ACC Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No excuse for that play. We have 3 PGs and 2 other ballhandlers available and can't get the ball 10 feet from our inbounds

Miami was draped all over us and the refs would barely give them a foul call when they were trying for it. There is a reason our guys weren't trying to force contact on the traps or the press. They knew nothing would come of it.

That's why the way the refs swallowed the whistle for Miami is more than just the FTA advantage, or even Moses fouling out. It completely changed how you would approach situations when you know fouls won't be called.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was yelling to the TV to "STUFF THE F**KER" just before USH dunked/scored out last 2 points after the heart attack inducing inbounds around the last 20 to 15 second stretch.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Miami was draped all over us and the refs would barely give them a foul call when they were trying for it. There is a reason our guys weren't trying to force contact on the traps or the press. They knew nothing would come of it.

That's why the way the refs swallowed the whistle for Miami is more than just the FTA advantage, or even Moses fouling out. It completely changed how you would approach situations when you know fouls won't be called.
Foul disparity was 13-5 at one point. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life, and I have never seen a game between 2 evenly matched teams with that kind of foul disparity that was fairly officiated.

I hate the ACC.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t trust usher with the ball in his hands as inbounds guy either
pastner clearly learned that too bc the last ~3 minutes ush was not inbounding. not one single possession. any coach watching film can see it. EVEN when successfully inbounding it vs press this season, ush has not looked comfortable/experienced in that role all year. today it was mostly khalid inbounding, but then random switches. once it was mike. once it was moses. then the final two possessions under 30 secs left, it was ush. of those final two possessions... first one mike was so open inbound was no issue. then the final play that jose saved, take a look at the replay. look at the options. kyle was open for a safe bounce pass, bubba was open for lob downcourt with his man fully sealed. jose had his man sealed and needed a lob pass to space, not a bullet chest pass. to be clear, i'm not tryin to knock ush at all. we all love ush. he played great tonight. to me this is on pastner. there is sufficient film to warrant a different inbounder. which - again - it MUST have been seen by pastner on film recently bc ush wasnt in that spot tonight until the final 2 possessions. its befuddling that pastner used 4 different inbounders in the final 3 minutes. (and at other times this year he has occasionally put jose there too). that position is tough and requires a lot of practice, coaching, and experience. cant just rotate guys in and out.

i'll add this: the way that final play turned out after the jose save was ush downcourt attacking and elevating for easy bucket. obviously no defenders, but imagine a typical rotating player trying to recover and meet him at the rim. if usher isnt inbounding, he becomes a downcourt player and when we beat pressure, we make opponents pay for it with dunks instead of pulling out to hold as frequently. (not as easy in real time at full speed as i make it sound, but you get the point - more easy scoring opps with usher downcourt.)

happy with the win. not trying to be a complainer after a win to move into semis. but feels like an x/o issue that needs to be rectified asap. it doesnt fall into the category of "off night" or "bad performance" - its an x/o issue.

ETA: anyone that has read my comments all year knows i am big fan of pastner x/o strategy. just not this particular issue. its perplexing.

Deleted member 2897

Slugboy nailed it when he said Usher and Devoe would come up big. I showed myself to be totally ignorant of the sport when I called a big game for Wright.

Nah you’re not ignorant - we all expected a big game. Sometimes you get crazy foul calls in tournaments or you’re a little tight cuz it’s postseason.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
happy with the win. not trying to be a complainer after a win to move into semis. but feels like an x/o issue that needs to be rectified asap. it doesnt fall into the category of "off night" or "bad performance" - its an x/o issue.

Usher is typical inbounder you want, and really hasn't been an issue all year except for Duke briefly. You want Moses back as a finisher down low as it's clearly his best role. You want your ball handlers runnning up the court to go receive the ball, especially since they are the people we want shooting FTs. And if we do break a trap on the sideline, we want Usher to be the one streaking down the middle because with a head of steam he's hard to stop. His size also make it easier for him to serve as the pivot role in the press.

Also, your analysis of the final play is way off in my opinion. Both of the options you listed weren't safe. Kyle looked open but his defender had distanced himself as was playing to undercut the pass. The inbound defender for Miami also would have forced the pass wider allowing more time for the defender to undercut it. It would have been a similar situation as what happened with throwing it to space and hoping the player would have gone and grabbed it but the defender on Kyle had more chances to get to the space. Lobbing to the smallest dude on the court is not really a strong idea, but even more so because Bubba didn't have his defender seals. He defender was shading Bubba to discourage a pass, but Bubba never really got into the body of the defender. A lob pass there to space would have seen a footrace between Bubba and the defender at best.

The pass to Jose wasn't the right type of pass, but it was the right decision. But it's hard to try and throw a pass with more air when not only is Jose smaller than his defender, but Miami had a second player in the area.

The bigger issue, not just in that situation or inbounding, is our guards are bad about going and aggressively getting the ball. It's been an issue for the past several years. Another example of it was when Moses picked up his 4th foul. Moore, I believe, was coming back to the ball and sort of just have showed and then cut away when Moses was clearly looking for an outlet. That was also the issue with Mike on the second inbound issue against Duke (the long pass was just bad defense)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Big ups to Laranega and especially Wong. They played tough. Really impressed with us from the 10 minute mark to finish. Moses took it on the chin today and I’m sure he knows it, it happens to everyone. Howard backed him up and we rallied. I’m absolutely thrilled right now with the ugly win, bad teams can’t win ugly. We can.
What did Wong do to impress? 12 pts in 40 minutes. 4 ***/ 4 TO. 3 for 10 and 1 for 4. Not knocking the kid. Just not going to hold him out for accolades.

1615503685298.png

Status
Not open for further replies.