ACC Tournament 2021

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The dumbest format in sports. Its essentially a single elimination bracket, where the top 4 seeds get a first round bye, just with extra steps.
You have a better one that invites 12 (or even 10) teams, & keeps games to 4 or less, & can be done in 6 days?

I've thought about this a lot. Balancing all the factors... & thinking big picture (not just crowning a conf champ), it is "ok"

The ACC is well served to give 10 or 12 teams 2 extra games to help bubble teams get into post-season.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
You have a better one that invites 12 (or even 10) teams, & keeps games to 4 or less, & can be done in 6 days?

I've thought about this a lot. Balancing all the factors... & thinking big picture (not just crowning a conf champ), it is "ok"

The ACC is well served to give 10 or 12 teams 2 extra games to help bubble teams get into post-season.
Yes - just make it a single elimination tournament where the top four seeds get a first round bye.

That's essentially what were already playing. But we now have four extra, completely meaningless games added on.

The only team we need to beat to advance is the winner of Clemson/Louisville, right? So why are we even playing the other team? Just give us the bye.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
I like how this sets up for us. 6 full days of rest for Hurter. Seems like Clemson will be favored on Tuesday. If Clemson does win, we can go for the pool victory with our front end starter. 7pm against Clemson is after work as well. Then hopefully we're playing on the weekend.

Although... I guess this is what the format always will lead to. But still nice how it works put both with ark schedules and that night time game I can watch.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes - just make it a single elimination tournament where the top four seeds get a first round bye.

That's essentially what were already playing. But we now have four extra, completely meaningless games added on.

The only team we need to beat to advance is the winner of Clemson/Louisville, right? So why are we even playing the other team? Just give us the bye.
I hear you. Completely valid. But let's say Clemson loses to Louisville... it's possible them getting an extra game (to win) while meaningless in either GT or Clemson advancing in this tournament... it could help Clemson get into big tournament.

I won't die on this hill... but I think that's how ACC got here.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like how this sets up for us. 6 full days of rest for Hurter. Seems like Clemson will be favored on Tuesday. If Clemson does win, we can go for the pool victory with our front end starter. 7pm against Clemson is after work as well. Then hopefully we're playing on the weekend.

Although... I guess this is what the format always will lead to. But still nice how it works put both with ark schedules and that night time game I can watch.
Correct. Will be interesting if Louisville wins... how rotation in managed for the tournament. "Mid-week" type game Wed? Save Hurter for Thurs when it matters.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be really interesting to see what UNC does. If they decide to try and beat Pitt without Love, then they obviously have a solid chance to beat NC State Friday night. Let's hope they go to 14 innings that night. What do y'all think UNC would do with Love on 5 days rest after 130 pitches?

A side benefit, since the the B/C pools on the later schedule, we could get three 7pm games to watch which directly decide the semi-final for our side of the bracket.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you could draw up the schedule any better for us. UL/Clemson first game of the tourney so we know immediately who we need to beat. Only real game we have to play is Wed night or Thurs afternoon then have the day off Fri before semis on Sat. And all three other top seeds have games on Fri against the middle seeds in their pool (more likely to be a meaningful game).

Deleted member 2897

I like how Virginia is rewarded for being mediocre by opening against the worst team in the Coastal, then gets 2 straight days off to recover/prepare. Always so much silliness with their scheduling.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Love the advantage the top seed has. We have the absolute best schedule of any of the 1 seeds with us being done on Thursday. If we win and go to Saturday every other 1 seed will have played on Friday. Friday is going to be hot. Can't believe we got the best schedule, ND should have being #1 overall. All we have to do is win (tic).

Weather is gong to be brutally hot. Most teams haven't played in this type heat this year. Hope that Clempy wins and we get to play them the day after at 7PM on less rest than if we'd have to play L'Ville. Also L'Ville is DUE to have a 20 run game.

Almost willing to bet that some games will get postponed later in the tourney due to rain.

1621794606621.png

Here's how I would pitch:
Assumptions
1) We only have one reliable starter. Hurter
2) Grissom is next most reliable.
3) Archer and staff day are about the same.
4) Quick Hook Hall needs to be in the house. I think he will be as his hook speed has picked up a lot in the last few weeks.
5) First NCAA game is Friday 4 June so we'll have time to recover. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament##1_or_#16_Seed_Super_Regional

• Versus winner of Clempy/L'Ville start Hurter. Pull him early if we get a big lead (8 wasn't enough to be comfortable against UNC so maybe 10) so he can relieve on Saturday or start for a few innings on Sunday.
  • Versus loser of Clempy/L'Ville start @FredJacket, @eokerholm and others who haven't seen any real action this year. Gimme game if our bats don't explode to pad the other team's NCAA bid. Not much difference to us.
  • If get to Saturday, start Grissom with others at the ready if needed.
  • If get to Sunday, start Archer or Hurter for a few innings with others at the ready.

Attachments

• 1621794453678.png
    1621794453678.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 5

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will be really interesting to see what UNC does. If they decide to try and beat Pitt without Love, then they obviously have a solid chance to beat NC State Friday night. Let's hope they go to 14 innings that night. What do y'all think UNC would do with Love on 5 days rest after 130 pitches?

A side benefit, since the the B/C pools on the later schedule, we could get three 7pm games to watch which directly decide the semi-final for our side of the bracket.

I'd throw the second best pitcher (Shawn Rapp who pitched on Friday or staff day) against Pitt who is a free fall just to pitch Love against NC State. I think that maximizes UNCs chance to get to Saturday because after Love they don't have a lot as we saw (two of their weekend starters got hurt this year or UNC would have won a lot more games IMHO). UNC is at 18-18 in the ACC and they'll go to the NCAAs if they win a game. Love against Pitt is more likely to do that but Love against NC State has more upside.

