ACC Football Discussion Anyone?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Still a bit early but after 3 weeks some things are emerging which are worth discussion.

UVA - 0 and 3?! Man @ilovetheoption, explain please. New coaching staff but sheesh there was supposedly some raw talent there from London's recruiting efforts.

Duke - 1-2 Sorry, I are confused. I was told the Blue Devils were back! Did Mr. Magoo forget that he invented the game of football? Wha happened?

Wake - 3 and 0!? Congrats, Deacs. I guess?

FSU - Got that arse whupped. Was the 1st half at Old (yes, Old) Miss a fluke or was the 2nd half at Old Miss a fluke? That L'ville spankin' suggests it was the latter (did I get that right?).

Clem's son - Yeah, they're 3 and 0 but they haven't played well at all. That AUB victory looks paltry as the weeks, and poor AUB offense, go on. Struggling vs Troy was inexcusable unless they just took the week off to prep for us. Like us vs Vandy, they could be prime for an explosion. It'll be up to us to make sledding difficult for them.

VT - Who are you? No really, who are you? The stumblin' bumblin' mess we saw at Bristol or the apparently well-oiled machine we saw vs BC?

NCSt - Is there a more 'blah' team in any conference than the Wolfpack?

L'ville - Quitrino usually fouls it up somehow. I'm just waiting for the other motorcycle to drop on this season.

MIA - I expected them to go into Boone and leave with an 'L'. Pains me to say, but that was a very mature performance from them. I won't go on as it may lead to me giving praise to the fallen Saint.

I'll let y'all handle the rest. Let's be honest, I only created this thread to chide Duke and UVA.:sneaky:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
UVA - 0 and 3?! Man @ilovetheoption, explain please. New coaching staff but sheesh there was supposedly some raw talent there from London's recruiting efforts.

Dude...it's a freaking goat rodeo. There is a MASSIVE debate going on right now on the sabre (Uva's version of gtswarm) about what our actual talent level is.

I'm of the opinion that we're PLENTY talented enough to beat UCONN and not get our stool pushed in by Richmond. The loss to Oregon is whatever, that's fine, but the other two are pretty bad.

I don't know how much you know about Bronco Mendenhall (uva's new coach) but....I don't know, man. He's got a REAL tony robbins/self-help/slogany/rah-rah vibe to him. He's chock full of catch phrases (will before skill, earned not given, do it right or do it again), and that's great if you're producing, but we've looked god awful. We're all expecting to get beat pretty bad by Central Michigan this week, and there are already "bad hire" grumblings among the fan base. It's seriously as dis-spirited as I've ever seen the fanbase.

Not only that, he's recruiting has been utterly mediocre. That's fine if you're GT and run a unique system so that guys that fit your system are going to be undervalued. We are running a completely run of the mill modern spread, and we're recruiting a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.

I personally find Mendenhall super offputting, but I'm hoping he wins, because I'll get over it real quick.

GT is going to hang 40 on us, minimum.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Bronco is a legitimately high tier coach. However, it's hard to change a culture, harder from the inside out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dude...it's a freaking goat rodeo. There is a MASSIVE debate going on right now on the sabre (Uva's version of gtswarm) about what our actual talent level is.

I'm of the opinion that we're PLENTY talented enough to beat UCONN and not get our stool pushed in by Richmond. The loss to Oregon is whatever, that's fine, but the other two are pretty bad.

I don't know how much you know about Bronco Mendenhall (uva's new coach) but....I don't know, man. He's got a REAL tony robbins/self-help/slogany/rah-rah vibe to him. He's chock full of catch phrases (will before skill, earned not given, do it right or do it again), and that's great if you're producing, but we've looked god awful. We're all expecting to get beat pretty bad by Central Michigan this week, and there are already "bad hire" grumblings among the fan base. It's seriously as dis-spirited as I've ever seen the fanbase.

Not only that, he's recruiting has been utterly mediocre. That's fine if you're GT and run a unique system so that guys that fit your system are going to be undervalued. We are running a completely run of the mill modern spread, and we're recruiting a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.

I personally find Mendenhall super offputting, but I'm hoping he wins, because I'll get over it real quick.

GT is going to hang 40 on us, minimum.

