ACC Tournament

How many games will GT win in the ACC Tourney?

• Total voters

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Might there be an issue with how baseball does scholarships and out of state tuition? Do they have a dollar amount budget?

Good question.
(1) Varsity Rosters may include junior varsity, redshirt, reserve and/or practice squad players and do not reflect club or intramural team participants.

** Do the Math! The average NCAA Division I baseball team has a roster of 35 players but only a maximum of 11.7 athletic scholarships available. This means the average award covers only about 1/3 of annual college costs and this assumes the sport is fully funded at the sponsoring school. Baseball is an equivalency sport for NCAA scholarship purposes, so partial scholarships can be awarded to meet the NCAA limit per school. For example, an NCAA Division II school can award 18 baseball players each a 1/2 equivalent scholarship and still meet the limit of 9.For more information see our page on scholarship limits.

(2) Average Athletic Scholarship is the average amount of athletically related student aid per athlete for ALL varsity sports sponsored by the specific school. Some athletes receive full awards, some receive partial and many receive none. Additionally some sports within a school may be fully funded, some partially and some sports provide no athletic scholarships. Private schools generally have higher tuition than public schools and the average award will reflect this.

(3) Financial Assistance to all undergraduates includes ALL forms of student financial assistance including athletic and academic scholarships, grants and other financial aid. “% receiving” is the percentage of all undergraduates who received some form of financial assistance. “Average $” is the average award to those undergraduates who received some form of financial assistance during the year.

Average Athletic Financial Assistance to
Four year Colleges with Roster Size (1) Scholarship (2) Annual Tuition & Fees Room & all Undergraduates (3) SAT Math Percentile %
Varsity Baseball Programs City State Division Men Women Men Women In-State Out-of-State Board % receiving Average $ 25% 75% Admitte
Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta GA NCAA I 35 - 22,318 21,520 10,650 29,954 9,814 63% 8,510 660 760 55%​

Don't know if this helps. Did this in a hurry. But I'm sure each state and schools are different.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Depressing game in progress, UVa - Miami. UVa has had the lead and just folded to Miami B8. Oh well. I would like to see anyone but Miami win the ACC.

UVa pitching is almost as thin as ours right now. UVa will make the NCAAs but with their ace starter out, they won't go far.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Stinger90 -

Part of the issue with getting the "talent" into GT is the grade and test scores requirement. Along with the that, you then have the degree options and class requirements at GT. (yes that horse has been beaten for years, but it do hold relevancy to the situation.) But let's face the truth, many of the players (just like others in the age bracket) want to take a path of least resistance.

Regarding scholarship funding. You are correct that there are NOT enough baseball scholarships to give a full ride to each player. I know that some players get a "full" ride as long as they maintain the Hope Scholarship, i.e. the player gets a partial tuition covered and then a housing allotment along with food access. (the above is basically as described to me by one of the players parents.)

Hall (and Morris before) have to overcome these hurdles (grades/tests/scholly %) plus the fact that many of our recruits are drafted by MLB. Some of those drafted may "bite" on a $20K, $50K or $100K signing bonus for some that is enough to go directly to the pros (minors) and bypass college. (side note: most MLB teams will write into the players initial contract that they will cover the cost of college if the player "doesn't make it". With that my understanding is that less than 5% - might have been 1% - of those players take advantage of that opportunity. Reason being they are "getting on' with their life, someone is pregnant, etc.)

That leaves those that do sign. with us. Of those, obviously some get hurt (ex. D Waller). Some don't pan out / develop. Others develope then opt to leave with eligibility left after their 3rd year out of H.S. because they have some "leverage" for a higher signing bonus with the possibility of them returning to school for another year or two. (The "studs" more often than not don't play their 4th year in college.)

IMO, pitchers are the most difficult to get and develop of those that do go to college. With that, pitching has been our downfall the last few years. Yes we've had a few to do well, but we haven't had those 3 - 4 starters that would be the #1 or #2 on most other teams. Without at least two (preferably three or four) go to starters we've pitched by committee and it shows against to tougher competition.

While we do normally get good recruiting classes, bottom line is GT doesn't get enough "studs" -especially pitchers - to simply reload each year mainly due to the academic environment. With that said, I do think that GT has done very well over the last 25 - 30 years. For that I'm thankful that we can be disappointed with a 32 win season. Especially considering our strength of schedule each yea

(If a moderator wants to move this and other related comments in this thread to the "Program in Decline-Why?" thread it would make sense.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great pitching by NC State eliminates Miami last night. :p:ROFLMAO::mooning: Sorry, but their fans are the reason I can't stand them.

NC State gets to cruise today in a meaningless game versus UVa and await the championship tomorrow.

Louisville and FSU at 10 AM this morning to see who plays NC State. How can I pick neither? But if I must, it Louisville. Definitely would like to see NC State win it all! I think I heard they had the second best pitching in the ACC. NC State must since a bunch of their players have batting averages n the 100s. Pitching quality and depth is what college baseball is all about. Maybe 50% pitching, 30% batting and 20% defense.