 to 2012, Wildhack was ESPN’s executive vice president for programming and acquisitions. In that role, he oversaw all rights negotiations and managed relationships with rights holders for all ESPN entities. These included ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN International, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN3, ESPN Mobile Properties, print and more. In 2009, he began leading strategic program planning for all ESPN television networks, ESPN on ABC and ESPN’s digital platforms.

Folks often talk here about needing to do something different to succeed competitively. @33jacket's hypothesis is one way of thinking about it.

slugboy

Staff member
Hmm thats a funny observation.

We went from One syllable (Dodd Rice Blaine) To three syllables (Radokovich, Bobinski Stansbury)

I think you mean “Braine”, but I’d be happy to retroactively swap him for whoever this “Blaine” cat it—I’m sure our budget would look different.
I’d also pronounce “Braine” with three syllables just to make the rule apply.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'll be at the Clemson game tomorrow night (wife is a grad and we have GT and Clemson season tickets). Will see if I can find Graham and tell him Momma is calling..... :LOL: :buzz: :gt: