ACC Tournament 2022

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Attendance has to be hampered in large part due to the state of the ACC (and possibly lingering Covid/travel issues).

Was this year not the worst 8/9 game in tournament history since expansion? Not even NCAAT bubble implications. Hard to energize anyone to go watch that, and the theme carries forward to other teams and games. ACC was hard to watch all year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Attendance has to be hampered in large part due to the state of the ACC (and possibly lingering Covid/travel issues).

Was this year not the worst 8/9 game in tournament history since expansion? Not even NCAAT bubble implications. Hard to energize anyone to go watch that, and the theme carries forward to other teams and games. ACC was hard to watch all year.
NYC didn't lift vax mandates for events until this past Monday, I think, so very possible that kept some people away.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
First year I have not watched most of the tournament. I watched our game. Duke loss could lower overall strength of ACC teams getting in the NCAA. They need to win out to strengthen the conference reputation. May help get at least one more acc bubble team in the NCAA.
We were a very very mediocre team in a very mediocre league this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Texas A&M and Indiana dealt a blow to Virginia and Virginia Tech today. The Hokies may need to win out at this point or get ready for the NIT.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
First year I have not watched most of the tournament. I watched our game. Duke loss could lower overall strength of ACC teams getting in the NCAA. They need to win out to strengthen the conference reputation. May help get at least one more acc bubble team in the NCAA.
We were a very very mediocre team in a very mediocre league this year.
Very, very mediocre? We were the worst team in a weak conference. I know, I know. We finished 14 out of 15. Don't forget, the 15th place team blew us out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We also swept the teams that were 12th and 13th. Let me guess, we should forget that you so you can make your point right?
Wow that sure is something to get excited about. We swept the 12th and 13th team in the conference. That's such a great achievement we should all celebrate immediately!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look, this year was an awful year. As others have said it feels alot like 1997.
It was a team that simply didn't fit well together and was paying for the 2019 recruiting fail and the potential that the 2020 class is a bust. They played hard, but seldom played well. The offense didn't really match well the talent that was on the team (coaches should have adjusted more than they did) and the defense was the worst of Pastner's tenure as it lacked both a rim protector as well as any ball hawking guards.

So much depends upon what it does this spring in the portal. Every team but Duke in the ACC uses transfers significantly, most teams use multiple transfers as starters - it's just part of the whole recruiting game now.

It hurts more that this is one of the weakest years of the 40 years i've followed ACC basketball. Right now I think only 4 teams are probably in the Tourney - Duke, Miami, UNC and ND and I bet at least one likely ends up in the First Four. Looking at VT's nitty gritty sheet my gut is they have to win tonight to get in and Wake is done after losing to BC and headed to the NIT.

Without a huge rebound next year it will be time to seriously consider moving on from Pastner. The issue is it is hard to find a coach that can win consistently anywhere these days. Pastner ended up being the most successful coach that GT looked at seriously in the last search. After Drew reneged he flamed out in 2 years at Vandy. Capel is going into his 5th season at Pitt and hasn't had a winning season yet and has had 6 straight losing seasons as a HC. GT reached out to Cuonzo Martin after Drew fell through and he ended up eventually at Missou and was fired yesterday.

Look what happened to Crean at UGA. That is certainly not what anyone expected. Finding the right coach is not easy and most schools miss more than they hit.

This team needs to bring in at least 3 in the portal. #1 has to be a rim protecting big. #2 has to be another proven scorer. Finally, if we could get a true ACC high level PG that would help.
I really like the potential of the FR class. I think ultimately that J Moore will likely be a better version of K Moore. Kelly has the look of a high level shooter and scorer. Coleman had a disappointing Fr year based on his HS rep, but he reminds me alot of a poor man's D3. Much like D3 he needs to get in better shape and he needs to overcome the tentativeness he showed this season.

I was disappointed in the guard play overall this year. Kyle is a solid ACC PG. Nothing special, not all-ACC level, but a legit starter. Smith right now is a backup level PG - really the issue with Smith is that he is more an athlete playing basketball than a basketball player who is an athlete. He is a poor outside shooter and a poor FT shooter and a mediocre ballhandler (27 assts to 23 TO in ACC games).
I wouldn't be upset if we made a change or two to the staff.

I will say if next year goes poorly I could still see Pastner getting another year after that as if we have to fix the football program that will take a higher priority and eat up any money we have for coaching.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the caveat we need a starting 4 from the portal as a top priority. I too love J Moore’s potential but he ain’t there yet

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This team needs to bring in at least 3 in the portal. #1 has to be a rim protecting big. #2 has to be another proven scorer. Finally, if we could get a true ACC high level PG that would help.
I really like the potential of the FR class. I think ultimately that J Moore will likely be a better version of K Moore. Kelly has the look of a high level shooter and scorer. Coleman had a disappointing Fr year based on his HS rep, but he reminds me alot of a poor man's D3. Much like D3 he needs to get in better shape and he needs to overcome the tentativeness he showed this season.

I don't think it needs three. I think in terms of true need there is one, and that's a proven scorer at the 4, a true PF that is.

