ACC Network Updates

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice summary of options in this article if your provider doesn't have ACC Network. There are links to the other providers.

Sling is by far the least expensive, which is probably part of the reason why it's taking longer to negotiate. I'll give them some time since they have been good to me in the past. I really like being able to switch plans all the time. Get to watch ESPN3 and baseball under Orange and then flip to Blue package for Tour de France.

Looks like Hulu live for me if Sling doesn't come through.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice summary of options in this article if your provider doesn't have ACC Network. There are links to the other providers.

Sling is by far the least expensive, which is probably part of the reason why it's taking longer to negotiate. I'll give them some time since they have been good to me in the past. I really like being able to switch plans all the time. Get to watch ESPN3 and baseball under Orange and then flip to Blue package for Tour de France.

Looks like Hulu live for me if Sling doesn't come through.

I think Sling may be owned by Dish, so that negotiation with Dish is probably controlling.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone actually watched ACCN on Directv. I have the channel but get the screen the shows how to get it. I called and was told I should get it but they have not started broadcasting yet and did not know when they would. I am in Alabama (where the state flower is the dish.)
Bob

I have, it works on my directTV, channel 612

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I find it comical that the ACCN and individual teams are begging fans to call the cable companies to carry the channel. That should have been the new network's top priority starting two years ago......instead of thinking they were sitting in the catbird's seat. ESPN continues to destroy college sports. I will end up watching less and less games.

I think that reflects in the arrogance of swofford and certain elitist segments within the ACC. JMO

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I am about to cut the cord. My cable/internet pkg deal is about set to run out again, and this time, I am going to go just internet and get youtube TV. It will save me about $35/month as compared to what Spectrum would charge me if I just kept going. My guess is that when I cut the cord, Spectrum will be calling again offering a pkg that they could have offered before I cut the cord, but they are SO stupid with their marketing strategies. Would it not be better to keep giving loyal, consistent customers the same $$ for staying signed up, or is it better to play the stupid games? They are USELESS.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I am about to cut the cord. My cable/internet pkg deal is about set to run out again, and this time, I am going to go just internet and get youtube TV. It will save me about $35/month as compared to what Spectrum would charge me if I just kept going. My guess is that when I cut the cord, Spectrum will be calling again offering a pkg that they could have offered before I cut the cord, but they are SO stupid with their marketing strategies. Would it not be better to keep giving loyal, consistent customers the same $$ for staying signed up, or is it better to play the stupid games? They are USELESS.
I have Dish snd will be doing likewise.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
All of the cable companies do this. I don’t understand it. As a “new customer” the deals are always 15 times better than a loyal customer. It’s bad business. Marketing 101 is retention is 1/3 of the cost of acquisition. How they even have a business still shocks me!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I find it comical that the ACCN and individual teams are begging fans to call the cable companies to carry the channel. That should have been the new network's top priority starting two years ago......instead of thinking they were sitting in the catbird's seat. ESPN continues to destroy college sports. I will end up watching less and less games.
This. I would want advertising dollars the first year or two so it could build up viewers. That’s like selling seats at bowl games for an exorbitant prices, demand teams buy them, then play to empty stadiums. Marketing 101.

Milwaukee

Banned
All of the cable companies do this. I don’t understand it. As a “new customer” the deals are always 15 times better than a loyal customer. It’s bad business. Marketing 101 is retention is 1/3 of the cost of acquisition. How they even have a business still shocks me!

After my 1st year of “promo” pricing my price was gonna go up $55 so I told them I was cancelling unless I continued to get the same rate. They gave it to me. I pay $94/mo for the best internet on the market and I get all the premium movie channels HBO CMax Showtime Starz and a souped up sports pack that includes my soccer channels. The cord cutters are losing money or not getting enough content, plain and simple. How much is your internet alone once you cut the cord? Tack that on with these other hulu, youtube, psVue, Netflix, etc packages and you’re getting killed.

I also pay for Netflix and Prime though. I still come out WAY ahead for what I get.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This. I would want advertising dollars the first year or two so it could build up viewers. That’s like selling seats at bowl games for an exorbitant prices, demand teams buy them, then play to empty stadiums. Marketing 101.

But that isn't ESPN's business model. Their business model is to have channels included in every possible package so they can charge every cable/sat subscriber whether they like sports or not. ESPN's revenue has been mostly subscriber fees. The highest I have seen estimates of ad revenue were 40% of their total revenue. They can't give up 60-70% of their revenue to build up viewers. If they did that, then the viewers would then be angry after a year or two when they were expected to start paying for something that they were getting for free.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
After my 1st year of “promo” pricing my price was gonna go up $55 so I told them I was cancelling unless I continued to get the same rate. They gave it to me. I pay $94/mo for the best internet on the market and I get all the premium movie channels HBO CMax Showtime Starz and a souped up sports pack that includes my soccer channels. The cord cutters are losing money or not getting enough content, plain and simple. How much is your internet alone once you cut the cord? Tack that on with these other hulu, youtube, psVue, Netflix, etc packages and you’re getting killed.

I also pay for Netflix and Prime though. I still come out WAY ahead for what I get.

Milwaukee: In marketed areas for Spectrum that have real competition, this is possible. They know you have quality options, so they will do a lot to keep you. I have played the bluff game with them before, and some times, they continue the same package. Other times, they let me cut the cord, only to be calling me the next day offering me the same pkg basically. Although the last time, they reduced my channels somewhat, so it was not really like vs. like, although the price remained the same. Where I live, they have a monopoly, especially on internet. The only other internet I can get is too slow to consider, so Spectrum knows this. I wish my total bill was $94. My current total Spectrum bill, which is about to change, with a bundled pkg. is 110.94 per month after taxes and fees, and I have no premiums. Again, it just depends on where you live. I don't watch most of the channels that Spectrum gives me, and if I stay without getting completely off, my bill will rise to about $130/month. If I change to only Spectrum internet (YES, they will shaft me at $65.99/month), my total bill using YouTube TV will be $116 basically/month. I am tired of playing games with Spectrum - been doing it now for about 10-12 years.

But, you are correct about the loss of overall channels. If any of those channels were important, I guess I would stay with Spectrum for the TV.

Animal02

Banned
But that isn't ESPN's business model. Their business model is to have channels included in every possible package so they can charge every cable/sat subscriber whether they like sports or not. ESPN's revenue has been mostly subscriber fees. The highest I have seen estimates of ad revenue were 40% of their total revenue. They can't give up 60-70% of their revenue to build up viewers. If they did that, then the viewers would then be angry after a year or two when they were expected to start paying for something that they were getting for free.
ESPN has already done that. It used to be you could get just about any game on ESPN3....then it moved to you had to get the channel....like ESPNU....they have been making in more difficult and expensive to watch the games you want to watch.

Animal02

Banned
It is not bad business when you are competing against one or two cable companies for new customers and your existing customers have few options to change.....It is different when there more and more choices.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

You just have to play their game. I had a buddy who switched from Direct to Dish. Direct came to take their dish down and he told them “don’t bother with that, I’ll be switching back to you in 12 months”.

After hearing what all of you pay for tv and internet, I cant help but feel royally screwed with my package. With Comcast, for $270/mo, I basically get all the channels with a sports pack, and starz movie channels only with an internet package that's not really as fast as what's offered in other areas. I don't think the cable has been upgraded enough to provide the really fast speeds, and I'm worried that if I cut the cord and go with Comcast internet only and an online tv provider, the internet signal won't be strong enough to where I can get tv in the bedrooms without constant stopping.