• Wren Baker
  • Terry Tumey
  • Doug Gillen
  • Bryan Maggard
  • Jeremy McClain
  • JD Wicker

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue who's who at the AD level.

My $0.02: Hire someone at the lower level that's run a full athletic department (football + basketball + all other non revenue sports). No more Mike Bobinski type ADs who didn't have to operate a full athletic program. Someone who's made hires for football and basketball head coaches. Has a proven record of hiring successful coaches at those positions. Is good at fundraising among big AND small donors. Has shown creativity with generating revenue outside of traditional revenue sources (media contracts, donors, ticket sales, etc.). Has a big vision, thinks outside of the box, and has shown a track record of how to implement those visions and ideas.

Why from a lower level? Because those ADs have dealt with the same constraints GT usually has, but at GT it will be on a bigger scale. GT will have more resources, so you hope to get a exponential affect from that AD's experience combined with GT's resources.

Assistant ADs from power programs (see: DRad) are fine, but I'd like to see a track record of heavy involvement with coaches and fundraising. My preference would still be an AD at the lower level with a proven track record.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I thought the qualifications that our Pres mentioned in the context of what is happening to CFB now was right on. Certainly they would need other qualifications that most would need.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
my opinion.

screw people at schools and already in athletics. None of them get the business and contracts world

hire a CEO type, a person who ran their own business; not someone who occupied a corporate seat that got promoted, gets running a true company; their own company....not running a governmental entity. This person probably already has a ton of money, maybe its a pay cut, not sure. But I think we have to hire someone who understands running a business, not spending money from donations.

JacketFan137

Banned
my opinion.

screw people at schools and already in athletics. None of them get the business and contracts world

hire a CEO type, a person who ran their own business; not someone who occupied a corporate seat that got promoted, gets running a true company; their own company....not running a governmental entity. This person probably already has a ton of money, maybe its a pay cut, not sure. But I think we have to hire someone who understands running a business, not spending money from donations.
you need both. they have to understand athletics and business. too much one way is a problem

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
my opinion.

All of these reasons, plus his connections to the highest levers of political power in Georgia, are why Geoff Duncan is being pushed as a candidate by some. Was CEO of Wellview Health before running for office. Also has athletic experience as a former professional baseball player.

Not saying he's my preferred candidate, but he's an intriguing one.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you need both. they have to understand athletics and business. too much one way is a problem
with college sports becoming minor league pro ball I do not think too much the business way is a problem

all MLB and NFL owners are business men....they get it and thrive. None of them were institutional or government employees....

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
my opinion.

Someone with a strong sales and marketing skill set as well

JacketFan137

Banned
with college sports becoming minor league pro ball I do not think too much the business way is a problem

all MLB and NFL owners are business men....they get it and thrive. None of them were institutional or government employees....
not a like for like comparison. the vast majority of the owners in sports do not have too much influence over their teams as the gm is the one negotiating the contracts, creating the roster etc. you need a football/baseball person in that role. not necessarily a former player or coach, but they have to understand the game and analytics enough to make good decisions

college ad is somewhere in the middle. they have to make good sporting decisions and understand the business component. both are important

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
not a like for like comparison. the vast majority of the owners in sports do not have too much influence over their teams as the gm is the one negotiating the contracts, creating the roster etc. you need a football/baseball person in that role. not necessarily a former player or coach, but they have to understand the game and analytics enough to make good decisions

college ad is somewhere in the middle. they have to make good sporting decisions and understand the business component. both are important
eh, scouts make suggestions. GMs and owners make the decisions. You are not entirely correct, many owners the buck stops with them on the choice of creating a roster. Some dont. So I don't entirely agree. NFL owners are all involved in contracts

College AD's have ZERO to do with evaluating and recruiting players; or hiring assistants, they hire coaches like owners do with the gm. All owners hire the coaches man, very few GMs have total control on that. Its an owners game.....so your comparison on building a team is wrong via the nfl lets say. College AD's its all about organization, money, marketing, running the business, and hiring main coaches. Just like NFL owners....i think the parallel is more to on side than the other

I want a business man. Not an institutional weenie. Just me. Done with the discussion. Gave my opinion. others can agree or not. Not a big deal

Techster

Helluva Engineer
eh, scouts make suggestions. GMs and owners make the decisions. You are not entirely correct, many owners the buck stops with them on the choice of creating a roster. Some dont. So I don't entirely agree. NFL owners are all involved in contracts

College AD's have ZERO to do with evaluating and recruiting players; or hiring assistants, they hire coaches like owners do with the gm. All owners hire the coaches man, very few GMs have total control on that. Its an owners game.....so your comparison on building a team is wrong via the nfl lets say. College AD's its all about organization, money, marketing, running the business, and hiring main coaches. Just like NFL owners....i think the parallel is more to on side than the other

I want a business man. Not an institutional weenie. Just me. Done with the discussion. Gave my opinion. others can agree or not. Not a big deal

Running an athletic department is nothing like being an owner or GM. It's kind of a mix of both. You're running "mini" franchises (each sport), and each one has its own ecosystem...but they all share the same pool of revenue. Each "franchise" answers to the AD, but the AD ultimate answers to the board and school president.

It's very unique and hard to describe to anyone outside of sports.

JacketFan137

Banned
Running an athletic department is nothing like being an owner or GM. It's kind of a mix of both. You're running "mini" franchises (each sport), and each one has its own ecosystem...but they all share the same pool of revenue. Each "franchise" answers to the AD, but the AD ultimate answers to the board and school president.

It's very unique and hard to describe to anyone outside of sports.
also have to consider that the person is responsible for more than just football and basketball. while those are the cash cows and focus the guy needs to understand what they can do for womens sports, baseball (although ours is like a self contained operation at this point), etc.

have a hard time imagining how many other businesses have such a weird list of responsibilities and expectations across so many different areas.