ACC Kickoff

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Johnson: Despite success, keep expectations at Tech in check

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...tions-at-tech-/nm3xj/#9dda4b71.3828699.735799

Asked a few different times and a few different ways if the expectations should be different at Tech now, Johnson said, “Let me say it this way: I don’t see anything that’s changed other than that we won 11 games. We didn’t add majors. We didn’t pour more money into the football program. We didn’t go hire high-priced guys. It’s kind of the same as it’s always been.”
There are a few hard core Tech fans that I wish would read this and get a little bit of perspective. I doubt anyone other than CPJ could thread the needle as well as he does right now between academics, working with the administration, fielding competitive teams and graduating players, all with a fraction of the resources his competitors have to work with.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Johnson: Despite success, keep expectations at Tech in check

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...tions-at-tech-/nm3xj/#9dda4b71.3828699.735799

Asked a few different times and a few different ways if the expectations should be different at Tech now, Johnson said, “Let me say it this way: I don’t see anything that’s changed other than that we won 11 games. We didn’t add majors. We didn’t pour more money into the football program. We didn’t go hire high-priced guys. It’s kind of the same as it’s always been.”

Lots of interesting quotes in there, especially towards the end.

Also confirmed what has been rumor and talked about...CPJ was indeed offered the Auburn job following the 2008 season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are a few hard core Tech fans that I wish would read this and get a little bit of perspective. I doubt anyone other than CPJ could thread the needle as well as he does right now between academics, working with the administration, fielding competitive teams and graduating players, all with a fraction of the resources his competitors have to work with.
They should also realize that most of the schools that are similar to us academically (in both scope and quality) don't even field D1 football teams.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
If I understand the Car Wash schedule correctly, CPJ should have been on 5 min. ago. Following Cutcliffe. Yikes. I can picture CPJ standing off to the side trying not to roll his eyes as he waits.

And....he's behind the podium now. Characteristically, he started with a scratch of his head. We're off...!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Remember how Miss St. jumped Mich St. in the playoff poll during championship week, a week where neither team played a game?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
"After the North Carolina game a year ago we turned to more pressure and decided we're going to get off the field one way or the other. Our guys kind of took to that and we played better on defense down the stretch."

confirmed changes...ends that debate I believe

which is why sometimes a loss is good. We beat UNC...not sure we see the change and may not win a game or two we did down the stretch

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson said:
Let me say it this way: I don’t see anything that’s changed other than that we won 11 games. We didn’t add majors. We didn’t pour more money into the football program. We didn’t go hire high-priced guys. It’s kind of the same as it’s always been.

It was best said:

CPJ is definitely a man, and he definitely knows the limitations at GT. Fortunately, he is someone who is willing to accept the challenges that come with being a HC at GT. What would be better for GT and its fans: a consistent winner that brings enthusiasm, stability and accountability to the program or someone that comes in, wins a NC and then leaves giving us the roller coaster of . . . ? One of the things that I have thought about the anti-CPJ crowd always has been; given the issues at GT, who would be better than CPJ - and stay here long enough to make it matter? With CPJ I have felt, most of the time, that GT has a chance at being competitive in every game GT plays and that CPJ is not just looking for his next gig.

That is definitely an article that every GT fan needs to keep in mind because CPJ sums up all that we know to be true about sports at GT. The fact that GT has enjoyed the success it has over its history is impressive. Other institutions with similar issues have tried and most, if not all, have either stopped competing at the highest level or stopped competing at all. While I have a personal feeling that GT may have turned a corner (for GT), I know that GT will never perform at factory-school levels year-in-year-out. Those that expect GT to do so are fooling themselves - even Dodd knew that was not in GT's future as the game and the culture changed.

I am happy for CPJ to have had a year like 2014 - it gives him greater freedom to be who he is. I hope he has many more. I love a straight shooter and CPJ is definitely that.

Because GT could do way worse: