ACC Football Thread

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
So is there a consensus as to who we should be rooting for tonight? UVA or Pitt?

I’m not exactly well versed on tiebreakers that’d allow us to get in over Pitt if we both have three conference losses. Who would the third team have to be? Because if it’s seemingly likely that the third team will get to five wins, I might be inclined to root for Pitt.
Right now i hope the Goodyear Blimp hits the stadium

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So is there a consensus as to who we should be rooting for tonight? UVA or Pitt?

I’m not exactly well versed on tiebreakers that’d allow us to get in over Pitt if we both have three conference losses. Who would the third team have to be? Because if it’s seemingly likely that the third team will get to five wins, I might be inclined to root for Pitt.

If UVA wins tonight, we would be forced to win the rest of our ACC games, which we will have to do anyway, and we would need UVA to lose to VT. If this happened, VT would need to lose two out of their other three remaining conference games. In this situation, GT, UVA, and VT would all be 5-3 in conference and we would own the tie breaker. We would also need Pitt to lose two more in the conference after tonight’s loss.

If Pitt wins tonight, they would have to lose their last three games, which are all conference matchups, in order for us to stay in the hunt, assuming we win all three of our remaining conference games, since they own the tie-breaker. VT would also need to do no better than 2-2 in their remaining four conference games. I think UVA would probably need to give VT one if its losses in this scenario.

This made my head hurt and I’m not sure I’m right. Things will be much clearer after this week.

Bottom line...we must go 3-0 in our remaining conference games. I think I’m pulling for UVA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
If UVA wins tonight, we would be forced to win the rest of our ACC games, which we will have to do anyway, and we would need UVA to lose to VT. If this happened, VT would need to lose two out of their other three remaining conference games. In this situation, GT, UVA, and VT would all be 5-3 in conference and we would own the tie breaker. We would also need Pitt to lose two more in the conference after tonight’s loss.

If Pitt wins tonight, they would have to lose their last three games, which are all conference matchups, in order for us to stay in the hunt, assuming we win all three of our remaining conference games, since they own the tie-breaker. VT would also need to do no better than 2-2 in their remaining four conference games. I think UVA would probably need to give VT one if its losses in this scenario.

This made my head hurt and I’m not sure I’m right. Things will be much clearer after this week.

Bottom line...we must go 3-0 in our remaining conference games. I think I’m pulling for UVA.

I'm pretty sure that if there were a three team tie at 5-3 with Pitt, us, and somebody else, there's a scenario where we win that tiebreaker (assuming Pitt loses to two coastal teams, and not Wake Forest).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that if there were a three team tie at 5-3 with Pitt, us, and somebody else, there's a scenario where we win that tiebreaker (assuming Pitt loses to two coastal teams, and not Wake Forest).

How? If we are tied with Pitt in the conference and they beat us then they win the tie breaker, I think.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How? If we are tied with Pitt in the conference and they beat us then they win the tie breaker, I think.

I haven't double checked, but one of the tie breakers is division record. If their 3 losses are to coastal teams, we'd win that. It may be that the third team would have to be a team we beat who beat Pitt so that the head to head was 1 and 1 for each team.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer