ACC Football Discussion Anyone?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Phrasing?
Um, no. I was getting a the BYU advantage of lining up 14-25 year old grown men back from two years of mission and playing 19-year-olds. I have no idea, I just know that age is a terrific advantage, all things being equal. I mean, if they can play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought Bronco would have a hard time. Two main factors there:

a) He came from a very old school school. BYU is not party city. Also, his teams were famous for having a lot of older players; i.e. people who knew how to take the BS as something they needed to put up with to play.

b) BYU is the Mormon ND. It is the first choice for most every Mormon athlete in the West (don't think there are many elsewhere). They don't get them all, but their whole network is based on choosing, not recruiting. Moving to the other side of the country and trying to transplant that style in the Tidewater was bound to cause problems. And will continue to, now that Fuentes is at VT.

I was hoping Richt would also have problems, but it looks like he's making the transition pretty well. Miami deciding to actually become, you know, an academic institution might have actually helped. Too bad, that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You'd think a team with 3 bowl wins in 6 years and had an NFL QB wouldn't be considered "blah" or a "mess", at least not relative to some others in the ACC. But perception takes a while to change and I agree the new coach inherited a mess this year.

It feels only slightly better than what CPast inherited, and the Orange is trying the whole up tempo thing which is turning the scoreboard into a disaster.

7 point dogs at UConn this weekend... :eek:... I blame @ilovetheoption, which I take is the spirit of this thread.

You just cursed our bball team I think.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think GT is better then their non-ranking and Klimpsun worse than their #5 ranking. Thursday night should be a battle, but GT does have a shot at winning.

GT will be the 1st real team Miami will play. I'd love for GT to slap the artificial taste of success out of their mouths.

Pitt is looking solid but I think GT can beat them too.

We're doomed in Chapel Hill because I bought a ticket to the game. Been there 3 times, including 1990, and haven't come away with a W.

Too early to tell for VPI.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You'd think a team with 3 bowl wins in 6 years and had an NFL QB wouldn't be considered "blah" or a "mess", at least not relative to some others in the ACC. But perception takes a while to change and I agree the new coach inherited a mess this year.

I don't necessarily think they are a mess, just blah. I mean, no one gets excited about Syracuse. I'm not convinced even Syracuse fans even get excited about Syracuse. :D

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
We're doomed in Chapel Hill because I bought a ticket to the game. Been there 3 times, including 1990, and haven't come away with a W.

We will take up a collection to give you $1000 for that ticket if GT is 8-0 going into that game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Dude...it's a freaking goat rodeo. There is a MASSIVE debate going on right now on the sabre (Uva's version of gtswarm) about what our actual talent level is.

I'm of the opinion that we're PLENTY talented enough to beat UCONN and not get our stool pushed in by Richmond. The loss to Oregon is whatever, that's fine, but the other two are pretty bad.

I don't know how much you know about Bronco Mendenhall (uva's new coach) but....I don't know, man. He's got a REAL tony robbins/self-help/slogany/rah-rah vibe to him. He's chock full of catch phrases (will before skill, earned not given, do it right or do it again), and that's great if you're producing, but we've looked god awful. We're all expecting to get beat pretty bad by Central Michigan this week, and there are already "bad hire" grumblings among the fan base. It's seriously as dis-spirited as I've ever seen the fanbase.

Not only that, he's recruiting has been utterly mediocre. That's fine if you're GT and run a unique system so that guys that fit your system are going to be undervalued. We are running a completely run of the mill modern spread, and we're recruiting a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.

I personally find Mendenhall super offputting, but I'm hoping he wins, because I'll get over it real quick.

GT is going to hang 40 on us, minimum.

Goodness, I hope you are being facetious, because the last thing we need is for Virginia Tech to take over the state and get every recruit worth getting. Let's have some balance up in the Old Dominion.