ACC Tournament

How many games will GT win in the ACC Tourney?

• Total voters

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tuesday @ 11AM we have our play in game against UVa. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051715aaa.html

UVa is hot, they just swept @UNC and took a series from Duke. They have had the talent (last year's CWS runner up) without that many players lost, it's just late in the season they have gotten it together. With a 19 RPI, they aren't bad all season either.

Beating UVa is a mixed blessing. If we beat them, we have to play three more games and that could take our RPI too low to make the NCAAs. But we could surprise and win a few of those games. I doubt it given our lack of starters and relievers not named Zac Attack.

Losing to UVa we'll have better than 30 RPI and reasonably assured of an NCAA bid. Plus we have no realistic chance to compete in a 5 game series where the better teams only play 4 given our pitching depth. Last year we had pitching depth. This year not much. (Next year we get Ben S back and others hopefully.)

So I don't expect a win against UVa, but will be rooting to win because ..... http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?4&TheScorpionandtheFrog

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think whoever we start will tell us what Danny Hall's hearing through the grapevine about regionals. If he thinks we're set regardless of the tournament result I think he'll start Pitts. If not I imagine it'll be King. My money is on Pitts.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
2012 - 8th seeded Georgia Tech won the tournament. The first time an 8th seed (the lowest seed) had won the ACC tournament, until..

2014 - 9th seeded Georgia Tech won the tournament.

2015 - Tech is seeded 10th (the lowest), but that hasn't stopped them before. Could we do it again?

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
2012 - 8th seeded Georgia Tech won the tournament. The first time an 8th seed (the lowest seed) had won the ACC tournament, until..

2014 - 9th seeded Georgia Tech won the tournament.

2015 - Tech is seeded 10th (the lowest), but that hasn't stopped them before. Could we do it again?

Go Jackets!

Will

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think whoever we start will tell us what Danny Hall's hearing through the grapevine about regionals. If he thinks we're set regardless of the tournament result I think he'll start Pitts. If not I imagine it'll be King. My money is on Pitts.

We're on the same page. I can't see us losing much RPI to the #17 team at a neutral site. Our pitchers need the rest and some time to heal the wounds of the last week.......

But it looks like King is starting. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051815aaa.html

I would have started Pitts against UVa, Parr against Miami (No Más), King (ND) and Gold (NC State).
  • I still don't think we need to beat UVa to get into the NCAAs.
  • Winning with Pitts, would be in fairly good shape against ND and NC State.
  • If we beat UVa, and put Gold against Miami (most likely loss), then we have Pitts and Parr for ND and NCState with no relievers other than Zac. Those would be likely losses too.
  • So we could beat UVa, lose the next three and end up with a worse RPI than just losing to UVa. And then not go to the NCAAs.
Sometimes fate is kind. I have work and important conference calls so I'll miss the drama tomorrow.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I figured he'd punt the tournament and try to keep our pitchers on a regular schedule but looks like he's going for it. Can't be too mad about that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
According to Aaron Fitt in his chat, GT would not only have to win the play-in game to get an invite, they would need to go 2-1 in pool play, "and even then it would be close". I think that's a little harsh, but no way we get a bid if we lose the play-in and finish the year with 5 straight losses.

But, then, I must admit I have lost all hope. This year's team is easily the worst statistically in years on the Flats. We have been out hit in league play by over 30 points, had the highest WHIP in 10 years, and rank in the bottom 4 of the ACC in pitching ERA and HR's hit. Bad pitching plus bad hitting usually is not a good result in baseball, I think.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
According to Aaron Fitt in his chat, GT would not only have to win the play-in game to get an invite, they would need to go 2-1 in pool play, "and even then it would be close". I think that's a little harsh, but no way we get a bid if we lose the play-in and finish the year with 5 straight losses.

