ACC Position Rankings

Deleted member 2897

I mean ****, all these guys picking us to finish 12th in the ACC and worse are basically expecting a 1-7 season. Sure, that could happen. But based on our history, the odds are probably twice that high that we win the Coastal. I think anybody expecting between 3-5 and 5-3 could defend their predictions. But 0-8 or 1-7? Just pure stupid ****. What I don't get is why the sports 'media' seems to always come down on the side of worst possible outcome, despite the fact we finish there less than any other team in the ACC.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I mean ****, all these guys picking us to finish 12th in the ACC and worse are basically expecting a 1-7 season. Sure, that could happen. But based on our history, the odds are probably twice that high that we win the Coastal. I think anybody expecting between 3-5 and 5-3 could defend their predictions. But 0-8 or 1-7? Just pure stupid ****. What I don't get is why the sports 'media' seems to always come down on the side of worst possible outcome, despite the fact we finish there less than any other team in the ACC.
Why would we expect anything different? The narrative is our recruiting has been weak, which most Tech fans would generally agee with, with the caveat that we recruited to a different scheme so it was okay because our guys were perfect for what we were running. Evidently the “media” agreed but now that we aren’t running that scheme anymore why would they expect us to be good in something we didn’t recruit for? On defense we didn’t show much and the younger kids haven’t proven anything yet. With the significant losses from last year a reasonable assumption is we will continue to be weak. They may very well be way off, I certainly hope and expect so, but the predictions make absolute sense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The DBs are not the worst in conference probably and the STs may not be the 2nd best.
After that , the rest of rankings are very possible.If we get our transfers eligible and they perform we might move the needle a tad though.
Losing the best DL, OL, and maybe running back to an already thin team is a killer.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
The DBs are not the worst in conference probably and the STs may not be the 2nd best.
After that , the rest of rankings are very possible.If we get our transfers eligible and they perform we might move the needle a tad though.
Losing the best DL, OL, and maybe running back to an already thin team is a killer.

We’ve got a kicker who’s never missed, a return man who took 2 to the house as a frosh, and a punter who’s one of the best in the nation. Might be the best.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Not going to argue the statistics, but this sort of underdog status has to be an incredible motivator for the coaches and players.

Especially if the defense gets a couple of stops on a "first game" Clemson. And puts together a performance the rest of the game to build on.

The team can use that as a springboard to keep the motivation going. Being the underdog and overlooked works for me.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I look at the position rankings the main issues I see are on the defensive side. I think the DB and LB are ranked too low, and under CGC will be better. I can’t argue too much on the offensive rankings as most of players were recruited for a different offense. I feel the offensive transition is going to be hard, but I think the players and coaches are better than the rankings given.

slugboy

Staff member
I said the same earlier. The only area we desperately need to improve in on ST is kick coverage.
Based on Collins' past, you would expect us to improve there; it's a question of whether we see a dramatic improvement in the first year or if it takes more time. Clemson will be a good litmus test, and USF might be.

Regarding the offense (not responding to you, Augusta), we seemed to adjust pretty well to our last major transition. What I saw last year was that our big opponents were often bigger than we were, and sometimes faster too. At last year's UGA game, we were hearing and seeing a lot of "do you even lift, bro?" smack talk. We can't make up that S&C gap in one year, but it looks like we're off to a good start. The change in S&C goals and training might be the biggest difference this year.

Last edited:

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on Collins' past, you would expect us to improve there; it's a question of whether we see a dramatic improvement in the first year or if it takes more time. Clemson will be a good litmus test, and USF might be.

Regarding the offense (not responding to you, Augusta), we seemed to adjust pretty well to our last major transition. What I saw last year was that our big opponents were often bigger than we were, and sometimes faster too. At last year's UGA game, we were hearing and seeing a lot of "do you even lift, bro?" smack talk. We can't make up that S&C gap in one year, but it looks like we're off to a good start. The change in S&C goals and training might be the biggest difference this year.

A lot of the "do you even lift bro?" centered on Qua Searcy.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Tariq' and Jerry have the right attitude. Take this as a motivation to get better this summer, right now, every day. Prove the naysayers wrong. For that matter, prove me wrong for saying we would only win 5 and not go to a bowl. Let every man on that team embrace Tariq's admonition as a challenge to make himself into a better player between now and "Toe Meets Leather" at Clemson.