ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, K said after the Ind game that the starters needed to learn how to play and he planned to let them. He did not plan on using his bench more.

Most of KY's players will leave for the NBA after this season, that is what they do. I doubt more than 1 or 2 of their FR return for their SO years.

Hopefully the NBA can get moving on rescinding the one an done rule and we can be over this farce. Silver has suggested it is becoming a high priority to change that rule.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
FWIW, K said after the Ind game that the starters needed to learn how to play and he planned to let them. He did not plan on using his bench more.

Most of KY's players will leave for the NBA after this season, that is what they do. I doubt more than 1 or 2 of their FR return for their SO years.

Hopefully the NBA can get moving on rescinding the one an done rule and we can be over this farce. Silver has suggested it is becoming a high priority to change that rule.

I'm so looking forward to the 1-and-done rule being rescinded. Whatever they come up with will force cbb to actually be cbb. There will be a talent dip but I think the game overall will be better for it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Referee Ted Valentine considering retirement after incident with UNC's Joel Berry
"I'm thinking about retiring," Valentine said in an interview with The Athletic. "I've had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I've had a stellar career, and I think it's time to get ready to walk away."
Valentine was removed from two Big Ten games he was supposed to work, and when given the option to work Georgia Tech's home game against Yale on Saturday, he declined.

Here's a clip

Something tells me TV Teddy expects an outpouring of support e.g., "please don't leave us!!".

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other note about Duke. Three of their big 4 FR are not overly strong FT shooters. Bagley, Duval and Carter are all sub 70% FT shooters. Allen and Trent JR are really good FT shooters.

Allen is a really good 3-pt shooter. Trent is solid, Bagley OK, everyone else is subpar from 3 - Duval is downright pitiful from 3.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's the latest College Sports Madness Men's NCAA Tournament Bracketology. They have 9 ACC teams in the NCAA Tournament(#1 Virginia,#11 Syracuse,#9 Clemson,#3 North Carolina,#5 Florida State,#9 Louisville,#2 Duke,#4 Miami and #6 Notre Dame)and 7 SEC teams in the NCAA Tournament(#8 Florida,#2 Kentucky,#2 Auburn,#5 Texas A&M,#11 Missouri,#9 Arkansas and #7 Tennessee)

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/bracketology

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe it will change under Keatts, but State has had great recruiting classes before. Something seems to happen after they arrive in Raleigh. The team frequently disappoints their fans. When I moved to NC Les Robinson was beginning to feel the heat. He was followed, in succession, by Herb Sendeck, Sidney Lowe, and Mark Gottfried. All were considered great recruiters. In fact, I do not think "great recruiter" was on Keatts' resume.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe it will change under Keatts, but State has had great recruiting classes before. Something seems to happen after they arrive in Raleigh. The team frequently disappoints their fans. When I moved to NC Les Robinson was beginning to feel the heat. He was followed, in succession, by Herb Sendeck, Sidney Lowe, and Mark Gottfried. All were considered great recruiters. In fact, I do not think "great recruiter" was on Keatts' resume.

NCSt basketball compares to uGA football in that regard. Always have talent, results don't seem to consistently match this perceived talent level.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Keats is a different animal than Gottfried. Certainly than Mr. Lowe. He built his recruiting bona fides at Louisville and Hargrave - and his coaching was way above average at UNCW. The major question is whether his AAU full court press approach will work in a guard dominated ACC. I wanted us to look at him when when we got rid of CBG with the caveat that I didn't know if he would be able to do his style of recruiting with GT limitations - he has very few at NCSU.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Keats is a different animal than Gottfried. Certainly than Mr. Lowe. He built his recruiting bona fides at Louisville and Hargrave - and his coaching was way above average at UNCW. The major question is whether his AAU full court press approach will work in a guard dominated ACC. I wanted us to look at him when when we got rid of CBG with the caveat that I didn't know if he would be able to do his style of recruiting with GT limitations - he has very few at NCSU.

So IOW, he's shady as heyul? Therefore not much different than Lowe and Gottfired.

Agree he'll have to have plan B and C to all that press stuff.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was a slow ACC basketball night, but I decided to watch the NC State-Clemson game. It was an ugly game. Clemson turned the ball over 17 times and Gabe DeVoe missed a FT with 0.2 on the clock that would have tied the score and forced OT. That and Omar Yurtseven had a career night. They have beaten Duke and Clemson in a row after losing to ND by 30. Now they play UVA on Sunday. I do not think they will win, but who would have picked them to win even one of those three games?