ACC Position Rankings

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Based on Collins' past, you would expect us to improve there; it's a question of whether we see a dramatic improvement in the first year or if it takes more time. Clemson will be a good litmus test, and USF might be.

Regarding the offense (not responding to you, Augusta), we seemed to adjust pretty well to our last major transition. What I saw last year was that our big opponents were often bigger than we were, and sometimes faster too. At last year's UGA game, we were hearing and seeing a lot of "do you even lift, bro?" smack talk. We can't make up that S&C gap in one year, but it looks like we're off to a good start. The change in S&C goals and training might be the biggest difference this year.

Smack that was probably warranted unfortunately.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the "do you even lift bro?" centered on Qua Searcy.

Idk if he lifts, but I know he can fly.

3_20161126155548.jpg

Jmonty71

Banned
Despite what this says for GT, I appreciate David Hale’s attempt at doing this. This comes up a lot in many of our threads, so it’s interesting to see a comparison against other ACC teams. Getcha popcorn ready...

597c53ad3ac37db51b07bbafdf1664d8.jpg

My guess is, the media is unsure who the QB will be. They, like many, are curious to see how everyone transitions. I think this is fair, given the uncertainty. It's up to the team, to prove the media wrong.

Deleted member 2897

They may very well be way off, I certainly hope and expect so, but the predictions make absolute sense.

False.

1 year below 0.500 in ACC play in the last 25 years. Through 5 grad coaches, several different defensive coaches, and more schemes than I can remember.

Their logic is pure horse ****.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
False.

1 year below 0.500 in ACC play in the last 25 years. Through 5 grad coaches, several different defensive coaches, and more schemes than I can remember.

Their logic is pure horse ****.
That makes no sense. They are looking at what we return versus our opponents. What does rhe last 45 years have to do with anything?

Deleted member 2897

That makes no sense. They are looking at what we return versus our opponents. What does rhe last 45 years have to do with anything?

Dunno. I didn’t quote the last 25. I pointed out the last 25 because we’ve had several different head coaches, assistant coaches, and schemes.

You can go by star ratings too, and we’re also not at the bottom of the ACC. (We’re around 9 out of 14 IIRC). And when 1 team is 2.96 avg stars and 4 others are 2.92-3.01 is there really a difference anyway? There is no factual justification for it other than pure disrespect.

The point is, we’ve never been bad, and always had this type of personnel.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Idk if he lifts, but I know he can fly.

3_20161126155548.jpg

Every time I see this from all the angles, I marvel that 5 UGA players could not close that gap quickly enough. It always looks like two of them over ran the play which is understandable given the flow and probably not being able to see him until it was too late but the other three really have no excuse. A tremendously athletic play by Searcy that will forever be a part of Yellow Jacket lore.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Every time I see this from all the angles, I marvel that 5 UGA players could not close that gap quickly enough. It always looks like two of them over ran the play which is understandable given the flow and probably not being able to see him until it was too late but the other three really have no excuse. A tremendously athletic play by Searcy that will forever be a part of Yellow Jacket lore.

Lot of undertones on that play. Rumors of them scouting our practices. We had only run that play once under CPJ. i believe in ‘08. And they had 2/3 defenders follow JT5 after the pitch - which is essentially impossible unless they called that play specifically during the timeout.

IIRC CPJ alluded to them having to have stolen the play at a practice during the postgame. And I think he closed practices the following year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Would you keep going to a doctor that was wrong 24 out of every 25 times he diagnosed you? Yeah, maybe he’s right on his next guess.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lot of undertones on that play. Rumors of them scouting our practices. We had only run that play once under CPJ. i believe in ‘08. And they had 2/3 defenders follow JT5 after the pitch - which is essentially impossible unless they called that play specifically during the timeout.

IIRC CPJ alluded to them having to have stolen the play at a practice during the postgame. And I think he closed practices the following year.

I have "heard" or "read" somewhere that a high school coach was at a practice when they were practicing that play and that is where the "leak' occurred. I do not know if that is true or not but sounds plausible. One thing is for sure, Searcy as a former high school quarterback and defensive back sized up the situation in a split second and made a play that very few players on either team could have made.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone actually understand what most these stats are measuring? RMT? T5? Looks like mumbo jumbo to me.
Mumbo jumbo indeed. I always find it amusing to see journalists try to justify their beliefs with math. Makes me want to say:
"Hey bozo, there's a reason you went to journalism school. Stick to the human interest stuff and leave the statistics to your betters."

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone actually understand what most these stats are measuring? RMT? T5? Looks like mumbo jumbo to me.

I think we are going to surprise all the "experts" pretty much across the board.

he has captions underneath the graphs explaing what each one is.

Its a good idea for something to look at, but everything is weighted evenly and the differences in some of them are tiny, which creates inherit statistical bias.
Think it might be interesting if it was put in a formula, but as raw rankings its not a very good system.

slugboy

Staff member

I think we are going to surprise all the "experts" pretty much across the board.

He gives the stat definitions in the bottom. %1DTD is percentage of catches for first downs or touchdowns. I think Pro Football Focus uses that stat. He’s looked at Red Zone Catchable Throw %—you’re a receiver, the field is jammed up and coverage is tighter, and the throw isn’t ten yards behind you.

The stats are decent stats. If it didn’t fit his eyeball test of what he’d seen the last couple of years, he’d probably tweak which ones he uses. But it’s not set up to be as predictive as what Bill Connelly has.

Keep in mind with stats that some teams are going to fluctuate a deviation above or below. Hale picked Syracuse near the bottom last year, and they played great.

That doesn’t mean that Hale is stupid. That means there are 14 teams, and even with the stats from last year, some are going to perform worse than expected and some are going to perform better. It would be surprising if everyone fell where they were slotted here.

How good was our pass coverage last year? Well, how safe did you feel on 3rd and 15? I felt like the other team had a really good shot at a first down.

Were we playing better at the end of the year than the beginning? I’d say we didn’t really progress during the year—we had a couple of wins towards the end, but it wasn’t the same as in the really solid years where you could see we were putting things together and playing as a team.

If you’re an outsider (like the sports books and the journalists), there’s plenty of objective reason not to expect a lot of wins.

I do have some optimism that we can be this year’s Syracuse. Someone always is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Would you keep going to a doctor that was wrong 24 out of every 25 times he diagnosed you? Yeah, maybe he’s right on his next guess.
First of all none of this matters. I just think it’s funny that we as a group complain that the “usual suspects” get the benefit of the doubt in polls but then expect to get the benefit of the doubt based on our last 25 years. I don’t think we have as little talent as this suggests just that given the big changes in what we do and the lack of returning production at most positions, the chart makes some sense. I don’t get the RB score and I agree that the differences are such that it would make more sense to group teams instead of ranking them.