ACC Media Days

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"Obviously really excited to get into camp, to continue to love these guys and grow that relationship with them. So proud of what they've accomplished in practice, we're getting better every day, they bring the right mindset and we've got a great opportunity to show that love for each other every single day"
- every CGC response to any question
Every. Single. Day.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
KQ posted this for anyone interested:

The most encouraging part:

Q. The offensive line is only returning one starter, Jordan Williams. Some pretty good qualified transfers have come in. What was it like running behind those guys in the spring?

DONTAE SMITH: It was different, but also, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I thought since we're playing with younger guys, things would be sloppier, and it was the complete opposite.

Those guys came out, showed that they can play, showed that they knew what they were doing, and I appreciate them for doing so. I think, like you said, we have transfers coming in, and some that didn't get to do spring, and from what I've seen in OTAs, they're doing the same thing. They're soak it in. They're working hard.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
"Obviously really excited to get into camp, to continue to love these guys and grow that relationship with them. So proud of what they've accomplished in practice, we're getting better every day, they bring the right mindset and we've got a great opportunity to show that love for each other every single day"
- every CGC response to any question
Yup. I really want to like the guy and believe that he can turn it around, but when he does that he just comes off as someone who doesn’t want to admit fault or failure because he thinks it makes him look weak.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
blows my mind we still have people that get mad for collins giving the same answers as every college football coach but because its collins we have people crying lol
I listened to a number of (not all) of the coaches this week. CGC was definitely the least specific and most repetitive I heard by far. He has toned down the hype which is good but there is a difference between how he handles them vs other coaches, in my opinion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I listened to a number of (not all) of the coaches this week. CGC was definitely the least specific and most repetitive I heard by far. He has toned down the hype which is good but there is a difference between how he handles them vs other coaches, in my opinion.
I think a lot of that is personality. Obviously, there are a whole lot of people on this forum that do not like CGC's personality. He grates on me too, so I just don't watch his interviews. I watch the players and the assistant coaches but tend to skip his. It makes me a less unhappy person.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of that is personality. Obviously, there are a whole lot of people on this forum that do not like CGC's personality. He grates on me too, so I just don't watch his interviews. I watch the players and the assistant coaches but tend to skip his. It makes me a less unhappy person.
I haven't listened to one speech or press from CGC in well over a year. My quality of life has improved. I learned that he was negatively affecting me when watching or listening, so I stopped. Its a fun concept for anyone else who had the same issues I had. I no longer get angry when hearing about my team, or the practice, or the performance of that days game.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't listened to one speech or press from CGC in well over a year. My quality of life has improved. I learned that he was negatively affecting me when watching or listening, so I stopped. Its a fun concept for anyone else who had the same issues I had. I no longer get angry when hearing about my team, or the practice, or the performance of that days game.
its like shame eating... you know it's bad for you but sometimes you cant make yourself stop. Elite ! High Level ! :D

In all seriousness though, it would be nice to be able to listen to our HC's media content and actually get something of interest, but that's not gonna happen with CGC.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think he’s a mediocre orator but i think people go way too hard at his press conferences considering pretty much all college coaches speak in coaching cliches and whatever their little message thing is going into the year (chop the wood, row the boat, make the main thing the main thing, if you really wanted to there’s probably 100 more canned phrases you can find) it really isn’t hard to see this if you pay even a sliver of attention to college football across the country.

i think people just hate collins for his record (which is fair) but they let that negatively influence too many other things. this is why we see grown men commenting about his jeans or people crying about waffle house

i also think he is asked pretty tame questions that are so generic that it can never get a really intriguing answer out of him. our media is so soft no one really challenges him at press conferences

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info. I missed CGC but based on the write up I did not miss much. I have heard his BS enough to know what is coming. I am encouraged by the player comments. Maybe there will be a little more accountability involved. I think they will respond. Go Jackets!!!
Not a lot of "elite" used but he did use "play at a high level" several times. He claimed he is not paid to advertise Waffle House.

slugboy

Staff member
About coach speak:

Sean McVay (Rams) does a great job breaking down a play and talking about anything that happened in a game at virtually any point in the game. I’d love to hear him break down a game as the coach of my team. Since he’s a Super Bowl coach, that’s not likely to happen any time soon.

Reporters talk about his freakish ability to recall and talk about any play from any point in time. Most NFL coaches are nowhere close to describing game action in that way. There are some coaches like Dean Pees who reporters love, who can give a great breakdown of part of a game.

That’s unusual. Reporters gush about Pees and McVay, but a big reason for that is that they don’t get anything nearly as useful or interesting out of other coaches.

For most coaches, I get little to nothing out of their press conferences. For example, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a Nick Saban presser. The same with Jimbo Fisher. It’s really a shame because part of coaching can be communicating complex concepts clearly.

There are a few great speakers out there. We could hope for more out of Collins, and he gives a below-average presser, but he’s not out of the mainstream.

Looking at ACC Media days, is there a coach who said something memorable in a good way?

(Narduzzi got a lot of press, but mostly because he talked smack about Michigan State)

JacketFan137

Banned
About coach speak:

Sean McVay (Rams) does a great job breaking down a play and talking about anything that happened in a game at virtually any point in the game. I’d love to hear him break down a game as the coach of my team. Since he’s a Super Bowl coach, that’s not likely to happen any time soon.

Reporters talk about his freakish ability to recall and talk about any play from any point in time. Most NFL coaches are nowhere close to describing game action in that way. There are some coaches like Dean Pees who reporters love, who can give a great breakdown of part of a game.

That’s unusual. Reporters gush about Pees and McVay, but a big reason for that is that they don’t get anything nearly as useful or interesting out of other coaches.

For most coaches, I get little to nothing out of their press conferences. For example, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a Nick Saban presser. The same with Jimbo Fisher. It’s really a shame because part of coaching can be communicating complex concepts clearly.

There are a few great speakers out there. We could hope for more out of Collins, and he gives a below-average presser, but he’s not out of the mainstream.

Looking at ACC Media days, is there a coach who said something memorable in a good way?

(Narduzzi got a lot of press, but mostly because he talked smack about Michigan State)
honestly the only significant takeaways i had was dabo swinney kind of doubling down on his NIL take and narduzzi talking some trash. this current crop of acc coaches are not big personalities outside of dabo.

cristobal appears to be a hard *** and i bet in short time we are gonna have people saying our next hire needs to be a guy like him as he’s already taken away the turnover chain and is selling this blue collar miami football dream. very generic “we will focus on the important things and work hard” talk.

we also have several new coaches so i think most of the focus was around the new hires. not a lot of great story lines in the conference and not too many highly touted returning players so the media is really struggling to sell this year of acc football