ACC Discussion

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are there indications that he's unhappy with the admins or something? Very strange. If I were an AD, it'd raise my eyebrow. I'd want the full story before I hire him after making a move like that.

ETA: Found this perusing the NCState site

Rumors are Lutz is gone to GT.

http://www.forum.packinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?882-Dooley

Just some rando so I wouldn't run with that "rumor". Just found it moderately interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lutz moving.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bobby Lutz would be an INCREDIBLE Xs & Os hire. Former HC at Charlotte where he had a solid record & current Associate HC at NC State.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bobby Lutz would be an INCREDIBLE Xs & Os hire. Former HC at Charlotte where he had a solid record & current Associate HC at NC State.

I know. That'd be too good to be true. I'm actually surprised he hasn't gotten any looks as a head man since his Charlotte days.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know. That'd be too good to be true. I'm actually surprised he hasn't gotten any looks as a head man since his Charlotte days.
Once Charlotte moved from C-USA to the A-10 things went downhill. I think he hit his plateau and his stock has faded in value. Good game coach, but could not get quality players often enough.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Once Charlotte moved from C-USA to the A-10 things went downhill. I think he hit his plateau and his stock has faded in value. Good game coach, but could not get quality players often enough.

Sounds like a good asst. hire (if this "rumor" is true).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Man, this dude was a 5-star coming out of HS. Got "developed" into just being a body out there.

I know K's job is to win games and he's great and all, but dang at least try to help the guy work towards being a pro. After 5-6 years they just made him a screen-body. Sheesh, you got walk-ons for that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gottfried gotta be a dead man walking. Abu didn't get an invite to the NBA combine.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NC State fans have a wildly overinflated sense of their hoops program's standing. Like a 1000x what we think of our program.

Someone there will throw gobs of money there to make it work if they have to. Also, we have no idea if his buyout isn't a dollar for dollar match unlike some schools that sign poor contracts.

They're probably already convinced Archie Miller is their coach by the 17/18 season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
that is more money than i think Chairman Yao is willing to write off. She is also supporting the restart of the coaching staff with money and finding a slot for Lutz. don't see her jettisoning him after this year. That would be a Hewitt level buyout plus some.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
that is more money than i think Chairman Yao is willing to write off. She is also supporting the restart of the coaching staff with money and finding a slot for Lutz. don't see her jettisoning him after this year. That would be a Hewitt level buyout plus some.

I'm so confident that this is his last year I think I'd wager money on it.

ETA: The last time I felt this confident about something that seemed unlikely was when I told my buddies that Petrino would last 1 year as Failcons coach.

You better put some respeck on my name, YlJ. :cool:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually I would put the pre game beer for the NCSU game on whether he gets fired next year or not. :p

FWIW it is my perspective that GT folks are a lot more up in arms about NCSU stuff than the NCSU fans/donors I know. I can paint a pretty sleezy picture of Gottfried without much trouble - and I have some pretty good local sources whose stories I won't even quote about that. But end of the day the guy has actually done pretty well so far and IMHO has 2 years minimum before he would get wacked. That is on a BB level as Chairman Yao doesn't seem to care about the sleezy stuff. At least so far.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually I would put the pre game beer for the NCSU game on whether he gets fired next year or not. :p

FWIW it is my perspective that GT folks are a lot more up in arms about NCSU stuff than the NCSU fans/donors I know. I can paint a pretty sleezy picture of Gottfried without much trouble - and I have some pretty good local sources whose stories I won't even quote about that. But end of the day the guy has actually done pretty well so far and IMHO has 2 years minimum before he would get wacked. That is on a BB level as Chairman Yao doesn't seem to care about the sleezy stuff. At least so far.
It's interesting to live in NC and not pull for any of the teams. It is my impression the NCSU fans are more up in arms about the lenient NCAA findings at UNC than almost anything right now. The defections off this year's team have melted them into the background quite a bit. My neighbor is a grad of USCe and NCSU. The other day I asked him what he thought about all the transfers etc, and he said, "I'm a Gamecock fan." This after the dismal way their season ended. So you can get the drift of the NCSU mood from that.