ACC Tournament 2022

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
1646761730985.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A friend who lives in the East Village ventured over the East River to watch his alma mater (Georgia Tech) play in the ACC Tournament. He assumed they would win game one, so he bought tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday. His only comment about the game was that more people might have seen the game live if they had played in Oriental (pop.900). Maybe GSO is not such a terrible place after all.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A friend who lives in the East Village ventured over the East River to watch his alma mater (Georgia Tech) play in the ACC Tournament. He assumed they would win game one, so he bought tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday. His only comment about the game was that more people might have seen the game live if they had played in Oriental (pop.900). Maybe GSO is not such a terrible place after all.
Sure. But conversely, teams from the northeast had a better turnout in Brooklyn.

Be interesting to see 'Cuse vs. Duke turnout today. The color of the stands will look a lot different than a game in Greensboro (though the game outcome will be no different).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sure. But conversely, teams from the northeast had a better turnout in Brooklyn.

Be interesting to see 'Cuse vs. Duke turnout today. The color of the stands will look a lot different than a game in Greensboro (though the game outcome will be no different).
Cuse fans were probably biggest crowd yesterday. Only thing I could see making them decide to bail on today is Buddy's bonehead move ending his tourney play. I don't see how they win without him.

That said, I bet they'll be there in force.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Seth Davis sucks.

You must not have been around during the Dean Smith days. He had the head of officials, Barikat(sp?), in Greensboro on speed dial. Notice you don't see over the back calls anymore. Dean came up with the "principle of verticality". The art of the flop was brought to a new level under Dean. Kuester used to wrap his arm around the guy he was closely guarding and pull him down on top of him to get a charge. I have to give Dean credit though. I didn't like him but respected what he was able to do.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but that win yesterday had the arena feeling like the whole Cuse fan base had injected heroin. Hope they figure it out though, because **** dook.
It is somewhat remarkable that the fans have turned out at all. This year's team is bad by any 'Cuse standard (first losing season ever under Boeheim, assuming the L today).

I miss the MSG days, and the good Cuse teams. It would be a crack + heroin crowd.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Coaching Changes is still obsessed with Paul Hewitt though. Tell me you overrate coaches without telling me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope @dtm1997 and @CuseJacket chime in with their thoughts regarding NYC as a tournament location. Here is mine:

When the original Big East was formed, it included Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, UConn, Boston College, Pitt, Villanova and Syracuse. That was the best basketball conference, top to bottom, in the country. I was working at Bell Labs in NJ when the tournament moved to MSG in 1983. That first year in the Garden and it was crazy wild and full of St John's fans.

When you look at the coaches in the league at that time it's no wonder the basketball was great.