In terms of rim protection, When we had rim protection it wasn't just who was at the 5. With Banks we played him alongside either Wright or Gueye. With Lammers we had Gueye or Stephens. Now there were certainly tradeoffs with those line ups but the benefit was more size on the court and it helped to allow Banks/Lammers to be the erasers that they were. Last year and this year with Ush at the 4 has had some good tradeoffs but he was playing out of position. We've gone small the past two years and it has hurt our defense and rim protection as a result. If we want better rim protection, play Meka alongside Howard and I guarantee you we'll have significantly better rim protection not just from Meka but also Rodney. But if we are going to continue to play SFs at the 4 spot we're not going to get the rim protection we had the first 4 years.

At the PG spot while landing a true ACC high level player would be great, I don't think it is necessary. Sturdivant imo provides a very reliable player and will provide a fairly high floor to the position next year while Smith provides the high potential. If we land that proven scorer at the 4 and put them out their alongside Kelly and Coleman I think the offense is in a good position if we have a good strategy (mean not running it through Howard 20 feet from the basket. In particular I think having to play third fiddle didn't suit Coleman and without Ush and Devoe he'll be more aggressive.

Now obviously we would like more than just that, and depending on transfers out we will likely want more to help depth, but I don't think those are needs. If Saba transfers, which I expect, we'd want a back up big to Banks. And we'd likely want to add another option on the wing for depth purposes with Maxwell's injury history.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Look, this year was an awful year. As others have said it feels alot like 1997.
It was a team that simply didn't fit well together and was paying for the 2019 recruiting fail and the potential that the 2020 class is a bust. They played hard, but seldom played well. The offense didn't really match well the talent that was on the team (coaches should have adjusted more than they did) and the defense was the worst of Pastner's tenure as it lacked both a rim protector as well as any ball hawking guards.

So much depends upon what it does this spring in the portal. Every team but Duke in the ACC uses transfers significantly, most teams use multiple transfers as starters - it's just part of the whole recruiting game now.

It hurts more that this is one of the weakest years of the 40 years i've followed ACC basketball. Right now I think only 4 teams are probably in the Tourney - Duke, Miami, UNC and ND and I bet at least one likely ends up in the First Four. Looking at VT's nitty gritty sheet my gut is they have to win tonight to get in and Wake is done after losing to BC and headed to the NIT.

Without a huge rebound next year it will be time to seriously consider moving on from Pastner. The issue is it is hard to find a coach that can win consistently anywhere these days. Pastner ended up being the most successful coach that GT looked at seriously in the last search. After Drew reneged he flamed out in 2 years at Vandy. Capel is going into his 5th season at Pitt and hasn't had a winning season yet and has had 6 straight losing seasons as a HC. GT reached out to Cuonzo Martin after Drew fell through and he ended up eventually at Missou and was fired yesterday.

Look what happened to Crean at UGA. That is certainly not what anyone expected. Finding the right coach is not easy and most schools miss more than they hit.

I was disappointed in the guard play overall this year. Kyle is a solid ACC PG. Nothing special, not all-ACC level, but a legit starter. Smith right now is a backup level PG - really the issue with Smith is that he is more an athlete playing basketball than a basketball player who is an athlete. He is a poor outside shooter and a poor FT shooter and a mediocre ballhandler (27 assts to 23 TO in ACC games).
I wouldn't be upset if we made a change or two to the staff.

I will say if next year goes poorly I could still see Pastner getting another year after that as if we have to fix the football program that will take a higher priority and eat up any money we have for coaching.
It is depressing when a lousy basketball program is ok because the lousy football program needs to be fixed first.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT was the better team most of that game. More active, much better shooters, quicker to the ball.

This Duke team will have a hard time getting close to the Final Four. It lacks depth and versatility. It has 3 of its regulars who are basically fives that struggle to play on the perimeter which hurts their defense as they like to switch everything.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Creighton, Michigan State, and Indiana made it impossible for Wake and unlikely for Notre Dame to get bids. I am predicting Duke, UNC, Miami, VT are in. I saw a bracket this morning with Wake in and Miami out. I don't see how that happens.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To give a sense of how poorly the ACC is perceived this year Wake went 13-7 in conference play and ND went 15-5 and both are in danger of being left out of the Tourney.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it is a combination of the ACC moving down to the pack and the pack moving up to the ACC. Parity (or 'mediocrity' for the whine & cheese sect) is the rule of the day. I can see where that might be a tough pill to swallow for the fans who have ben around long enough to be accustomed to ACC domination, but there it is. Swallow it or don't.

Big and rapid societal and industry changes are impacting the ACC. FWIW, I don't think it is coaching but recruiting. The ACC is reluctant to join the "Semi-pro" model and the SEC is getting the regional talent based on budget and strategic model. In short, we are getting our hat handed to us on the recruiting front and it is not due to coaching.

Fans can and will bemoan the changes but it does not impact my enjoyment of the ACC games. The competition is still exciting and our standing within the conference (regardless of ACC's broader power ranking) is still meaningful to me. I just like watching the games.

With all the world and societal changes swirling around us, it absolutely floors me that there are actually people spending the time to post on social media their self-torment and sense of entitlement regarding GT basketball. IMO, we should be truly grateful to be watching any college ball at all and for any exciting moments we are blessed to witness. Long term prospects for this type of past time is up in the air to say the least. In short, smoke 'em if you got 'em.