ACC Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL Isn't that the very reason for the existence of a fan message board. :ROFLMAO:
Exactly!!! This is all fun. And the bottom line is we advanced to the championship game. In the world of sports everyone tends to agree that the only thing that matters is winning games. We just won a game because UVA didn’t handle their business. That’s on them. We have a chance to win the ACC tournament tomorrow. That’s all that matters.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If they have a Thursday game, that would only be 6 days. If they played Friday, they could have 7 days. What will the NCAA Committee do? Place them with a Thursday game so they can't participate? Place them with a Friday game hoping for a chance?

UVa might be the first team replaced (if they are bracketed). That means a First Four Out team would have a pretty high seed. I'd like to be the 13 seed getting that match-up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought they needed 7 consecutive daily tests negative. Tourney starts Thursday? Maybe they can still play, I hope they can.
The first round this year starts on Friday. Fri/Sat, then Sun/Mon. If Virginia is placed in a Sat/Mon portion of the bracket, then they can still potentially have every player available.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do you really not see the difference in actually playing the game with a player banged up and not playing a game at all?

And do you really think it doesn't matter if we win the ACCT beating miami, uva, and fsu/unc vs winning it by just beating miami and the other two teams getting covid?

Did you ever play any competitive sport in your life?
I did. I played 4 years college basketball. I coached high school and college basketball. I played overseas some. A championship is always a championship. Whether its by default or earned. We won the coastal division, when we were in 4th or 5th place, in football and almost upset F$U in the championship game. Did that matter? NO. We did what we had to do and a few teams didn't.
Same can be said here, even though there is an outside factor. We played the games we played. We did what we had to do to put our selves in a position to win a championship. Would you be so bitter if uva beat us on a last second shot yesterday and then today they cancelled? Guess what, we took care of business to not play tuesday, wednesday and therefore avoid a matchup with a topped rakned team. Win tomorrow and we are ACC Champs PERIOD no discussion have a great summer!

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I have enjoyed many of your posts and am not trying to draw you out into an argument. I know you’re not digging the guys. So don’t want to over hype my thoughts on this - just responding in what I hope to be a civil way.

Oh, I 100% know that, and my response to your portion probably should have been a different post because the tone was intended to be very different than to the other response.

I just don't see how anyone can view this as anything other than an opportunity our guys were deprived of to prove they were the best. A championship only has the meaning to what it takes to win it. Look at what James Forest had to do to win it in 93. Both individual play and teams beaten on the court. Now compare that to the possibility of winning a championship having won one game against a 13 seed with what, 6 players and a former walk on? How anybody can believe those two things are in the same realm of accomplishments is beyond me. And that isn't a shot at our players. It's being pissed they were denied the opportunity to do the same thing.

GT_EE78

Banned
From CBS
"The NCAA protocols for playing in the tournament require seven consecutive days of negative test results among all Tier 1 personnel before arriving in Indianapolis. That testing began last weekend in anticipation of many teams arriving on Monday."
- since the ncaa says you can play with 5, i guess if one tests positive they would get dropped from the Tier1 group.
seems that the bus driver may be a higher priority than the coach?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Duke campus had a cluster recently.
Yea I think Dukes was kind of self inflicted with how they approached the tournament. Commute from Durham and the players were staying in a campus hotel that supposedly the covid quarantined football team was staying in.

UVAs 1 positive test will be interesting to see how that plays out and/or how it came about. Pastner has apparently created his own bubble and told people they couldn’t even ride an elevator with anyone but those in the GT bubble. Hopefully his protocols pay off.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is scary , if we got a positive test would we automatically miss the ncaa ?
Looks like you have to have 5 guys who pass the 7 days negative tests to stay eligible. So I think presuming you can prove that and kept exposure minimal you could stay alive. UVA says they’re hoping to still play.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What a mess.
This isn’t that hard to figure out. Put them in a Saturday bracket and have a replacement ready. Give them a 7-10 seed so you don’t end up with an unseeded team getting 3 or 4 seed.

The NCAA might want to go with reseeding every round like the NIT.

Honestly if I was the ACC, I’d have taken the top team Vag and gave them a bye when dook crapped the bed and shifted GT, Unc, VT and FSU in order of their original seeding into the brackets. With Vag going out now GT and Unc should play tonight with FSU getting a bye.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t that hard to figure out. Put them in a Saturday bracket and have a replacement ready. Give them a 7-10 seed so you don’t end up with an unseeded team getting 3 or 4 seed.

The NCAA might want to go with reseeding every round like the NIT.

Honestly if I was the ACC, I’d have taken the top team Vag and gave them a bye when dook crapped the bed and shifted GT, Unc, VT and FSU in order of their original seeding into the brackets. With Vag going out now GT and Unc should play tonight with FSU getting a bye.

Kind of like the reseeding idea with all the teams being centrally located anyway. However don’t think they’d do it since so much of their viewership is based on people filling out and following their brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.