Acumen of Members/Posters Present, Future, Past

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually started posting on the Hive when I was in high school around 2000 or 2001. It was good at first then the board grew, and it eventually became too toxic for my taste.

Around 2008ish I left the Hive and began perusing Stingtalk and Quinlan's site. I actually paid for a premium membership there, but eventually grew frustrated with Kelly's temper tantrums, vagueness, and too often subscriber info that turned out to be incorrect.

He was right a majority of the time however, but it was the handful of times he was adamant about something and was rude to others that disagreed, then he turned out to be wrong. It was his Brian Gregory fiasco that forced me to leave.

Iirc, I came here not too long after. I rarely post and I'm here more for news and rumors, as well as X and O's breakdowns from the more football knowledgable than myself and the former players. That's what I enjoy most about this site. Sure there is BS and pettiness at times, and there are a few turd posters, but all in all, I've enjoyed my time here. And I've only had to block 1 individual.

It's the internet and were all human, so I tend to overlook the ridiculous, the few trolls, and the pettiness. You will find that anywhere.

I just hope this place doesnt devolve into trash like some of the other boards. If so, a new one will pop up to fill the void.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Still don't remember it but thank you.
It was mostly a good site, mostly. Until several went off the reservation.
Back to Acumen. It’s the off season. Every forum goes through this for a few months.
And I have never put anyone on ignore, but my fingers override my brains sometimes.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I actually started posting on the Hive when I was in high school around 2000 or 2001. It was good at first then the board grew, and it eventually became too toxic for my taste.

Around 2008ish I left the Hive and began perusing Stingtalk and Quinlan's site. I actually paid for a premium membership there, but eventually grew frustrated with Kelly's temper tantrums, vagueness, and too often subscriber info that turned out to be incorrect.

He was right a majority of the time however, but it was the handful of times he was adamant about something and was rude to others that disagreed, then he turned out to be wrong. It was his Brian Gregory fiasco that forced me to leave.

Iirc, I came here not too long after. I rarely post and I'm here more for news and rumors, as well as X and O's breakdowns from the more football knowledgable than myself and the former players. That's what I enjoy most about this site. Sure there is BS and pettiness at times, and there are a few turd posters, but all in all, I've enjoyed my time here. And I've only had to block 1 individual.

It's the internet and were all human, so I tend to overlook the ridiculous, the few trolls, and the pettiness. You will find that anywhere.

I just hope this place doesnt devolve into trash like some of the other boards. If so, a new one will pop up to fill the void.

Good thoughts and my trail was similar to yours. I realized super fast that StinkTalk and buzzoff were both total waste of times. Still use the Hive some here and there. This is my favorite overall by a good margin though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good thoughts and my trail was similar to yours. I realized super fast that StinkTalk and buzzoff were both total waste of times. Still use the Hive some here and there. This is my favorite overall by a good margin though.
Don't like stinktalk will post on the Hive but very little the last 3 years. Had a good friend GTJT 622 but he turned on Tech and stopped talking on the Hive . This board is the best .

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

My history tracks very similar to yours, although it took me much longer to leave Quinlan. Like has been said, I too find stingtalk a waste of time, this turns out to be the place I come the most, glad you guys are here and I've enjoyed being here.

Milwaukee

Banned
This site rocks, dude. It's frustrating sometimes and I lose my cool at times but it's fun as hell. Like someone said earlier, think of it as an outlet and don't take it personally. Offseason sucks and that's why some are bitching and moaning about content. The arguments and "teams" of posters back and forth are what makes it good imo. Think about this honestly, when a poster you don't really care for makes a damn good point tell me you don't say to yourself "Hey he's a douche but he's spot on there!". It's fun. When the season starts this board is friggin money, and in the meantime we can talk about unis, colors, past coaches, politics, movies, GT gear, society, vacations, Braves, Falcons, ticket exchanges, etc. I waste hours on end here and I believe that's what it's for.

When football and basketball season roll around this site has the best posters and content. Most of our good posters also post on the other sites but it's just better here and it's not even close.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I will say this. It’s the off-season (essentially the doldrums for the original naval navigators) when you can’t ping or course correct your position because there are literally no winds to move the ship.

This is when the least informed and knowledgeable can masquerade as being worth listening too. Approach the board with caution and recognize the smoke screens for what they are, people blowing smoke.

There are still a few well positioned members (parents/ex-athletes) but the reality is we want this kind of radio silence to protect against opponents picking up too much info.

Sit back, sip a whisky, and look me up if you come through the northern suburbs of Houston. I have a full stocked bar, back yard pool and enough love for the Institute to pour a fat pour for any of you sorry sods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My history tracks very similar to yours, although it took me much longer to leave Quinlan. Like has been said, I too find stingtalk a waste of time, this turns out to be the place I come the most, glad you guys are here and I've enjoyed being here.

I would not categorize Stingtalk a waste of time. It caters to a younger crowd and tends to be a bit um, extreme at times. The language is too harsh for my tastes but to each his own. Much, much prefer this site for a number of reasons already mentioned.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"And I've only had to block 1 individual" Oh, so it was you that did that to me!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This site rocks, dude. It's frustrating sometimes and I lose my cool at times but it's fun as hell. Like someone said earlier, think of it as an outlet and don't take it personally. Offseason sucks and that's why some are bitching and moaning about content. The arguments and "teams" of posters back and forth are what makes it good imo. Think about this honestly, when a poster you don't really care for makes a damn good point tell me you don't say to yourself "Hey he's a douche but he's spot on there!". It's fun. When the season starts this board is friggin money, and in the meantime we can talk about unis, colors, past coaches, politics, movies, GT gear, society, vacations, Braves, Falcons, ticket exchanges, etc. I waste hours on end here and I believe that's what it's for.

When football and basketball season roll around this site has the best posters and content. Most of our good posters also post on the other sites but it's just better here and it's not even close.

It is a bona fide time waster but I find myself drawn to this site because it is an interesting mix. Like most, I have my favorite posters such as Midtown, NE Stinger, AE, Dressed, Stech, and others but appreciate the wit that comes with being a Tech fan. It is a very different experience from what little I see on many other fan sites of other teams. Some of UGA's sites are almost illegible. Swamp Gas, the UF site, is much larger than this but the commentary is pretty similar. Now that I am retired, I can enjoy this site more and appreciate the commentary even if a lot of it is just opinionate fluff (like mine).

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I would not categorize Stingtalk a waste of time. It caters to a younger crowd and tends to be a bit um, extreme at times. The language is too harsh for my tastes but to each his own. Much, much prefer this site for a number of reasons already mentioned.

That's a good point. It does cater to a younger crowd and I was in my mid to late 20s when I posted there. I guess my GT message board preference matured with me.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember that guy, he was pretty funny. I liked his posts. I quit the Hive way before he went south.

Yep, I definitely remember GTJT. From what I remember he was a good poster and I also left before he turned heel. Or at least I dont remember it.

Do any of y'all that posted on The Hive remember GTBaseball? He was a UGA grad yet GT fan. He was also an ******* but I did enjoy his posts. Anyone know if he still posts there (or anywhere)?