ACC v Ga Tech

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is going to be one of the most, if not the most, powerful conferences soon. If you look at what's going on lately in the two major revenue sports (football, basketball) you'll see that the ACC can already lay claim to being one of the top conferences. Why anyone would want to leave the ACC now is lunacy.

In terms of our profile, we no longer fit the SEC, we would be an island if we went to the B1G. Regardless of getting the scheduling shaft sometimes, GT is exactly where we need to be.

Wonder why Monken would agree to schedule puke in a way to hurt his former mentor?
First, I doubt that Monken was involved in the scheduling at all; schedules are generally made more than 2 years in advance. But more importantly, I doubt that he thinks that it would hurt Johnson, because, in fact, it won't. It might help Duke slightly to have to prepare for two SIMILAR offenses two weeks in a row, but the significant word there is SIMILAR; they are not the same.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm not much of an activist and am somewhat surprised that I would even consider this but we are getting the shaft.

So here is my stupid idea. After each of our games against open-week opponents that we win (so, all of them), we launch a massive social media blitzkrieg aimed at the ACC office to rub their stupid Carolina blue faces in it. We could even make some helpful suggestions like maybe they could schedule us for a Thursday night away game at either Miami or Boston College followed two days later by another away game at Duke or at UNC which would be a Saturday noon-start. Also, just to make things a little more even, they could give us our bye week after the UGa game or before the Tennessee game. These are the type of suggestions that I think the ACC office would really appreciate.

Not exactly sure what I am going to do but I am not going to take this lying down.

The ACC office needs to know exactly what we think of them.

I'm starting to understand a little bit more why MD just up and left.

*Edit: We could even start the blitz when the bye-week opponent finishes their last game before they play us - need a good name for the two-week, wreck Tech break. I dunno - this is really bothering me.

Last edited:

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
First, I doubt that Monken was involved in the scheduling at all; schedules are generally made more than 2 years in advance. But more importantly, I doubt that he thinks that it would hurt Johnson, because, in fact, it won't. It might help Duke slightly to have to prepare for two SIMILAR offenses two weeks in a row, but the significant word there is SIMILAR; they are not the same.
Army runs almost the same offense as GT but the Jackets have a hell of a lot more speed. Duke could think they've figured out the offense but then GT runs circles around them.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe anyone would suggest leaving the ACC right now. It is currently the best football AND basketball conference in the country and we look to be extremely competitive in both sports.

Now even to entertain the idea...the BIG 10 is a bit ludicrous, but at least it's reputable....but the AAC, really? Are you kidding me? Yeah, let's just leave the Power 5. We would fall into nothingness...probably lose to Georgia like 15 times in a row. Why on Earth would we even think of doing that?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Army runs almost the same offense as GT but the Jackets have a hell of a lot more speed. Duke could think they've figured out the offense but then GT runs circles around them.
I agree. I think rather than hurting Tech in some way it has to help. Johnson gets a look at how Duke wants to defend this year's version. And based on Army's progress Monken's boys might leave Duke black and blue. And cut.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Duke v. Army was scheduled and on a calendar a long time ago. The part about Duke getting a bye the week before and playing GT the week after is unrelated and was negotiated very recently.

I suspect Duke will have their hands full with an improving Army team next year...

/

My bad regarding earlier post stat what @Fatmike91 says above ... same with @MWBATL 's and @Supersizethatorder-mutt 's comments ... didn't read further down the thread ... :shame:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I think rather than hurting Tech in some way it has to help. Johnson gets a look at how Duke wants to defend this year's version. And based on Army's progress Monken's boys might leave Duke black and blue. And cut.
...and with hobbled knees. Everybody knows we do that to all our opponents...:rolleyes:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No matter the P5 conference, there's going to be favoritism to certain teams, i really like the direction the ACC is headed and think it's the best fit for GT, hopefully someday we'll have a commish who appreciates us a little better

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Call me a conspiracy theorist on this but.....It has seemed like the ACC has scheduled preseason conference favorites their byes before playing us. Several times that has involved UNC, other times different teams. Rarely has it involved bottom dwellers like Wake.

I do suspect the ACC front office thinks we have a gimmick offense that is a threat to lampoon the playoff chances of who they think has the best chance to make a run at the playoff. Thus they grant byes to those teams in an effort to diminish that risk.

Deleted member 2897

Call me a conspiracy theorist on this but.....It has seemed like the ACC has scheduled preseason conference favorites their byes before playing us. Several times that has involved UNC, other times different teams. Rarely has it involved bottom dwellers like Wake.

I do suspect the ACC front office thinks we have a gimmick offense that is a threat to lampoon the playoff chances of who they think has the best chance to make a run at the playoff. Thus they grant byes to those teams in an effort to diminish that risk.

Well its Clemson and Miami this year, so that's the odds on favorite for each division. They probably just threw Wake in there as a diversion. :)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

This theory may have some validity. We also know being picked to win the Coastal is the death nail too. So... there's that.

Deleted member 2897

Also, the 3 teams this year that have 0 teams playing them after a bye are Clemson, Louisville, and Virginia Tech. I would say Miami and Virginia Tech would probably be the pre-season favorites in the media to make it to the ACCCG from the Coastal, and that Florida State should be in the conversation for the Atlantic...the 3 teams that got 0 include the 2 teams who just met in the ACCCG and another favorite who went 7-1 in ACC play. Pretty obvious. I mean its the THREE ACC TEAMS WITH THE BEST RECORDS FROM LAST YEAR.