ACC suspends all athletics activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’m not in a risk group but my parents are or my grandparents are or my siblings have diabetes or a respiratory condition that puts them at risk. I go to practice or go to a campus visit or a team meeting and I contact someone who does have COVID-19. Then I got home and I come in contact with my family member or person with whom I’m close who is in one of those risk groups and I pass it right along to them. This is a VERY common scenario.

That’s why you as an individual make your own decision to stay home and not partake. Don’t overthink this.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Since nobody under the age of 30 has died or even come close to dying from the virus, I just don't get this.

I saw a piece on the news just yesterday about a doctor in his 30's who was presumed healthy until he got this virus and is now fighting for his life. One lung had completely stopped functioning. Comparatively rare, but it does happen. The virus is thought to be about 10 times more deadly than the flu.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At this point it is PR issue and yes, many people actually believe they are protecting the players from a life threatening illness. Fortunately there is absolutely no data to indicate people in the players demographic are severely threatened by the virus at all. Hence why some people believe some outside force has to be driving the decision making.

It's about more than protecting healthy people at the lowest risk. It's about keeping the virus from spreading throughout the population. That's why schools are shutting down, even though children rarely get seriously ill from it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It's about more than protecting healthy people at the lowest risk. It's about keeping the virus from spreading throughout the population. That's why schools are shutting down, even though children rarely get seriously ill from it.

I agree that's the correct reasoning if you are on the side of shutting everything down. That is the reason I am saying all the statements about the safety of the players being the first priority is a complete PR move because the players aren't really in jeopardy to begin with.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree that's the correct reasoning if you are on the side of shutting everything down. That is the reason I am saying all the statements about the safety of the players being the first priority is a complete PR move because the players aren't really in jeopardy to begin with.
The NBA was completely ready to play when they discovered one of their players tested positive. I am trying to figure out how you think they should have handled it? Should they have put out a statement saying these are young healthy guys and therefore are in no danger so the games will move forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.