I get growing pains with a new regime but this just looks mutiny-esque so far. I know you're supposed to stay the course but man, like you said, there's enough talent to beat Uconn/Richmond. I freely acknowledge that Richmond is supposedly a pretty good team for their level but still.

@AE 87 I think you're generally right w.r.t. the 'culture change' discussion, but UVA should be above this.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've always thought Bronco was a good coach and thought UVA made a great hire here. Shows how much I know and how hard coming in new can be I guess.

May UVA's bad juju start to rub off on uga. That mizzou game was painful to watch the whole 4th Qtr.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I get growing pains with a new regime but this just looks mutiny-esque so far. I know you're supposed to stay the course but man, like you said, there's enough talent to beat Uconn/Richmond. I freely acknowledge that Richmond is supposedly a pretty good team for their level but still.

@AE 87 I think you're generally right w.r.t. the 'culture change' discussion, but UVA should be above this.

I don't think that's necessarily true for the present team. From my outside perspective, it seems that they've been under-performing their talent-level for the last several years which suggests to me that a troubled locker-room might be part of the problem.

That being said, if Bronco gets a couple years to instill his culture, he'll likely make UVA competitive. It sounds like the fanbase may not give him the time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't think that's necessarily true for the present team. From my outside perspective, it seems that they've been under-performing their talent-level for the last several years which suggests to me that a troubled locker-room might be part of the problem.

That being said, if Bronco gets a couple years to instill his culture, he'll likely make UVA competitive. It sounds like the fanbase may not give him the time.

I think that's a better articulation of my thoughts. I agree they've appeared to under-perform and thereby appear to be manifesting a deeper (locker-room) problem. With that in mind, their early-season performances(sic) make much more sense.

I also agree that, given time, Mendenhall has a pedigree that suggests he could be very successful there. Apologies to Ilove but I'm rooting for chaos there.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Am I the only one yawning at Miami? Their 3-0 feels like our 2-0 last season

I still kinda am, but that win at AppSt was no easy feat. Their other 2 wins mean absolutely nothing. I have no idea why they were ranked after week 1. That's a bogus ranking.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Louisville is about as legit as they come. All the talk about Lamar Jackson but even the defense is playing lights out. They beat Clemson and they should have a cake walk into the ACCCG. I’m calling the Clemson W right now though. I still think Louisville will make the ACCCG because I think FSU will beat Clemson.

VT is interesting. BC only gained 124 totals yards and kept giving VT a short field to work with. VT looked good against TN until their fumblitist kicked in and they aren’t going to fumble 5 times a game like they were. TN probably got lucky they played them early. I think they’re still VT and we can play with them. I’d watch out for them next year.

The team I’m most worried about in our division is Miami. Kaaya can flat out play. Incredibly underated QB and I think we’ll need a 2014 constant death march performance (still one of the greatest offensive performances I’ve seen us have) to win.

UNC has a tough 4 game stretch coming up and could make or break them. I expect them to lose 3 and they could be deflated by the time they play us. They win 3 and I think they’ll be riding high though.

The Wake Forest defense is pretty legit. They’re still Wake on O though. You could very easily be talking about a 6-0 Wake Forest team walking into Tallahassee before utter destruction occurs. I miss the old days of Wake Forest where they would randomly beat FSU every year and nobody knew how. I hope that returns.

Remember when NC St used to be fun to watch as they racked up 200 yards/game in penalties?

Duke blows

UVA is a laughing stock

BC is the same as last year

Maryland oh yea they’re in the Big 10 sucking now

ND gets credit for having a tough schedule every year when they play an ACC schedule and all ACC schedules are weak. WTF is going on here?

Pitt is even more mediocre than we usually are. At least we offer potential to win the conference every now and then.

Does Syracuse play football?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dude's only had three games!

The post you quoted was in response to the question of how having generally older players impacts the Utah schools.

And, yes, he's only had 3 games but they've been pretty epic fails in each one that collectively appear to rise above the typical growth period which is to be expected.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
That's something to consider. Not sure why no one ever talks about that.
Oh, we're talking about it. Believe me, we're talking about it. We're also talking about how you can't just show up at UVa and have an entire religions worth of kids dreaming to play for you. You actually have to go out and convince kids that it's a good fit, and that the other schools that are similar enough (UNC, Duke), or close enough (VT, UMD) are not a better fit, despite having better teams.