ACC Tourney

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
If a tie-breaker leaves us out of the top 6, do we go back tp Pittsburgh and play the cancelled game so we can sneak in?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys got it if all games are played. The NC State thing is simple. We did play them and lost twice. They get that tiebreaker.

WF owns a tiebreaker over us too... I think... You can't use MIA, LOU, UVA (same record against or not common opponent) but FSU was common and WF beat them twice while we were swept.

Duh, I completely forgot and missed that we had played N C State earlier...thanks for the correction. Agree on WF.

I am wondering if we get any games in today. It is not raining at the moment, but sure looks ominous out there....

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Duh, I completely forgot and missed that we had played N C State earlier...thanks for the correction. Agree on WF.

I am wondering if we get any games in today. It is not raining at the moment, but sure looks ominous out there....

I think the sun is supposed to come out this afternoon. Should be able to get the games in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the recap guys. I didn't even check till this morning. A wedding is interfering with the drama ......

I still think we are in - UNC and WF will most likely both lose today since they are playing Louisville and NC State...... both much better teams. But its baseball.

Just win both to get the karma going the right way. I doubt Clemson or NCState will lose today with their Sunday starters.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
With the loss by WF, we are officially IN the ACC Tournament. And assuming UNC cannot score a go-zillion runs in the 9th...

UNC cares a lot about what happens next in our final game v BC.

We win and UNC is a 10-seed setting up this Tues action:
7-Duke v 10-UNC
8-GT v 9-WF

We lose and UNC is out (BC in) setting up this Tues action:
7-Duke v 10-WF
8-BC v 9-GT

On a side note (tongue in cheek).... the ACC officials are on the phone with umpires at Russ Chandler reminding them the ACC tournament is in Durham, NC (a short walk from UNC's campus and tons of ticket buyers) while Boston College has about 15 baseball fans... all of them in Boston with no intentions of spending a dime in NC next week. Prediction: Tech wins its season finale. :)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pool B has the 2 hottest teams in the conference right now (UVA and CLEM). That's relatively good news if we manage to beat BC on Tuesday. It's all relative... really. ...and a fun exercise to analyze from a distance. The top 6 teams in pool play seem to be a cut above the 4 play-in teams... as it should be. In other words, there is a significant drop-off from the 6-seed (a hot CLEM) down to 7-10 (Duke, BC, GT, WF).

Crazier things have happened and it is an 'even' year. Ga Tech has won it all from deep in the field the last 2 'even' years (2012 & 2014).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the record, here's what it has taken to get into different brackets the last three years since the ACC changed the format:
Pretty stable where above 0 gets you in top 6 and -3 you are in. -4 and tiebreakers come into play.