ACC suspends all athletics activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One unique feature of this coronavirus is that you may have it without knowing it — no symptoms or only mild symptoms — and you may be spreading it to others without knowing it.

Exactly. And then, unbeknownst to you and in unpredictable ways, it insidiously spreads to someone who is far more vulnerable.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
First death in Georgia in Kennestone

yup. An already sick 67 year old man. Again. Same story for the 45,000 that die each year from the flu. Yet we manage. This virus is hitting elderly and/or those battlin issues already. Just like the flu. Lets shut down the usa. Totally

didnt shut it down for h1n1 and tens of thousands died. But now. Yes. Lets react this way sigh

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I don’t and don’t want to follow politics. But there’s literally nothing else in sports world to talk about, so could one of you smart Alums fill me in on the economy crashing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don’t and don’t want to follow politics. But there’s literally nothing else in sports world to talk about, so could one of you smart Alums fill me in on the economy crashing.
At your age ( very Young ) now is when you want to get in the Stock Market 401 k . At my age ( old as dirt ) to lose 150K in one week it hurts too late to move to bonds cause I would not get my loss back. With people getting scared and with Saudi Arabia dropping oil it doesn't help. Now that the US has increased oil production low oil prices can hurt the US oil companies

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's about more than protecting healthy people at the lowest risk. It's about keeping the virus from spreading throughout the population. That's why schools are shutting down, even though children rarely get seriously ill from it.

Exactly. It may well be that public health measures to contain spread are destined to fail, but that's exactly where we are right now, and Italy is the perfect example of what we hope to avoid. Personally I'm a physician with the bulk of my practice being inpatient (psychiatry). I'm on immunosuppressive medication and live with my 72 year-old mother in law, wife, and 2 young kids. If public health measures fail, it's almost certain we'll be exposed, and while we're still probably going to be just fine even if we do get sick, I'm really not looking forward to it. At the hospital we are trying to plan ahead, but already with school closings, etc., we are low on staff, and the demand for healthcare services is only going to increase from here. Yeah, the paranoia with causing shortages on masks, pursuing tests without indication, etc. are overkill. The isolative measures are the right things to be doing at this point. I personally am not informed enough to say whether this degree of cancellation at this time is really warranted or likely to actually help, but it's certainly not paranoia aimed to protect people who are at low risk to begin with.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
yup. An already sick 67 year old man. Again. Same story for the 45,000 that die each year from the flu. Yet we manage. This virus is hitting elderly and/or those battlin issues already. Just like the flu. Lets shut down the usa. Totally

didnt shut it down for h1n1 and tens of thousands died. But now. Yes. Lets react this way sigh

Thing is, although >80% have relatively mild symptoms and <1% die, about 10% have symptoms serious enough to require hospitalization with a respirator or ventilator. There are only so many of them to go around. If they all get used up because it spreads too quickly, many people who require one will die because they won't have one. On top of that, we have about 1 million hospital beds in the US, of which at any normal time about 700,000 are occupied. And, you don't want to occupy more of those than are absolutely necessary because you don't want to subject people already sick to the virus.

So the deal is this - we can manage this pandemic a lot better if we slow its progress through the population so that we don't overwhelm the system. In order to do that we have to curtail its transmission through some reasonable extent of social distancing until enough of the population become immune to it or we can get a treatment produced, or finally a vaccine.

This is NOT the flu. It is ten times more deadly. If as many get this as got the latest flu that went around, statistically 260,000 will die. 14,000 died from that flu.

Last edited:
Although nobody knows whether or not to believe what the Chinese say, they are claiming that the number of virus cases has now leveled off, and there is no longer a crisis. If this is true, and the same thing happens in the rest of the world, then, although cancellation of current or soon-to-occur events will still be the proper tactic, cancelling events still more than a month away or entire seasons is going to seem pretty foolish

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thing is, although >80% have relatively mild symptoms and <1% die, about 10% have symptoms serious enough to require hospitalization with a respirator or ventilator. There are only so many of them to go around. If they all get used up because it spreads too quickly, many people who require one will die because they won't have one. On top of that, we have about 1 million hospital beds in the US, of which at any normal time about 700,000 are occupied. And, you don't want to occupy more of those than are absolutely necessary because you don't want to subject people already sick to the virus.

So the deal is this - we can manage this pandemic a lot better if we slow its progress through the population so that we don't overwhelm the system. In order to do that we have to curtail its transmission through some reasonable extent of social distancing until enough of the population become immune to it or we can get a treatment produced, or finally a vaccine.

This is NOT the flu. It is ten times more deadly. If as many get this as got the latest flu that went around, statistically 260,000 will die. 14,000 died from that flu.

you dont know that. The actual denominator of how many people have had this is far more unknown. They say xyz thousands have had it but in the medical community they acknowledge it could be 3-4x that amount. Many could have had this, thousands, and not known because it only shows as a minor cold with no hospital needs. Also 45,000 die from the flu in the usa yearly and in the age group with pre existing conditions that are dying now the flu would kill them too.

the statistics are not reliable to make that statement. 80 percent of the deaths are in a high risk group. Medically that usually means the virus, while and issue, is not a grave pandemic like sars could have been or others.

its contagious. Its a virus. It can hurt people. No doubt. But to react like this in the usa cancellation of life is an absolute overreaction beyond proportions

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

Best response I’ve seen anywhere so far

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I wrote allot, but deleted it because...rather than debate this on an anonymous message board, I just want to ask everyone to calm the **** down, but listen to people that have devoted their ENTIRE LIVES to study this set of viruses, its spread, and circumstances around it. I am stunned that on a Georgia Tech message board the "anti-science" view is so strong. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has humbled me more than a rigorous education and seeing (with my own eyes) the devotion to almost incomprehensibly specific areas of study that people partake in to make this world a better, and safer, place. For the love of all that is holy and good, you will find if you pay attention to those that matter and are knowledgeable, that is in fact not a good situation and could get worse. But mass hysteria and panic isn't the solution either. In the world of my former "dear leader" (CPJ), its never as good or as bad as it seems. Calm down, but don't hate science b/c it doesn't jive with your world viewpoint. And your vascular surgeon at home may be the world's greatest vacular surgeon, but anyone who has stepped into doctorate level studies know the gap is pretty wide due the specificity of their fields of study. So to put it bluntly, who gives a **** what a vascular surgeon has to say about this pandemic. Conversely, 100% of good epidemiologist wouldn't diagnose your vascular condition, they would say..."go see a vascular surgeon".

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hate to tell you, but there are a lot of bona fide health professionals who think it is BS. My vascular surgeon told me last week that he believed it had been blown way out of proportion.
Yeah. And there’s also a lot of bona fide health professionals and epidemiologists who think this will destroy global healthcare systems and standards as we know them. We’ll see what happens. Obviously everyone wants this to blow over. But I would suggest buckling up, because there’s potential for this to become worse than what anyone wants to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.