Aaron Fitt knows his stuff but that seems a little ridiculous to me. I'd be surprised as we'd set a new record for lowest RPI to not receive a bid. That was a 2012 Maryland had an RPI of 30 but went 10-20 in conference play losing 8 out of 10 weekends. We're 13-17 which is probably the thing that'll keep us out but have gone 6-4 series wise and by literally every other metric we should be in. If they cite the last 5 games of the year I'd be furious. The whole reason these committees exist is to examine the whole body of work. Why even play the games before April and May if they apparently don't count?

But, then, I must admit I have lost all hope. This year's team is easily the worst statistically in years on the Flats. We have been out hit in league play by over 30 points, had the highest WHIP in 10 years, and rank in the bottom 4 of the ACC in pitching ERA and HR's hit. Bad pitching plus bad hitting usually is not a good result in baseball, I think.

I'm not sure you had any hope to lose. But if you think this is the worst offense we've had in years you didn't watch any games last year. I wouldn't trust the stats on that one. Pitching? Yea we've talked that one to death.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We're 19-5 out of conference. With the 13th hardest schedule (out of 301 teams), we have a 27 RPI which won't change much today. I think we're in; but all I know is past results. ...... Boyd's World has past RPIs making the NCAAs ...... http://www.boydsworld.com/

Optimistic piece today http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051815aad.html . With King or Gold pitching, we can win most any game when the O is clicking. I think we have a 50/50 chance today - UVa probably wants to win too (tic).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure you had any hope to lose. But if you think this is the worst offense we've had in years you didn't watch any games last year. I wouldn't trust the stats on that one. Pitching? Yea we've talked that one to death.

Just to clarify, my comment about the offense was relative to other teams. I do concur that the ball was less lively last year which depressed everyone's offense, but we were outhit in the league this year by the widest margin in the last ten years (which is as far back as I could find the data).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Optimistic piece today http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051815aad.html . With King or Gold pitching, we can win most any game when the O is clicking. I think we have a 50/50 chance today - UVa probably wants to win too (tic).

I would generally agree with this, but the last 4 games make me feel something is missing on this team. But, as you have correctly pointed out, baseball is the game where it is probably hardest to predict a winner of a single game, so you are likely more correct than I. It is just hard to be optimistic when you lose your last two games by the margins we did.

The one thing this team has going for it is that they have looked all year like a resilient bunch who never give up. I just did not see that in their body language in Miami. Maybe the homer announcers on ESPN3 influenced me with all their talk about the fragile psyche of this team right now.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Just talked to my UVA friend. Maybe this is stuff y'all already know, but their ace is injured, and they'll be starting their closer against us. I think our best bet today is win some battles and drive the pitch count up early; he isn't used to being in there for the long haul.

GTEngin1

Georgia Tech Fan
Ga Tech lineup (vs. Virginia, 11am, #ACCBase):
Spingola/CF
Innis/LF
Gonzalez/3B
Murray/RF
Johnson/DH
Smith/1B
Bailey/2B
Justus/SS
Pabst/C

I'm semi surprised we have not flip flopped the line up a bit.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech is the road team. They go 1-2-3 in the first. 2 SO for the UVA pitcher.

Lots of support for UVA early in the stands. Nathan Kirby is injured so they are starting their closer.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Lead off single (on the first pitch too), a sac bunt, and another single and the Cavaliers are on the board.
Gonzo error and UVA has men on 1st and 2nd. 1 out. This is not starting out well for King.

A DP gets King out of the inning. Down 0-1 Top of the 2nd.

Another 1-2-3 inning for Tech. On to the bottom of the 2nd. Bats still quiet.

A infield lead-off single to start off the B2. Have to say, UVa has been lucky with these singles so far to get them in exact spot so they could reach the base.

Last edited:

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
No runs come in for UVA in the bottom of the 2nd. Still down 0-1.

T3 - same story. 1-2-3.

King issues a lead-off walk in the B3. UVA has had a base runner to lead off in all 3 innings so far.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
And there's the first hard hit ball with runners in scoring position. That's why you can't walk people. Let alone the first two guys in an inning.