AD Candidate List

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Man, I read a sobering 'report' in some SI.com or w/e article about current coaching openings.

Described ours as "not even on 1st base yet" but said that makes sense due to our AD position likely to be filled first. I felt this all along so not sure why it hit different seeing an eggspert say it out loud.

Also mentioned that AZSt was also considered not having started yet. But theirs makes no sense since they still have their AD.

If I can dig up the link, I'll post it.
Well, even with an AD, I’m not sure how far along you should expect to be in the coaching search during the first week of October. I’m sure things are happening. I’m sure what’s happening can’t be publicized for a multitude of reasons. Unless our candidate is sitting at home unemployed right now, neither he or we would want to put much of anything out there to media. Sometimes I think media publishes crap like that because they feel like they are being denied info or missing a story.
I’ll be worried / disappointed if we are still hearing nothing in mid-November. Until then, it’s all due diligence or holding our cards close.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
... You and many others would probably be upset if they flat out quit covering GT at all.

It ain't perfect, but beast of thejeebies are up a lot of newspapers of had to read when I lived elsewhere.

Ken does a good job. I was just noting that his information is incorrect.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well, even with an AD, I’m not sure how far along you should expect to be in the coaching search during the first week of October. I’m sure things are happening. I’m sure what’s happening can’t be publicized for a multitude of reasons. Unless our candidate is sitting at home unemployed right now, neither he or we would want to put much of anything out there to media. Sometimes I think media publishes crap like that because they feel like they are being denied info or missing a story.
I’ll be worried / disappointed if we are still hearing nothing in mid-November. Until then, it’s all due diligence or holding our cards close.

Yeah this is all fair. I intended to convey that i do indeed get the timing is actually 'on time' considering when we made our move. It's just gonna feel like forever, although it's not.

I think you make a fantastic point regarding media folks putting stories out like this, which are purely speculation. They have to feed the beast and I'm sure they don't like when they don't find loose lips.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah this is all fair. I intended to convey that i do indeed get the timing is actually 'on time' considering when we made our move. It's just gonna feel like forever, although it's not.

I think you make a fantastic point regarding media folks putting stories out like this, which are purely speculation. They have to feed the beast and I'm sure they don't like when they don't find loose lips.
I get it... I’m anxious for news too. Problem is, in order to get news on the coaching front, we need to get a lot deeper into this season or reach a point of no return. It’s only a month or so... as hard as that is to believe. I’m not wanting to wish any of it away yet... kind of interested to see where this goes! ;)

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Just read an interesting article in The Athletic about trying to keep coaching searches confidential. Virginia's AD was wrapping up his hire of Mendenhall but hadn't announced it yet. In the local paper was a well-researched article listing 5 candidates. The article was 0-5. 😀

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Oh, if I was responsible for the AD and Coaching searches I would definitely feed a bunch of false info out there to confuse the situation. They are going to find something, so let them find what you want them to find so they quit digging as hard!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Oh, if I was responsible for the AD and Coaching searches I would definitely feed a bunch of false info out there to confuse the situation. They are going to find something, so let them find what you want them to find so they quit digging as hard!
None of the final face to face interviews will be anywhere near Atlanta.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I DEFINITELY think some of that is going on...but I think it's more to see where the leaky holes on the ship are. Part of rebuilding the AD department is also finding out who's worth keeping, and who is not. A few weeks back Ken had a writeup about AD candidates and one of the names mentioned was Allen Greene formerly of Auburn. Some fonts came on here and hinted that Greene was "the guy" according to their sources. Turns out, Greene wasn't even a candidate! If Cabrera leaked that to someone, I guess Cabrera knows who the leaky hole is now.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The waiting is the hardest part. Honestly, the AD hire is just as important (if not more important) for the long term stability and success of the program than the HC selection. We (the GT fan base) are a tough situation - we have a relatively small fanbase, relatively low revenues, and we exist in a major college athletics hotbed. There's a lot of positives but there's also a lot of hurdles.

Without rehashing all those reasons, getting the right AD in here will change a lot. Honestly, I feel like ADTS was doing a good job with most of the non-revenue sports. Unfortunately, money matters and when the money sports suffer, so does the revenue. We have to maintain some level of success to keep fans engaged and keep the dollars flowing. From what I've heard, there's been a noticable uptick in revenue since TPO was relieved of duties.

As an alum and fan, my responsibility is to maintain financial support and be physically present for the program. The same is true for all of us.