ACC v Ga Tech

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read through all these post, but I believe that all teams should get a by week the week of exams. These are student athletes and the exams should count for something. I don't really think its fair to put these kids through the challenge of preparing for a football game and exams the same week.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The Vols have the longest bye of all before playing GT. We'll see how well that works out for them.

Kentucky had the second longest bye other than Boston College. So apparently it matters lots more if they actually WIN after the bye week time before playing GT.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I mean I do have a Masters in Statistics, so I kind of know what I'm talking about...drawing conclusions from data sets with a small sample size is terrible practice...yet the media does it all the damn time. My point about the data is that there is a lot of variance with such a small sample size. Then there's also the fact that there are more variables at play than just the BYE week...and to sit there and say that over a sample size of 10 games that the BYE week was the deciding factor is ridiculous. Then even if you get a sample size large enough there's the whole correlation vs. causation issue. The biggest factor you're leaving out is the teams being played. Let's say we lose to Clemson when they're coming off a BYE but beat Syracuse when they're coming off a BYE. Is the BYE the deciding factor?

I'm with you on evaluating whether there is an advantage to having a bye week vs. us. That assessment is going to have to be qualitative. But, given teams have to prepare significantly differently for our offense, saying that there is a particular advantage to having a bye before us at least has face validity.

What I'm more interested in is whether anyone has actually done a statistical analysis with # of ACC opponent byes. We've got 8 years of data to look at to see how likely it is our bad results are a product of chance.

Separately, I think an aggressive complaint is a good idea. Even if we were simply unlucky, I bet they rearrange things if their computer spits out a similar schedule next year.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
If we were to leave the Big 10 would jump on us in a second. Having a tie to the Atlanta market is extremely attractive to them. I wouldn’t leave the ACC if it was my choice but I would certainly voice my concerns.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I was speaking tic b4. The ACC is a better fit geographically than any conference other than the SEC. That ship set sail long ago. I don't see any reasonable scenario that would see us return there.

If I could wave a magic wand I'd replace Arky, Mizzu, and A&M with GT, Clem, and FSU. Now that would be a helluva SEC.

Since none of that will happen. We need to make sure the ACC stops screwing us over.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I was speaking tic b4. The ACC is a better fit geographically than any conference other than the SEC. That ship set sail long ago. I don't see any reasonable scenario that would see us return there.

If I could wave a magic wand I'd replace Arky, Mizzu, and A&M with GT, Clem, and FSU. Now that would be a helluva SEC.

Since none of that will happen. We need to make sure the ACC stops screwing us over.
I would replace South Carolina with Georgia Tech in the SEC. I think South Carolina would be a good fit in the ACC while GT would in the SEC because of history.