ACC Players Who Have Opted Out of 2020 Season

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Related to us as we play Miami in back third of our schedule:

It's going to be interesting to see how many 1st round guys decide to opt out. He is at least the fourth likely 1st round pick to say he is sitting out and the 3rd of CBSSports Top 10 prospects.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was rumored that Xavier was going to opt out for the season...makes you do a double take that Dabo is releasing that information to the press:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Player opt outs seem to be picking up steam. It is obvious from the last 5 days that the concern level among student-athletes is higher than we realized. I think some of that is because Universities are limited in what they can say from a HIPAA standpoint and it also really isn't in their best interest (especially from a gamesmanship standpoint) to be forthcoming on cases and how serious anything is.

Beyond Thomas at Clemson, Purdue standout WR Moore is done with his college career and will concentrate on the NFL

and 6 players at MD as well as LB Chandler Wooten at Auburn and OL Jordan Reid at Mich St have opted out today.

It wouldn't shock me if a decent number of OL/DL end up deciding to sit out as imo they will be the most likely to get infected.

the SEC is going to a higher level of protocols. Testing at least twice a week (possibly 3 times) done by a third-party, and all coaches, staff and players will be required to wear a mask/neck gaiter while on the sidelines. Physical distancing should be emplyed to the extent possible. Also, each school has to have a protocol oversight officer to ensure compliance with all conference mandates.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't shock me if a decent number of OL/DL end up deciding to sit out as imo they will be the most likely to get infected.

I don't think anyone is more likely to become infected. The OL/DL players might be more at risk of having stronger complications.

the SEC is going to a higher level of protocols. Testing at least twice a week (possibly 3 times) done by a third-party, and all coaches, staff and players will be required to wear a mask/neck gaiter while on the sidelines. Physical distancing should be emplyed to the extent possible. Also, each school has to have a protocol oversight officer to ensure compliance with all conference mandates.

When playing in September, some players go to oxygen masks when they come off of the field. If they are playing early afternoon games in mid-September, how will a player who is struggling to breathe from exertion be able to cover their face with a neck gaiter?

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns
Syracuse football’s players decided not to practice on Thursday afternoon over concerns about playing during the coronavirus pandemic.

Just hours before the first session of preseason camp was slated to start at 4:15 p.m., the players elected to sit out and hold a series of team meetings -- some of which included head coach Dino Babers and athletic director John Wildhack, a source told The Post-Standard | Syracuse.com.

The source said the players were comfortable with Syracuse’s rules, but they are worried other ACC schools, as well as non-conference opponent Liberty, won’t be as careful.
It’s unclear if Orange players plan to sit out practices moving forward. There is a session scheduled for Friday at an undisclosed time.

The ACC’s coronavirus plan does not include as frequent testing as that of the SEC and Big Ten.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think anyone is more likely to become infected. The OL/DL players might be more at risk of having stronger complications.

When playing in September, some players go to oxygen masks when they come off of the field. If they are playing early afternoon games in mid-September, how will a player who is struggling to breathe from exertion be able to cover their face with a neck gaiter?

The reason I mentioned the OL/DL is that they are literally in each others faces on every play. That is different from QB, RB, WR, LB, secondary who all play in a little more space and don't necessarily have alot of contact on every play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if they'll install full-face shields inside the grill of the helmets. That would help somewhat. Can't imagine that going over well, though.

I could see these guys running around with a helmet resembling a motorcycle helmet, fully enclosed.:rolleyes::unsure:🤔🤣

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Talk about missing the entire point. But that is typical Deion.
None of these players and their movement are about being bigger than the game or that the games won't go on - not one of them has mentioned that. It is about the right to expect those in charge to provide a safe environment in which to play and the right for individuals to make their own choice about whether it makes sense to them to play right now.

It's not about trying to stop the games from happening, its about trying to make sure it is done in a safe manner.

Milwaukee

Banned
Talk about missing the entire point. But that is typical Deion.
None of these players and their movement are about being bigger than the game or that the games won't go on - not one of them has mentioned that. It is about the right to expect those in charge to provide a safe environment in which to play and the right for individuals to make their own choice about whether it makes sense to them to play right now.

It's not about trying to stop the games from happening, its about trying to make sure it is done in a safe manner.

Talk about missing the entire point. But that is typical Red.
Pac12 players are opting out because they want to get paid and are entitled babies. The show goes on as Deion said.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pac12 players are opting out because they want to get paid and are entitled babies. The show goes on as Deion said.
Typical Milwaukee being misleading. Only one group has mentioned revenue - The PAC12 and that was thrown in as a bargining point by Huma. The majority of the demands have centered around the safety of the student athletes and asking to have a say since they are the ones taking on all the risk. And among their revenue proposals while the 50% idea is silly and they don't show a strong understanding of how endowments work, I actually like their idea of 2% of the revenue going to fund scholarships for low income youth.

I'm actually more excited about college football than I have been for months. What the student groups are doing is forcing the coaches and administrators to pay more than lip service to safety of players.
IMO what the student groups are doing is making it more likely we get college football this fall and get more games. The way the administrators and coaches were approaching the season there was little likelihood of actually getting through it. Now we may get most of a season.

Last edited:

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Certainly they have the right to "opt out" and I would hope that, at the same time, they woud be "opting out" of a full scholarship (and all that entails) as well as a college education.

Deleted member 2897

Certainly they have the right to "opt out" and I would hope that, at the same time, they woud be "opting out" of a full scholarship (and all that entails) as well as a college education.

giphy.gif