ACC Discussion

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We lost an ACC Championship and got 4 years probation because Bay Bay got $312 in clothes from his cousin. Yet, UNC gets nothing for 18 years of academic fraud that not only disproportionately benefited their student athletes, but many of their programs were proven in documents to have systematically sent their athletes to those classes to stay eligible. Unbelievable...but not I guess.

Critics might say, "well, Tech really got punished for its failure to cooperate with the investigation." But isn't that basically what UNC has done for the last 3 1/2 years!?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We lost an ACC Championship and got 4 years probation because Bay Bay got $312 in clothes from his cousin. Yet, UNC gets nothing for 18 years of academic fraud that not only disproportionately benefited their student athletes, but many of their programs were proven in documents to have systematically sent their athletes to those classes to stay eligible. Unbelievable...but not I guess.

Critics might say, "well, Tech really got punished for its failure to cooperate with the investigation." But isn't that basically what UNC has done for the last 3 1/2 years!?

Stop, stahhp! You're making too much sense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

But did BayBay's cousin provide $312 worth of clothes to other students who were not athletes?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Sad, but expected. Time to stop the charade and admit that P5 college athletics is minor league / developmental league for the NBA & NFL.

1. Let the NBA & NFL set a pay scale for athletes and pay them directly.
  2. Kids could choose a school to stay close to home, play for a specific coach, look for playing time opportunities, whatever.
  3. No more sham about college admissions, Prop 48 etc. Kids play on the team but don't go to class unless they want to. They are employed by the NBA / NFL and are simply using the athletic facilities of the university.
  4. Abolish athletic scholarships. Athletes pay tuition, the same as everyone else. (They can use their NBA/NFL money to pay that if they want to.) Athletes could apply for financial aid, subject to same rules & process as all other students. This is how it works in D3 & the Ivies today.
  5. Schools could opt in to the Developmental League or continue to play as a college.
  6. Schools that opt in to the D Leagues would be subsidized / paid for by the NBA & NFL directly. Funded by TV rights and shoe / apparel contracts (see below)
  7. ESPN / CBS etc would contract with the NBA & NFL and the schools would receive no direct money for TV or tourneys.
  8. Apparel / shoe contracts would be signed with the NBA & NFL. No direct money to schools.
  9. Athletic fundraising "foundations" would be dissolved and /or lose their 501c3 status. No more "donations" tied to athletics or tickets. treat tickets to Developmental League teams in the same manner as NFL, NBA or MLB tickets. After tax, priced at fair market with or without PSLs

Never thought I would see the day, but college sports as we knew it is dead. Sonny Vaccaro, Phil Knight & John Skipper started the process and now it's complete

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I like your proposals @mstranahan but there's one huge problem. Why would the leagues pay for something they've gotten for free for 50 years?

These are NCAA problems, not NBA or NFL problems. As far as they're concerned, things are going fine. No need to change.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
tell the FBI to handle this nonsense too since the NCAA is worthless. Academic fraud at a public university... burn it down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If anyone should be pissed, like REALLY pissed, it's the members of the ACC. They're the ones that were directly affected from UNC being able to cheat for the past however many years. ACC members need to demand from the league that UNC gets punished somehow. NCAA be damned.

NEVER gonna happen since the ACC is basically ran by the North Carolina mafia, but if the member schools outside of NC bow up and demand appropriate action, or else...that gives the ACC an ultimatum. Rules are in place so all member schools compete on the same level. What happened with UNC if a f'ing sham of the highest order. I'm not quite sure how other member schools are not outraged at this moment. UNC flat out admitted to cheating, their coaches admitteed to cheating, and their atheletes admitted to cheating. That's a slap in the face of every school in the ACC not named Louisville and UNC.

F'ing pathetic.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If anyone should be pissed, like REALLY pissed, it's the members of the ACC. They're the ones that were directly affected from UNC being able to cheat for the past however many years. ACC members need to demand from the league that UNC gets punished somehow. NCAA be damned.

NEVER gonna happen since the ACC is basically ran by the North Carolina mafia, but if the member schools outside of NC bow up and demand appropriate action, or else...that gives the ACC an ultimatum. Rules are in place so all member schools compete on the same level. What happened with UNC if a f'ing sham of the highest order. I'm not quite sure how other member schools are not outraged at this moment. UNC flat out admitted to cheating, their coaches admitteed to cheating, and their atheletes admitted to cheating. That's a slap in the face of every school in the ACC not named Louisville and UNC.

F'ing pathetic.

I would be totally ok if GT left the ACC over this.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I like your proposals @mstranahan but there's one huge problem. Why would the leagues pay for something they've gotten for free for 50 years?

These are NCAA problems, not NBA or NFL problems. As far as they're concerned, things are going fine. No need to change.

Agree. I don't think this will happen in my lifetime, but college sports needs a tectonic shift. Radical overhaul. Call it whatever they want to, but the myth of the amateur student athlete is over and they need to acknowledge it and move forward in a different mode

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They snuck this ruling in right after which is equally egregious

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....by-ncaa-ruled-ineligible-in-transfer-dispute/

Man, I bet PackPride is off the chain today. I'm almost a-feared to look.

Agree. I don't think this will happen in my lifetime, but college sports needs a tectonic shift. Radical overhaul. Call it whatever they want to, but the myth of the amateur student athlete is over and they need to acknowledge it and move forward in a different mode

Totally agree. Mayhaps the FBI stuff along with this travesty will be seismic (see what I did there? ;)) enough to force real change.