ACC Discussion

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@orientalnc you nailed it. Ever since the N&O broke the story of the academic fraud at UNC about 8 years ago, that's been the big focus for the WuffPack. Their hatred for all things Chapel Hill is hard to grasp unless you live in the area. Most NCSU fans I know would glad go 0-12 (football) and 0-30 (hoops) for several years in exchange for UNCheat getting the penalties they deserve.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
@orientalnc you nailed it. Ever since the N&O broke the story of the academic fraud at UNC about 8 years ago, that's been the big focus for the WuffPack. Their hatred for all things Chapel Hill is hard to grasp unless you live in the area. Most NCSU fans I know would glad go 0-12 (football) and 0-30 (hoops) for several years in exchange for UNCheat getting the penalties they deserve.
That's not much of a trade since their actual record is not that far off each year.... :D

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other thing to keep in mind when you think coaches are going to be fired. Who hired them. The NCST AD hired Gott, she will not be in a rush to fire him.
I think he has at least 2 yrs given he has taken them to the NCAA in 4 of his first 4 seasons.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One other thing to keep in mind when you think coaches are going to be fired. Who hired them. The NCST AD hired Gott, she will not be in a rush to fire him.
I think he has at least 2 yrs given he has taken them to the NCAA in 4 of his first 4 seasons.

She also supported and funded the changes in the coaching staff. Lutz is funded through the athletic association instead of just fired, etc. You don't do that if you think the head guy is the immediate problem. He also has a $2.5 M per year contract through 2020. Don't know the exact buyout (dollar for dollar) but it ain't cheap. Chairman Yao is committed at this point. 2 years sounds about right

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just speculation on my part but I am going to be curious to see how many underclassmen stay in the draft after the NBA evaluation process is completed. Logically you would think they get more and better information so they don't stay if they are a second round this year on the way to a potential first round next year - but there is also the potential that some of them feel so invested in the process that they stay this year even knowing they are a likely second round pick - or worse. I have seen some speculation on this and it is the disaster scenario from college coaches who would lose their top player(s) and not even have them be first round picks.

I am curious to see how this plays out overall and for the ACC in particular.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm stealing this from the Syracuse board (here) because Justin Jackson's return continues this weird trend of UNC returning McD guys at a mind-blowing rate. Why does it seem their players return more often to the detriment of future draft prospects? It's probably perception playing a role, yet there's no question they get McD's 5 stars in droves with a recent draft history that has them at a Syracuse level of success.
Syracuse: 12 players drafted since 2008, 4 lottery picks, 9 left early - 3 freshman, 5 sophomores, 1 junior
Kansas: 18 players drafted since 2008, 10 lottery picks, 15 left early - 6 freshman, 6 juniors, 1 sophomore
MSU: 5 players drafted since 2008, 1 lottery pick, 1 player left early - 1 sophomore
UNC: 12 players drafted since 2008, 5 lottery picks, 9 players left early - 5 juniors, 4 sophomores
Duke: 14 players drafted since 2008, 6 lottery picks, 9 players left early - 6 freshman, 2 sophomores, 1 junior
UK: 27 players drafted since 2008. 'nuff said
Arizona: 10 players drafted since 2008, 5 lottery picks, 9 players left early - 4 freshman, 2 sophomores, 3 juniors
UConn: 10 players drafted since 2008, 4 lottery picks, 6 left early - 2 sophomores, 3 juinors, 1 freshman

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm stealing this from the Syracuse board (here) because Justin Jackson's return continues this weird trend of UNC returning McD guys at a mind-blowing rate. Why does it seem their players return more often to the detriment of future draft prospects? It's probably perception playing a role, yet there's no question they get McD's 5 stars in droves with a recent draft history that has them at a Syracuse level of success.

C'mon, Cuse. You know they don't wanna take that paycut. It's not like they're worried about class or anything ...

supa-hot-fire.gif

Sorry, had to be done. Low-hanging fruit and all.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In spite of all the negative publicity, Chapel Hill is a great place to spend your college years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would agree it is a fun school and really is a party school that thinks very highly of itself. Just go to town on a weeknight and visit the bars. Lots of students. Recent DWI 20 year old killed 3 people going the wrong way on I-85 and was being served in town bars. I have lived in CH since I got out of GT (BEE and MSEE) in 1974. My oldest son graduated from there. He would have never made it at GT if he had played like he did at UNC. I have very little respect for their high opinion of themselves, and I suspected something like the AFAM debacle before it was uncovered. They glorify their athletes here like nothing I have ever seen. They have looked the other way at a lot of misbehaving athletes around here for a long, long time. NCSU has had its own problems over the years too, so they shouldn't throw too many stones either.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Hodge was playing there for about 9 years wasn't he? Some sort of loophole on eligibility they exploited for him.

Yeah, it seemed that way because his NBA career(sic) was so short and he was back hanging around Raleigh pretty soon (or so it seemed).

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Ol Roy had that same uncanny ability when he was at Kansas. He gets in 5 star recruits and then coaches them to wildly underperform expectations for three or four years before going on to mediocre careers in the league (or D league). Marcus Paige would've been a late lottery pick after his sophomore year. Now? Late second round to undrafted. Tyler Hansbrough? Last NBA sighting was at the end of a bench staring blankly into space. J M McAdoo? Who? This year it's Kennedy Meeks, Justin Jackson, Joel Berry.... All top 25 recruits / McD A-A coming out of HS who have turned into run on the mill players at UNCheat

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it seemed that way because his NBA career(sic) was so short and he was back hanging around Raleigh pretty soon (or so it seemed).
For me, if some player tears up GT and it goes on year after year as part of a home and away series each game feels like a year, so 8 games feel like 8 years. Hodge was one of those guys who seemed to always have a great game against Tech and put his team on his back that day. He drove me nuts.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Roy usually has an embarrassment of riches and everyone has to play so you have 7-8 guys getting 15-25 mins and they are all very good. You won't have them be standouts unless you have a superior talent (Barnes)

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Remember "Black Falcon" Barnes was #1 recruit in America and was mediocre (at best) as a frosh. Not a matter of too many players, he just wasn't very good. He blossomed later and has really found a great niche being a role player with Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.