ACC Tournament Play

How many ACC tournament games will we win?

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 7 36.8%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Even if we win 1 game out of UM, F$U and NCState, we should improve our RPI enough to maybe host a regional, right? If we make it to Sunday in the ACCCG, we should definitely host a regional.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Even if we win 1 game out of UM, F$U and NCState, we should improve our RPI enough to maybe host a regional, right? If we make it to Sunday in the ACCCG, we should definitely host a regional.

Doubtful. There are too many teams in our region ahead of us and tournament play won't affect the RPI all that much.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, are those some sweet swings!?

D1 baseball has Miami as #1 in the country. Miami (RPI #3), FSU (RPI #16), NC State (RPI #7). So losing to these teams on a "neutral" site won't hurt our RPI much at all.

Put our strongest pitchers up against FSU, then NC State and then Miami?
Dulaney, Parr, Ryan, Lee and Gibson are all possible starters? (I was going to be sarcastic and say Pitts but I'm being nice.)

Boy am I slow, I just saw that Duke (RPI #23 before loss) lost :p:p(y)(y)(y)(y) They could be replaced by UNC (RPI #15) as the 10th ACC team in the NCAAs. Whoever said they are glad we lost to BC in the second game of the double header to face BC rather than UNC in the ACC tourney was right in my opinion. I think UNC is far more dangerous than Duke to make a run.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I fear we are toast in the remaining games. The other teams all have fully rested pitching staffs, and good pitching has always beaten good hitting (which is why GT has fared so poorly in the NCAA's int eh last decade or so). We have a good hitting team, very solid throughout the lineup, but it is wasted without pitching.

Gold and Gorst were superb today. Gold especially was money when the chips were down. I said earlier I would get to complain about the pitching choice either way....but who can complain after a 6-0 win...even if we are underdogs in the next three games.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Regardless on how pool play turns out I'm sure going to enjoy the victory today. After last weekend it would have been easy for the team to fold. The came out, took care of business the right way and onto the next game. I'm impressed with the grit of this team!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dulaney, Parr, Ryan, Lee and Gibson are all possible starters? (I was going to be sarcastic and say Pitts but I'm being nice.)

Personally, I think Zac Ryan may have the best stuff of the remaining pitchers, so I would prefer to see him get a crack at it. he had two great starts earlier this year, but his control has been inconsistent. (Does he hang out with Pitts or something?) After that, the rest are almost like pick a name out of the hat...they all have weaknesses and have been hit hard. Find whoever won't walk guys, even if they get hit, at least we will lose honestly instead of giving it away.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's the good news...
The boys actually playing the games are teenagers (or hardly greater than) who believe they can win that next battle (at bat or game). If you don't see that... you aren't watching them work.

As opposed to the grey haired old blow hards (me included) who see 3 consecutive games upcoming with our only 2 consistently good pitchers unavailable. Ouch!

God Bless 'em! Go steal a couple of games!! Winning is so much fun!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally, I think Zac Ryan may have the best stuff of the remaining pitchers, so I would prefer to see him get a crack at it. he had two great starts earlier this year, but his control has been inconsistent. (Does he hang out with Pitts or something?) After that, the rest are almost like pick a name out of the hat...they all have weaknesses and have been hit hard. Find whoever won't walk guys, even if they get hit, at least we will lose honestly instead of giving it away.

Yeah, but ....... Zac is consistently a killer reliever but has consistently been a high ERA starter. Pull whoever starts early, very early if they get in trouble and put Zac in for 2 or 3 innings. But limit his innings, build his confidence for next year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Jake Lee starting today's game. It'll be interesting to see how quick CDH pulls pitchers this week. At this point, how many semi-reliable pitchers do we have? None are remotely reliable as starters and Dulaney/Gibson/Parr/Combs have seemed to be the most reliable relievers (excluding Gorst). I thought Ryan had turned the corner after the UGA game, but struggled again vs BC last weekend. Then there's Pitts.

I doubt CDH knows who he will start the next two days as it probably depends on how deep Lee can go today and who he needs to bring in to relieve.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Still early, but Lee can't seem to throw strikes. He's walked 2 batters already and it's 1 out in the 1st inning.

Miami on the board. Throwing error by Peurifoy advances the runners. Still only 1 out.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lee just walked two in a row with one out. Time to pull him. NOW NOW NOW. We can't afford to get behind. Parr is warming up.

Update: Hit and error on Peurifoy. Only one scored but runners on second and third. Pull Lee now. Or leave him in to adsorb a dozen runs. Is there a mercy rule in pool play or just the play in?

Pull Lee now and he can relieve in another game.

Update: Another walk to load the bases. FINALLY Hall is pulling him and Parr coming in.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, that sure was over quickly. You know, I remember folks have said our coaches really emphasize NOT walking people. But if they do, why are our pitchers SO bad at issuing walks> They clearly, clearly, clearly are more fearful of getting hit hard than walking guys. (Others they'd groove every 3-2 pitch and simply hope for the best.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What a difference in a day. Yesterday I find a $20 bill on the ground at the beginning of the game. Today I get a flat tire trying to cut the grass.

Parr is doing great - to bottom 7th still 0-3. We have out hit Miami 3 to 2!! This one is on Hall for not pulling Lee sooner. We have seen this show too many times this year. It's not like we have pitchers who throw strikes. But great that Parr will be back next year. And Lee will find the strike zone - as a Fr starting against one of the best teams in baseball it's good experience.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
I can hear that annoying "uh-huh" Miami fan on tv. I was so glad GT beat them in Greensboro 2 years ago. If it wasn't for Wes tv would be on mute! Please God let GT come back and win, uh-huh!