ACC Network Updates

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the ACC advertised prominently at Yankee Stadium Tuesday night

0636caddd2ef77548de2f3f08246d5b5.jpg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Any insiders in the industry on here that can explain why Comcast may not carry it? I can't fathom them giving up that many subscribers, me included, in this cut the cord environment. Do thousands of customers not matter to Comcast ?

I'm not an insider. However, it is all part of larger issues. ESPN has historically charged very high for it's channels. I have seen estimates that cable/sat companies pay $10-$15 for every subscriber they have to Disney just for the ESPN suite of channels. Local stations keep increasing their carriage rates too.

Many people are cord cutters because they simply don't want to pay $70, $90, $120 a month for a bundle of channels, most of which they don't want to watch. I am sure that the cable/sat companies are looking at several things: Since the ACCN launch is not in sync with the ESPN contracts, it is a smaller audience than the main ESPN channel. Even if it was in sync with the major channel, how much money would be lost from cutting ESPN vs how much money would be lost from losing subscribers if the rates rise $2 again? $5 again? $10 again? It isn't just the threat of losing the 30-40% who watch ESPN that the cable/sat companies are worried about. They are worried about losing the 60-70% who don't watch ESPN and don't want to pay for it. I will be surprised if Dish signs an ACCN deal. I won't be surprised if other cable/sat companies don't sign deals or at least wait until during the season to sign. I am sure that all of them would like to see ESPN lose their bargaining power.

ChooChoo Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Plus...Don't forget the NCTC deal... So the Channel is going to launch with about 32M subscribers before Spectrum/Comcast/Cox/Uverse/Dish are added.. This may end up being the most subscribed launch if ESPN can close on SPECTRUM and Comcast... We may launch with 50M plus..

The Big Dawgs of the NCTC deal:

1. Atlantic Broadband- is the ninth-largest cable operator in the USA, based on the number of television service customers served. The company provides internet, TV and phone serivces in 11 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

2. Armstrong - Provides high-speed Internet, television and telephone service in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, West Virginia, Maryland and Kentucky.

3. EPB - Serves an area that includes greater Chattanooga and Hamilton County, portions of surrounding Southeastern Tennessee counties and areas of north Georgia.

For a full list of the 750 independent cable and broadband operators that will carry the ACC Network please click below

https://www.nctconline.org/index.php/about-nctc/our-members

That isn't the Chattanooga EPB that is part of NCTC unfortunately. I have Chattanooga EPB cable and they told me today they are working on adding theACC network.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not an insider. However, it is all part of larger issues. ESPN has historically charged very high for it's channels. I have seen estimates that cable/sat companies pay $10-$15 for every subscriber they have to Disney just for the ESPN suite of channels. Local stations keep increasing their carriage rates too.

Many people are cord cutters because they simply don't want to pay $70, $90, $120 a month for a bundle of channels, most of which they don't want to watch. I am sure that the cable/sat companies are looking at several things: Since the ACCN launch is not in sync with the ESPN contracts, it is a smaller audience than the main ESPN channel. Even if it was in sync with the major channel, how much money would be lost from cutting ESPN vs how much money would be lost from losing subscribers if the rates rise $2 again? $5 again? $10 again? It isn't just the threat of losing the 30-40% who watch ESPN that the cable/sat companies are worried about. They are worried about losing the 60-70% who don't watch ESPN and don't want to pay for it. I will be surprised if Dish signs an ACCN deal. I won't be surprised if other cable/sat companies don't sign deals or at least wait until during the season to sign. I am sure that all of them would like to see ESPN lose their bargaining power.
Thanks for response RonJohn. The cable companies are in a pickle in that they are ded without the 30% OR the 70%. Kinda like getting shot by a 9mm or a 3030--take your pick.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m still stuck with Comcast for internet. Right around $100 for internet, Hulu, and Netflix

Years ago—I think it was in the print version of Forbes—someone looked at the cable providers. With the equipment and capital spending, and the fact that they have to upgrade so much just to keep pace with consumer expectations, the analyst said they were all basically zero value stocks.

They’re in a commodity marketplace and they want high profits. Comcast bought a lot of content providers, like NBC, to get profits, and now the cost to make content went up thanks to competition from Amazon and Netflix. So, they have a commodity business that they used to buy what’s becoming a commodity business.

(Sorry for the tangent. I’m on Comcast, and hoping they’ll have something)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I took a chance yesterday and emailed the sports editor of the Augusta paper explaining the problem in Augusta with neither of the two major cable companies here having indicated their plans (or lack of plans) regarding the ACC Network. Although the editor is a die-hard Georgia fan, with whom I have had a few "tangles" over the years, he was very sympathetic to the problem and promised either to see what he himself could find out or write an editorial concerning it in the daily paper. I figure, as a sports editor of a major mid-sized town paper, he would certainly have more clout than I would. Even though he has always been inflexible regarding the very limited Tech coverage in Augusta, I actually trust him on this one. We shall see.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I took a chance yesterday and emailed the sports editor of the Augusta paper explaining the problem in Augusta with neither of the two major cable companies here having indicated their plans (or lack of plans) regarding the ACC Network. Although the editor is a die-hard Georgia fan, with whom I have had a few "tangles" over the years, he was very sympathetic to the problem and promised either to see what he himself could find out or write an editorial concerning it in the daily paper. I figure, as a sports editor of a major mid-sized town paper, he would certainly have more clout than I would. Even though he has always been inflexible regarding the very limited Tech coverage in Augusta, I actually trust him on this one. We shall see.

Headline: Major Cable Weighs-In on Tech Irrelevancy

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan