ACC Tournament Play

How many ACC tournament games will we win?

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 7 36.8%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
BC starting their closer from game 3.

Credit to BC for not just "sticking to the script" and starting someone they think can get us out. I can think of some other coaches who could use more of that attitude (ex: why hasn't Gorst started since his long relief effort at UVa? Why didn't we try him earlier in that role?)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Should we *really* be starting Gold on short rest (for him)? This is an argument I can see how the coach can't win...for Gold is indeed clearly our best starter, so if you DON'T start him and we lose....we second guess it. If he DOES start him and he gets shelled we second guess him. Oh well, I guess I get to second guess our coaches today no matter what!! Oh boy!

(Seriously, I would have started Gorst....just saying')

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Should we *really* be starting Gold on short rest (for him)? This is an argument I can see how the coach can't win...for Gold is indeed clearly our best starter, so if you DON'T start him and we lose....we second guess it. If he DOES start him and he gets shelled we second guess him. Oh well, I guess I get to second guess our coaches today no matter what!! Oh boy!

Rocky Bridges has a great quote about the average man and managing a baseball team. But I have a hard time getting on the coach for throwing our best pitcher in an elimination game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Man, just got home and I guarantee a win today. Leaving work early @3:12 I find a $20 bill on the ground. (I usually lose them!) So I used $10 for a lottery ticket and $10 towards a case of Yuengling. With luck like that today, we have to win.

As to Gold pitching from the BC post I still believe "As to the BC play in game, pitching Gold is the only way to go to me (not that I always agree with Hall's pitching choices :cautious:). We win that and then have another three games Wednesday through Friday or Saturday. Gold would be available for the championship game on Sunday or even a play in game on Saturday if we make it that far. I doubt we make it that far but we've done it before with less offense ..... that gives the idea for another thread...... later. If we lose the game against BC, oh well, Gold has a week before NCAA play.

Trying to win makes all the sense in the world at this point. You want to have a higher RPI / seed because theoretically you have a more favorable match-up the higher your seed."

Craport HR. GT up 2-0

Update: Anyone else notice that the Rambling Wreck site has BC winning? It was the first thing I saw before getting to GameTracker ....

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, just got home and I guarantee a win today. Leaving work early @3:12 I find a $20 bill on the ground. (I usually lose them!) So I used $10 for a lottery ticket and $10 towards a case of Yuengling. With luck like that today, we have to win.

As to Gold pitching from the BC post I still believe "As to the BC play in game, pitching Gold is the only way to go to me (not that I always agree with Hall's pitching choices :cautious:). We win that and then have another three games Wednesday through Friday or Saturday. Gold would be available for the championship game on Sunday or even a play in game on Saturday if we make it that far. I doubt we make it that far but we've done it before with less offense ..... that gives the idea for another thread...... later. If we lose the game against BC, oh well, Gold has a week before NCAA play.

Trying to win makes all the sense in the world at this point. You want to have a higher RPI / seed because theoretically you have a more favorable match-up the higher your seed."

Craport HR. GT up 2-0

Update: Anyone else notice that the Rambling Wreck site has BC winning? It was the first thing I saw before getting to GameTracker ....
They have the logos reversed. It still says GT 2, BC 0.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FOR **** SAKES STOP BUNTING WITH QUALITY HITTERS SO EARLY IN THE GOD DAMN GAME

LOL, you sound like a UVa fan I talked to last week. Bitched about UVa bunting too much and losing the third game to us. The hitter the UVa coach had bunt was a 300+ hitter. It was like the 5th inning ....

We talked about this a lot last year and we haven't this year ...... we have found other ways to lose. I'm agnostic on it. I don't think in college baseball you have enough statistical depth, stable statistics or enough games to know whether it is the "best" way to play in college from a statistical point of view. If you win, it works. If you don't, it doesn't.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the enduring truths I have come to believe after decades of watching GT sports (and drinking free beer) is that you have to enjoy the wins when they come. You can't worry too much about the future of GT sports and be happy.

GT just knocked out the BC starter (Adams). Looks like King (last Thursday starter) is coming in.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
3-0 Tech bottom 7, Gold just struck out a batter with runners 1st and 3rd with 2 out and CDH is pulling him? I know he's thrown 91 pitches BUT!!!! Gorst in, lock it down Matt!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like pulling Gold. He was throwing more balls than earlier in the game. (ESPN3 is blacked out here so I can't see it.)

Gold can pitch again in the tourney with 91 pitches today. Gorst is our stud reliever. We win or lose with our best.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I like pulling Gold. He was throwing more balls than earlier in the game. (ESPN3 is blacked out here so I can't see it.)

Gold can pitch again in the tourney with 91 pitches today. Gorst is our stud reliever. We win or lose with our best.

I understand the move but Gold was dealing! Throwing very free and easy, he did not look tired at all. But as I said I understand the move.