ACC Discussion 2022

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I thought the clock should have run out under normal play when his knee went down at the two but iiwii.
And they reviewed it for about 10 minutes too, still screwed it up. They wouldn't have reset the chains that slowly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Man they really tried to screw FSU out of that win.
Speaking of the Criminals, early in the game they showed the FSU O from behind. Their OL had the biggest collection of butts I have ever seen. Then they showed them close up at the line. Dang near the biggest guts I've seen as well.

I suppose if all you have to do is sit there and go all Sherm Plunkett on the D that's all you need. On Plunkett: A reporter asked a DL what it was like trying to get around him. "It's like punching a gigantic chocolate pudding," he replied.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t.
Why not roll your QB out and tell him to try and run it in if not open. A FG is makeable from the six as it is the three. They have to burn another TO. You don’t risk a fumble.
I thought fake the handoff to the TB and then run it to right . They were stacking for an inside run. Bet they don't try that pitch inside the five again this year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought the clock should have run out under normal play when his knee went down at the two but iiwii.
This.. 100%.

LSU receiver was down in bounds. Official ruled him out and stopped the clock with 1 second. FSU CHALLENGES (I don’t think FSU had challenged previously, so it a challenge, not a time out: this is critical). Replay confirms receiver was in bounds, clock should run. Somehow, the officials decide the challenge was right, no time out should be charged to FSU and receiver is in bounds so clock should run....BUT the clock starts on snap????
Clock should have started in ready for play, meaning LSU has to snap immediately.
Did someone catch that FSU called a TO instead of a challenge?? If this was a challenge or a booth review, LSU should’ve had 1 second to snap on ready for play. That didn’t happen... Officials started clock on the snap.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
They made it up on the fly. I refuse to believe that player being ruled inbounds permits a start on the snap. If the ref correctly ruled him down inbounds the game was over, but lsu after proven being inbounds was allowed to start the clock on the snap, as if they went OOB.
Home cooking from the booth, and had that been Old gold instead of yellow, that clock would start on ball ready, guaranteed

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just remember thinking after the 2nd muffed punt. Take 3 knees, force them to use the OT's and kick a field goal. You have a 2 possession lead and they have no TO's.

Also, great use of the prevent the win defense. Their defense had dominated LSU's O for most of the game and rather than continue they went to the send 3, drop 8 and let the offense go 10 yds a play.

All that said. Beating FSU in Tallahassee is going to be a giant task for GT. After week 1 I would probably rank that game as the third most difficult on our schedule after UGA and Clemson. Their offense is going to score points against our D and i'm not sure our O will score many points against their D. Travis looked really good and given how much trouble LSU had getting to him at times I don't see our D getting close to him very often.

Amazing though they got 2 fumbles off of punts in the red zone and got 0 points out of them due to poor coaching. Of course they also blocked both a FG and XP - and both were the exact same play. Split the left side of the LSU line and got a clean look.

Having watched their 2st 2 games FSU definitely looks the best it has probably looked in 5 years. Will be interesting to see if they enter the Top 25 this week.

Texas_Wreck53

Georgia Tech Fan
But it was a first down, had it been ruled down in bounds they would have been able to get a play off with the first down stopping the clock right? Any way congrats to the FSU band for trolling LSU by playing Neck after the block. They are the real winners

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I just remember thinking after the 2nd muffed punt. Take 3 knees, force them to use the OT's and kick a field goal. You have a 2 possession lead and they have no TO's.

Also, great use of the prevent the win defense. Their defense had dominated LSU's O for most of the game and rather than continue they went to the send 3, drop 8 and let the offense go 10 yds a play.

All that said. Beating FSU in Tallahassee is going to be a giant task for GT. After week 1 I would probably rank that game as the third most difficult on our schedule after UGA and Clemson. Their offense is going to score points against our D and i'm not sure our O will score many points against their D. Travis looked really good and given how much trouble LSU had getting to him at times I don't see our D getting close to him very often.

Amazing though they got 2 fumbles off of punts in the red zone and got 0 points out of them due to poor coaching. Of course they also blocked both a FG and XP - and both were the exact same play. Split the left side of the LSU line and got a clean look.
Agree on all, but maybe LSU isn’t very good. FSU is always talented, and Travis will be a handful.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
But it was a first down, had it been ruled down in bounds they would have been able to get a play off with the first down stopping the clock right? Any way congrats to the FSU band for trolling LSU by playing Neck after the block. They are the real winners
No, first down stops the clock only until ball is set and official blows ready for play... unless that changes based on time left, which I don’t think is the case... but there are so many damned rule changes I couldn’t confirm.
In this scenario, the ONLY way the clock starts on snap is if FSU used a time out and the booth overruled the field during time out. But I thought FSU called the time out in order to challenge, so clock should’ve started.

Texas_Wreck53

Georgia Tech Fan
No, first down stops the clock only until ball is set and official blows ready for play... unless that changes based on time left, which I don’t think is the case... but there are so many damned rule changes I couldn’t confirm.
I mean that’s the rule I was referring to. 2 seconds is enough to hike the ball. Would they have scored? Who knows because they wouldn’t have had time to spike, but they wouldn’t have had 15 mins to plan with FSU challenging for a review, that in the end didn’t help them get a 10 second run off. Plus a win on a technicality is much less satisfying than blocking a PAT.

Let the boys play.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I mean that’s the rule I was referring to. 2 seconds is enough to hike the ball. Would they have scored? Who knows because they wouldn’t have had time to spike, but they wouldn’t have had 15 mins to plan with FSU challenging for a review, that in the end didn’t help them get a 10 second run off. Plus a win on a technicality is much less satisfying than blocking a PAT.

Let the boys play.
Ultimately, you’re right. Justice was served, regardless... but the officials ought to have the clock right. LSU Absolutely had time to snap with 1 second left, much less 2, but they NEVER would’ve been set in time to snap without the review. On top of that, I don’t think they started the clock on ready for play, so LSU had time to manage the snap count.
Two things could’ve happened;
If the call was right, the runner is down in bounds, clock runs and LSU would’ve never gotten set to snap before time expired.
Call on field is wrong and the replay is right, they would’ve ruled the runner down in bounds with 1 second (maybe 2) and clock starts on ready for play.
Officials chose option C: let LSU have a free play whenever they’re ready.
There is a chance I missed an earlier FSU challenge and they just called a time out hoping the booth would review. If that happened, set me straight.