Pitt also should save their best pitcher for NC State to maximize their chances to advance in the ACC if that is their priority. If they just want to go 1-1 and pray to get to the NCAAs as a priority on a prayer (Pitt is currently 16-17), then pitch their best against UNC. Pitt is in trouble for the NCAAs.

What would we do if it was uGag? 🪛 🐕

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd throw the second best pitcher (Shawn Rapp who pitched on Friday or staff day) against Pitt who is a free fall just to pitch Love against NC State. I think that maximizes UNCs chance to get to Saturday because after Love they don't have a lot as we saw (two of their weekend starters got hurt this year or UNC would have won a lot more games IMHO). UNC is at 18-18 in the ACC and they'll go to the NCAAs if they win a game. Love against Pitt is more likely to do that but Love against NC State has more upside.

Pitt also should save their best pitcher for NC State to maximize their chances to advance in the ACC if that is their priority. If they just want to go 1-1 and pray to get to the NCAAs as a priority on a prayer (Pitt is currently 16-17), then pitch their best against UNC. Pitt is in trouble for the NCAAs.

What would we do if it was uGag? 🪛 🐕
Think that'll be the approach for all the game 1's? Save your ace for the game against your pod's top seed?

If I'm FSU, Lville, UVA, or UNC; I'm thinking one win in the ACCT secures my NCAA bid. I might pitch my ace in game one in hopes of locking that up.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree that I like this format better than previous versions. It lets 12/14 make the real tournament (not a play-in game that's over before it even starts) so that if you need the automatic bid you can make a run for it. It keeps you from having a disaster of a week by going 0-3 (like you could in the old 4 team pods), and most importantly, it keeps you from destroying your pitching staff, especially if rain and delays start to be a factor. Many remember the 2003 tourney where we had to win THREE games on Sunday to win the tournament. Felt great, but our pitching was so worn out that the NCAA Tourney was a quick exit right after that.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Love the advantage the top seed has. We have the absolute best schedule of any of the 1 seeds with us being done on Thursday. If we win and go to Saturday every other 1 seed will have played on Friday. Friday is going to be hot. Can't believe we got the best schedule, ND should have being #1 overall. All we have to do is win (tic).

Weather is gong to be brutally hot. Most teams haven't played in this type heat this year. Hope that Clempy wins and we get to play them the day after at 7PM on less rest than if we'd have to play L'Ville. Also L'Ville is DUE to have a 20 run game.

Almost willing to bet that some games will get postponed later in the tourney due to rain.

View attachment 10591

Here's how I would pitch:
Assumptions
1) We only have one reliable starter. Hurter
2) Grissom is next most reliable.
3) Archer and staff day are about the same.
4) Quick Hook Hall needs to be in the house. I think he will be as his hook speed has picked up a lot in the last few weeks.
5) First NCAA game is Friday 4 June so we'll have time to recover. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament##1_or_#16_Seed_Super_Regional

• Versus winner of Clempy/L'Ville start Hurter. Pull him early if we get a big lead (8 wasn't enough to be comfortable against UNC so maybe 10) so he can relieve on Saturday or start for a few innings on Sunday.
  • Versus loser of Clempy/L'Ville start @FredJacket, @eokerholm and others who haven't seen any real action this year. Gimme game if our bats don't explode to pad the other team's NCAA bid. Not much difference to us.
  • If get to Saturday, start Grissom with others at the ready if needed.
  • If get to Sunday, start Archer or Hurter for a few innings with others at the ready.
I would be very hesitant to throw Hurter twice this week. The next week is what is most important and he needs to be fresh for that, especially if you get into a situation where he pitches Friday and then want him for a few innings in a Game 7 on Monday.

That'll be a great foreshadowing question for a big debate to be having in a little more than a week. If we are a 2 seed in the regional, do you throw Hurter on Friday against the 3 or save him for the top seed on Saturday? Pros and cons are definitely there for both. In general, I think if we got a matchup with an Arkansas or Vandy, you can't picture beating them and one of their aces without Hurter so you might bypass him on Friday for that matchup. If it's a weaker 1 and a stronger 3, you might go ahead and use him Friday, hope for the best Saturday, and then have him a little if you can get to Monday.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I would be very hesitant to throw Hurter twice this week. The next week is what is most important and he needs to be fresh for that, especially if you get into a situation where he pitches Friday and then want him for a few innings in a Game 7 on Monday.

That'll be a great foreshadowing question for a big debate to be having in a little more than a week. If we are a 2 seed in the regional, do you throw Hurter on Friday against the 3 or save him for the top seed on Saturday? Pros and cons are definitely there for both. In general, I think if we got a matchup with an Arkansas or Vandy, you can't picture beating them and one of their aces without Hurter so you might bypass him on Friday for that matchup. If it's a weaker 1 and a stronger 3, you might go ahead and use him Friday, hope for the best Saturday, and then have him a little if you can get to Monday.
Just need someone to step up like Heddinger did in 2013 vs Vandy. Nothing left in baseball after this for many of these kids, so let it all loose! Not sure who that may be, but need someone.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you could draw up the schedule any better for us. UL/Clemson first game of the tourney so we know immediately who we need to beat. Only real game we have to play is Wed night or Thurs afternoon then have the day off Fri before semis on Sat. And all three other top seeds have games on Fri against the middle seeds in their pool (more likely to be a meaningful game).
Well, following snidleys #butthurt theme, I will complain the we have to play the late game on Wed and then come back & play mid day the next day. Absolutely no reason for that (although I guess it’s not much different than a regular Sat/Sun game. But no good reason (except for the ole Tobacco Road middle finger) since Pitt vs NCST has Pitt who hasn’t played since tuesday night and NCST who is playing their first game in the late game on Thursday. No reason they could t play the 1pm game.