ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ORANGE is definately the WRONG shade of GOLD.

The palate cleanser is when neither GT nor Cuse is at issue.

Can any sincere Tech Basketball fan mention Grayson Allen in parallel to Josh Okogie? The Jacket faithful cry, "No!"

Now, consider this:

What was the purpose of this post? To defend Cuse against the hyperbolic suggestion that a few weeks ago an argument could have been made that GT was looking like more of a tourney team than Cuse as part of a qualifier against RPI?

Can't we just agree that someone who cites a Duke slimeball positively and gets defensive AGAINST even a hyperbolic hypothetical in favor of GT is not really a GT basketball fan?

... But, seriously, I thank him for his football coverage.
giphy.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pea, i would personally have the order you do. FSU, ND, Syracuse, L'ville.

I think FSU is safe. ultimately they have to have 68 teams and you start looking behind them and it becomes hard to find enough teams that could replace them.

The other three need wins in the ACC Tourney. ND should get a tuneup against Pitt and then would have a must win against VT. I think all three would need to win at least 1 game against a likely NCAA Tourney team in the ACC Tourney to get a bid.
L'ville if they had beaten UVA likely would have been on the right side of the bubble.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, my man AE might be onto something.:sneaky:

... #BanCuseJ
Ya know, the post in question certainly wasn't my best work of art. Inner self is reprimanding me, "economy of words... economy of words!!!"

For that I will apologize to those who deserve an apology.

@bwelbo, I apologize. I should have simply said "you're wrong and irrational" and left it at that :angelic:

@AE 87, I apologize for... I dunno.... I will offer that it is fascinating that no one is talking about how much $$$ Grayson Allen left on the table by staying at Duke for 4 years. This is a guy who went from alpha and team leader to someone his head coach needs to publicize as "important" and a "team leader". Although, when he does move on, the NBA might be a pay cut... Am I doing this right?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hypothetical conversation:

NBA to NCAA: We are willing to allow high school kids to come into the league if they are drafted, but not as undrafted free agents. You need to allow the undrafted kids to play their freshman season.

NCAA: Whoa! That won't solve our one & done problem. But it will rob us of the marquee players we get in the current malfeasance of a system. You need to do better than that. We are considering exclusive non-compete clauses in the grant contracts that extend for five years.

NBA: OK, what if we allow high school kids to come into the league if they are drafted, but they are not eligible for the draft again until after their 21st birthday. That should give you three years of their slave labor.

NCAA: We are OK with that if you maintain only two rounds in the draft.

NBA: That's fine with us. The second round picks ain't logging much PT as it is. We are tired of paying 18 year-olds to sit on the bench for two or three seasons.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is from a friend who is NOT a UNC fan:

"This is the time of year on the sports calendar when the NCAA earns its keep. I believe that the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament is the single best sporting event of the year; staging that event is the only thing that the NCAA does that is laudable; once the tournament gets going, I will have to forego any criticism or mocker of the NCAA until it is over – – unless of course they outdo themselves with outrageousness. However, in the past couple of weeks, the NCAA demonstrated its fecklessness. It stripped Louisville of its 2013 National Championship and ordered it to “vacate” 123 wins over several seasons.

In case you have forgotten, Louisville beat Michigan in the final game in that tournament. So, with Louisville’s title vacated one of two situations obtains:

1. The losing team – Michigan – is declared the National Champion. That is the sort of thing that only seems logical in professional ‘rassling…
  2. There was no National Champion that year – meaning that the 67 games played in the tournament that year all meant nothing.
The foundation of the NCAA action here was the sex scandal surrounding players and recruits when an assistant coach was accused of hiring strippers and prostitutes to “entertain” the players and potential recruits. While that is sleazy enough to get you to think that the folks at Louisville deserve a public spanking, please consider this for a moment:

• North Carolina kept players eligible for NCAA events by having them take sham courses to keep their grades up. North Carolina was not punished for that because the school allowed anyone on campus to take the same courses – meaning that the “student-athletes” were not receiving any benefit not available to the student body at large.
So, here is the question for the NCAA:

• If that assistant coach had “opened up” these strip sessions and these prostitute visits to other members of the Louisville student body, would that have made all of this just a “local anomaly” that the school can deal with in whatever way it sees fit?"

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Random didnt know where to put this but just read Steve Francis’ story in the player tribune. Good read, but man when I was little I ****ing loved Stevie Franchise. I was a little bit of a Maryland fan when I was little just bc Steve. My favorite number has always been 3 bc Steve and A.I. And i also loved Mateen Cleaves but thats a dif story. But Steve was a beast and pretty sure they won a national championship, but maybe that was Juan Dixons team, loved Juan too. I had the ncaa march madness basketball game for playstation 1 with Steve on the cover. He killed it in Houstsn for a while with Yao too. But that story took me back to my Steve Francis fandom days. Crazy story i didnt no all he went through to get to the league. Dude was a absolute beast though.