ACC Football Thread

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I was skeptical about this post so I went googling. Unfortunately, I found this article:
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/taxslayer-bowl-president-thank-god-for-kentucky-fans/

The two lowest attended Gator Bowl games since 1958 both involved us: 2016 vs Kentucky (lowest since 1958) and 2000 vs Miami. And this statement from the Gator Bowl president: "in this cycle they won’t play in Jacksonville again". So it looks like the Gator Bowl is out this year and the next two.

“Do better GT fans”

Can’t really sum it up any better than that. Why don’t we recruit better? Poor fan base. Why can’t we get better bowls? Poor fan base.

But CPJ and our scheme will get the blame from many....who mostly never show up anyway to bowls or home games.

Yes, do better GT fans.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that Athlon thinks are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they think they will go to

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Notre Dame

National Championship Game: Clemson vs Alabama

Sun Bowl: Boston College vs Oregon

Military Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Temple

Belk Bowl: Virginia vs Auburn

Camping World Bowl: NCSU vs West Virginia

Music City Bowl: Pitt vs Missouri

Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse vs Purdue

Independence Bowl: Duke vs Louisiana Tech

Quick Lane Bowl: Miami vs BYU

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that College Football News think are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they think they will go to

National Championship Game: Clemson vs Alabama

Sun Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Arizona State

Military Bowl: Miami vs Memphis

Belk Bowl: NCSU vs South Carolina

Camping World Bowl: Pitt vs Iowa State

Music City Bowl: Duke vs Mississippi State

Independence Bowl: Boston College vs Southern Miss

Quick Lane Bowl: Virginia vs Western Michigan

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that Brant Parsons of the Orlando Sentinel thinks are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they will be going to

Sun Bowl: Boston College vs California

Military Bowl: Virginia vs Temple

Belk Bowl: NCSU vs Auburn

Camping World Bowl: Pitt vs West Virginia

Music City Bowl: Syracuse vs South Carolina

Independence Bowl: Duke vs UAB

Pinstripe Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Michigan State

Quick Lane Bowl: Miami vs Ohio U

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...football-bowl-projections-2018-htmlstory.html

Animal02

Banned
Here are the ACC teams that Brant Parsons of the Orlando Sentinel thinks are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they will be going to

Sun Bowl: Boston College vs California

Military Bowl: Virginia vs Temple

Belk Bowl: NCSU vs Auburn

Camping World Bowl: Pitt vs West Virginia

Music City Bowl: Syracuse vs South Carolina

Independence Bowl: Duke vs UAB

Pinstripe Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Michigan State

Quick Lane Bowl: Miami vs Ohio U

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...football-bowl-projections-2018-htmlstory.html
Really hoping for a GT MSU match up.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I was skeptical about this post so I went googling. Unfortunately, I found this article:
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/taxslayer-bowl-president-thank-god-for-kentucky-fans/

The two lowest attended Gator Bowl games since 1958 both involved us: 2016 vs Kentucky (lowest since 1958) and 2000 vs Miami. And this statement from the Gator Bowl president: "in this cycle they won’t play in Jacksonville again". So it looks like the Gator Bowl is out this year and the next two.

Looking into this further, last year's game between Miss St and Louisville was even worse by about 2K, and the lowest attendance since 1957.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/bowls/gator-bowl.html

Attendance at our Gator Bowl games in 2007 and 1999 were fine, with 1999 being a sellout. I also remember a theory going around that fewer Tech fans were going to travel to our bowl game in 2016 as many spent a fair amount of money going to Ireland at the beginning of the year.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Looking into this further, last year's game between Miss St and Louisville was even worse by about 2K, and the lowest attendance since 1957.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/bowls/gator-bowl.html

Attendance at our Gator Bowl games in 2007 and 1999 were fine, with 1999 being a sellout. I also remember a theory going around that fewer Tech fans were going to travel to our bowl game in 2016 as many spent a fair amount of money going to Ireland at the beginning of the year.

Any idea what “in this cycle” means in the following quote?

In fairness to Georgia Tech, we have had one sellout where it played [in 1999 vs. Notre Dame] and in this cycle they won’t play in Jacksonville again.

Honestly, I’ve never liked Jacksonville so not going back would be fine by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that College Football Talk from NBC Sports thinks will go to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they think they will go to

Sun Bowl: Duke vs Stanford

Military Bowl: Virginia Tech vs Memphis

Belk Bowl: Georgia Tech vs South Carolina

Camping World Bowl: NCSU vs Iowa State

Music City Bowl: Pitt vs Mississippi State

Independence Bowl: Virginia vs Marshall

Quick Lane Bowl: Boston College vs Army

Gasparilla Bowl: Miami vs Cincinnati

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here is the updated list of ACC teams that Sporting News thinks are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they think they will go to

Sun Bowl: Syracuse vs Arizona State

Military Bowl: Boston College vs SMU

Belk Bowl: Virginia vs Missouri

Camping World Bowl: NCSU vs Iowa State

Music City Bowl: Pitt vs Vanderbilt

Pinstripe Bowl: Duke vs Purdue

Independence Bowl: Miami vs BYU

Quick Lane Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Northern Illinois

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC teams that Bleacher Report think are going to Bowl Games and the Bowl Games that they think they will go to

Quick Lane Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Northern Illinois

Independence Bowl: Miami vs Tulane

Pinstripe Bowl: Duke vs Purdue

Music City Bowl: Pitt vs Missouri

Camping World Bowl: Syracuse vs Texas

Belk Bowl: NCSU vs South Carolina

Military Bowl: Virginia vs Houston

Sun Bowl: Boston College vs Oregon

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Any idea what “in this cycle” means in the following quote?

In fairness to Georgia Tech, we have had one sellout where it played [in 1999 vs. Notre Dame] and in this cycle they won’t play in Jacksonville again.

Honestly, I’ve never liked Jacksonville so not going back would be fine by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Tech has a fairly storied history in the Gator. 2. It’s also a fairly short drive if you live in Georgia.

I’d hate to think we won’t be going back but our absence in the face of #2 hurts us in that and every other bowl sadly.

Tech fans are hard to get motivated. If it’s “too far away” many won’t go. If the matchup isn’t an old rival or a factory the game isn’t exciting enough to see in person. If the season ending is a bit disappointing (lose to georgie)...they don’t get motivated to go. If the bowl isn’t a major bowl, then “meh.”

Tech fans can far more easily find reasons to not go to a bowl than to go to one. Distance and cost, I get it. Work schedule or family life obligations make it hard, I get it. But it takes a lot to get Tech fans excited about bowl games nowadays.