ACC Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's hope the UNC/FSU winner comes out of the game unscathed (injury wise and Covid 19 issues). I still think beating the #2 Seed (who was #1 until the last game of the regular season) or the #6 seed who is the hottest team in the tourney would make the ACC Championship legit. And also would count in our records permanently. By the way, it would also help recruiting since kids like to chase the ring.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Question. Back when we were in our Covid pause during the regular season did any of our players actually get it?

Also, is it assumed that they’ve already ruled out false positive for UVA or just take 0 chances approach.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
We are going to win the tournament now, book it, and it will forever have a * by it. That is so Tech

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do you think they'll be excited if FSU beats UNC, pops for Covid and they get the champion by default? Do you think their reaction to being told that UVA withdrew because of covid matches what we saw yesterday from Jose at the end of the miami game?

And nobody would have said anything about it not counting this year because Duke withdrew. It's different when a team with a legit claim to best in the league has to withdraw.
Does it matter? We did what we had to do, from the health and playing stand point. Would uva be celebrating if they had beat us with Jose gimpped up?

I guess I will be one of the few from this board to buy the 2021 ACC Champions T-Shirt if we win/stay healthy Saturday. You guys really do suck sometimes.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a game and ALL the rules are made-up. There's no natural law of physics that determines how a Basketball tournament is supposed to be set up. You play the game you're given and you try to win under the rules.

In the history of sports, I don't think there's ever been a champion that some butt-sore loser didn't complain wasn't legit because X player got injured, or X team wasn't in, or X player shouldn't have been eligible, or the refs made a bad call...

If Tech wins the tournament it'll be just as legit as any other. We played (and hopefully won) the games we were given.

slugboy

Staff member
Will we get a W added to our record?
Nah, but UVA gets the “L”.

I’m obviously kidding
john mulaney snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a game and ALL the rules are made-up. There's no natural law of physics that determines how a Basketball tournament is supposed to be set up. You play the game you're given and you try to win under the rules.

In the history of sports, I don't think there's ever been a champion that some butt-sore loser didn't complain wasn't legit because X player got injured, or X team wasn't in, or X player shouldn't have been eligible, or the refs made a bad call...

If Tech wins the tournament it'll be just as legit as any other. We played (and hopefully won) the games we were given.
You Win GIF by memecandy

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
We also got really unlucky with the scheduling (playing the top teams in conference and almost none of the basement; the stretch of games with little to no rest; inability to make up games we felt we needed).

If the season as a whole gets a note as uncommon then fine, but to suggest we didn’t earn what we got is foolishness. We played the same crappy hand everyone else did due to Covid this year. Took some early loses due to overcompensating our avoidance plan and battled back.

This team deserves every recognition we get this year and more.
THIS! THIS! THIS!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Does it matter? We did what we had to do, from the health and playing stand point. Would uva be celebrating if they had beat us with Jose gimpped up?

Do you really not see the difference in actually playing the game with a player banged up and not playing a game at all?

And do you really think it doesn't matter if we win the ACCT beating miami, uva, and fsu/unc vs winning it by just beating miami and the other two teams getting covid?

Did you ever play any competitive sport in your life?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Do you think they'll be excited if FSU beats UNC, pops for Covid and they get the champion by default? Do you think their reaction to being told that UVA withdrew because of covid matches what we saw yesterday from Jose at the end of the miami game?

And nobody would have said anything about it not counting this year because Duke withdrew. It's different when a team with a legit claim to best in the league has to withdraw.
I understand your perspective, I just disagree. Much the same (I suspect) you feel about my position.

It would be undeniably sweeter to have played and won the game, but to suggest that the season writ large wasn’t the aberration and the tournament deserves a modifier beyond the ridiculousness of what each team faced to get to the post season feels silly to me. It is also unnecessarily negative towards our guys (presuming you take the logic I offer as correct).

I have enjoyed many of your posts and am not trying to draw you out into an argument. I know you’re not digging the guys. So don’t want to over hype my thoughts on this - just responding in what I hope to be a civil way.

Let’s hope we play, and win the game tomorrow and that the team feels every bit as deserving as I believe them to be. Go jackets!

Status
Not open for further replies.