ACC Schedule to be released 1/29

thwgjacket

This doesn't bother me. The last two times we've beaten UGA, we've had a difficult game before them. I'd rather us have a game we have to get up for the week before than sitting for two weeks getting hyped up about UGA.
Yea "Bye Week" was a tough opponent the week before them this past year. The 2 week scenario you mention is literally what happened in 2014.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
this one is not high res, but something to start with:
B8hmrGwCIAEYRru.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8hmrGwCIAEYRru.jpg

This is incorrect. It should have GT playing in the ACC Championship game the week after UGA game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The other reason to beat these two teams is that they have a pretty easy schedule and we do not want to rely on someone else taking them out.
Plus those losses in '14 were embarrassing, particularly Duke. It seemed from the first series that GT wasn't in the game and it got worse until finally it became the Kansas game all over again. But late this season it was turned. If it is karma, I am all in.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It was unfortunately booked about a month before even UGA's schedule was out. This has to be some kind of karma thing coming back around from something I did or said.
We all know what you did or said, probably involved taking a knee and 4 words arranged as a question.

Here is when what you have agreed to will really sink in and hit you . . . when you realize that for the rest of your life your wedding anniversary will be during football season.

But to look on the bright side (a) you won't forget the anniversary date as you can tie it into a Tech football memory on that date and (b) if she enjoys traveling then maybe you can at least see Tech play on the road some years if she will take a weekend anniversary trip to a town the Jackets are playing in. :)

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea "Bye Week" was a tough opponent the week before them this past year. The 2 week scenario you mention is literally what happened in 2014.

And we played like dog crap for the first quarter and a half. We made adjustments and played great the rest of the way. It's just my preference. We've essentially had a bye the last two seasons and we came out on fire in 2013 and played awful for the first couple of quarters in 2014. We had a bye before UGA in 2009 and we lost. We played Miami the week before in 2008 and won. Honestly, it probably doesn't matter either way.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
From Ramblin Wreck's posting of the schedule:

On GT:

* Nine of Georgia Tech's 12 opponents played in a bowl game last season - second-most among ACC schools.

The schedule is tougher. Many teams will have a huge revenge factor on their side for the game against Tech. We have that factor against Duke and UNC, but the "big 4" and others will have that revenge mojo on their side. Both of these facts suggest to me that the Yellow Jackets have to fill any possible voids in team leadership by early in the spring practice at the latest. Because every single team member has to bust their backs this offseason to improve every day as they have to become a better team next year if they want to even get close to having success equivalent to last season's.

* It will also be the 20th time Georgia Tech has hosted an ESPN Thursday night game - the most of any FBS school.
Not that I expect anyone to get over Thursday night games at Bobby Dodd and quit whining about them but they are never going to stop. Many ESPN broadcasters plus even more technicians (like camera men and such) call Atlanta home, it has a huge airport pretty easy and cheap to fly into from all over the country, but certainly from the northeast, and typically above average weather in the fall. Plus it is scenic at night in its picturesque stadium with a city skyline as a backdrop. At the moment I can't really think of any other college stadiums that have that last aspect.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
On the ACC:
*In 2015, ACC teams will play a higher percentage of Power Five Conference teams (38%) than any other Power Five Conference.

I don't particularly get worked up about the conference and its national perception. But at least the ACC can say it "ain't skeered." Now if the ACC media and the various members media attaches could just bombard the national media with this kind of fact all the time.

*ACC teams will also play games against opponents who had a higher FBS (.536) and overall (.536) winning percentage in 2014 than any other Power Five Conference.

The conference says "bring it on" so again needs to really promote that fact relentlessly (especially before the games are played and many are lost). Especially if it can get enough teams eligible again to meet all its bowl agreements.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I have yet to understand the paranoia about ND and "tough" schedule.

this schedule give us the ability to ease our young guys with first 2 games, along with and from a defensive standpoint I don't think I have ever seen this with the 1st half of the season being vs. spread teams and the 2nd half vs. pro-style/multiple teams.

I was just about to post the exact same thing in terms of getting similar playing styles all lined up. Although VPI is some amoebic form of offense currently that can't decide which direction it wants to go. Thanks, Scott! Preciatecha!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know what you did or said, probably involved taking a knee and 4 words arranged as a question.

Here is when what you have agreed to will really sink in and hit you . . . when you realize that for the rest of your life your wedding anniversary will be during football season.

But to look on the bright side (a) you won't forget the anniversary date as you can tie it into a Tech football memory on that date and (b) if she enjoys traveling then maybe you can at least see Tech play on the road some years if she will take a weekend anniversary trip to a town the Jackets are playing in. :)
Don't count on that trip to a town the Jackets are playing in. Good luck!

Mr. Keen

Banned
I am too lazy to read through this entire thread, but when Duke plays Wake Forest and Boston College from the Atlantic and Tech plays FSU and Clemson - it renders all things completely unfair and stupid. Case Closed. I hate how incredibly unbalanced the schedules are - DUH!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am too lazy to read through this entire thread, but when Duke plays Wake Forest and Boston College from the Atlantic and Tech plays FSU and Clemson - it renders all things completely unfair and stupid. Case Closed. I hate how incredibly unbalanced the schedules are - DUH!

c'mon, they're still duke

Seriously, I agree that they should switch division record and conference record in the tiebreaker, However, for our goals we want to win them all anyway. Heck, the head-to-head is already one game. If we lose both of them, then we probably weren't going to win the ACC anyway.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
c'mon, they're still duke

Seriously, I agree that they should switch division record and conference record in the tiebreaker, However, for our goals we want to win them all anyway. Heck, the head-to-head is already one game. If we lose both of them, then we probably weren't going to win the ACC anyway.

Our real schedule problem is VT who has the easiest schedule in the division. They could, even with a so-so team, be undefeated or a one loss team in ACC when we play them. It will be a "must win" game for us just due to their weak ACC schedule.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
All in all I'm pleased with the schedule. We knew adding the gold domers and freeshoes would add to the strength of schedule but I don't see anything unfair about it. You play who's in front of you and take it as it comes. I'm already pumped for the '15 season and I don't have any doubts the team will be ready out of the gate!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our real schedule problem is VT who has the easiest schedule in the division. They could, even with a so-so team, be undefeated or a one loss team in ACC when we play them. It will be a "must win" game for us just due to their weak ACC schedule.

I get you that it's not fair, but think about it. It's never happened that we beat vpi and they won the coastal. If it did happen it would prolly be that we'd lose the ACC. It is what it is.