ACC Discussion 2022

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
No, the defenders had nothing to do with the dropped pitch. There’s literally no point in tossing the ball on the goal line at that point in the game. Reward isn’t worth the risk when you can get the reward by handing it off.
Oh I agree, the pitch is dum when you could literally take a knee and probably end the game. I was saying if you're going to toss it, then a toss to the outside is at least away from the entire defense and you would have a better chance at jumping on the fumble.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree, the pitch is dum when you could literally take a knee and probably end the game. I was saying if you're going to toss it, then a toss to the outside is at least away from the entire defense and you would have a better chance at jumping on the fumble.
Agree completely. “Vertical” pitch is always dumb in my opinion. Why throw it at a guy running at you? As you say.... Pitch to get outside the tackles, OK.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IMO Clemson is overrated right now...probably somewhere 10-20 would be a good ranking. However they could easily be a top 5 team by the end of the year if they find their offensive groove.

A little concerned about FSU game now. Their D-line looks like their strength and may overwhelm our OL. Guys gotta grow up quick.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Early returns indicate FSU and Clemson are ahead of the pack. Unless Clemson improves their offense, the playoffs are a pipe dream.
Although it is early, ACC has 2nd most ranked teams of P5 conferences. FSU may be ranked too eventually. NCSU and PITT will have to clean some stuff up if they want to stay ranked.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO Clemson is overrated right now...probably somewhere 10-20 would be a good ranking. However they could easily be a top 5 team by the end of the year if they find their offensive groove.

A little concerned about FSU game now. Their D-line looks like their strength and may overwhelm our OL. Guys gotta grow up quick.
I agree. After watching 2 games, I think FSU's defense is going to cause our O all sorts of troubles. Their front 4 have the potential to do very similar things to what Clemson's DL did.
The biggest difference I saw was that their OL looks alot better than Clemson's. LSU had no sacks on Sunday, and Travis looks like a considerably better QB than DJ. That game, as a road game, has the potential to be sort of ugly for us.
After watching alot of games I have FSU as the third most difficult game on our schedule after UGA And Clemson.

Ole Miss in less than 2 weeks is going to be interesting. They got out to a big lead - 21-0 five minutes into the 2nd quarter and 28-3 five min into the third, and then just played really sloppy the rest of the way (mostly on offense) and let Troy sort of just hang there. They actually ran the ball so effectively they didn't have to pass much against Troy. Defensively they were really good, especially the first 3 quarters. Troy was basically unable to run against them - 89 yds for the game. I'm not sure they have the offense this year to put a huge number on us, but i'm not convinced we will be able to score alot on them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Although it is early, ACC has 2nd most ranked teams of P5 conferences. FSU may be ranked too eventually. NCSU and PITT will have to clean some stuff up if they want to stay ranked.
I was a little surprised they didn't get into the Top 25 this week but if they take care of business the next couple of weeks they should get there.
They are at L'ville this Friday and then at home vs BC the following week, If they don't blow either of those games then they have the three game stretch that will define their season:
Wake (who has won the last 2 games against FSU and generally plays them tough), @NC ST and home against Clemson. After those 3 games they get a week off before playing GT.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm afraid the disparity is only going to get worse. College football is changing faster than people realize. I just hope that it is recognizable in 5 years
I know we are mostly joking here but I notice it's common to compare ourselves to uga and clemson regarding finances, talent, etc.. and then somehow extrapolate that out to our entire schedule. Seem to me us being 'competitive' would mean competing with upper middle tier ACC teams like UNC, VT, UVA, Pitt, NC State.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

If FSU and clempson played today FSU would win. No doubt about that.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm afraid the disparity is only going to get worse. College football is changing faster than people realize. I just hope that it is recognizable in 5 years
Folks who think this way are just following what the media is feeding you. And you are eating it up. The disparity has been here for decades. And no, college football is not changing. It’s still certain teams buying the better players and players still transferring (see Herschel form 1980 as being bought and for reference Choice transferring to GT in 2005).

And yes, it will be recognizable in 5 years. Except now instead of watching craptastic bowl games in December we’ll get to see playoff games between legit teams being played in packed stadiums. I’m sorry that the days of the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Belk Bowl or the Meineke Bowl are coming to an end. I know those Wednesday night bowl games in stadiums with 7,000 fans watching a 7-5 team take on a 6-6 team are awfully exciting and I hate they’ll be missed. I know watching a bunch of ranked teams in December and January play each other will be tough to watch but something tells me the fans will watch.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Folks who think this way are just following what the media is feeding you. And you are eating it up. The disparity has been here for decades. And no, college football is not changing. It’s still certain teams buying the better players and players still transferring (see Herschel form 1980 as being bought and for reference Choice transferring to GT in 2005).

And yes, it will be recognizable in 5 years. Except now instead of watching craptastic bowl games in December we’ll get to see playoff games between legit teams being played in packed stadiums. I’m sorry that the days of the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Belk Bowl or the Meineke Bowl are coming to an end. I know those Wednesday night bowl games in stadiums with 7,000 fans watching a 7-5 team take on a 6-6 team are awfully exciting and I hate they’ll be missed. I know watching a bunch of ranked teams in December and January play each other will be tough to watch but something tells me the fans will watch.
The disparity that I was referring to is between the elite teams and the next teir down. To a certain degree, it has always existed as you alluded to, but we are seeing it concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. The number of teams that can win a national title in a given year are 4-5 teams. In the past, that number has typically flucuated in the 6-11 team range, especially in the BCS era where one slip up could result in one of those teams falling out of title contention allowing others to step into the void.

The bowl season has been a joke for quite some time. No way in heck I am defending that in anyway.

The landscape of college football changing is more related to how recruiting occurs (blatantly paying vs. doing it through certain avenues), the shuffling of teams into different conferences, and the percieved lack of importance for regular season games due to the expanded playoff. Ohio State has never been ranked lower than 12 at the end of the regular season. Teams like that (Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Southern Cal if they get their stuff together, even Notre Dame) can shrug their shoulders at their first loss in the regular season. Would Auburn's kick six mean as much if National Title implications weren't on the line?

I am excited at the hype of an expanded playoff but we de facto have that with the importance of regular season games as the format currently stands

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The disparity that I was referring to is between the elite teams and the next teir down. To a certain degree, it has always existed as you alluded to, but we are seeing it concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. The number of teams that can win a national title in a given year are 4-5 teams. In the past, that number has typically flucuated in the 6-11 team range, especially in the BCS era where one slip up could result in one of those teams falling out of title contention allowing others to step into the void.

The bowl season has been a joke for quite some time. No way in heck I am defending that in anyway.

The landscape of college football changing is more related to how recruiting occurs (blatantly paying vs. doing it through certain avenues), the shuffling of teams into different conferences, and the percieved lack of importance for regular season games due to the expanded playoff. Ohio State has never been ranked lower than 12 at the end of the regular season. Teams like that (Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Southern Cal if they get their stuff together, even Notre Dame) can shrug their shoulders at their first loss in the regular season. Would Auburn's kick six mean as much if National Title implications weren't on the line?

I am excited at the hype of an expanded playoff but we de facto have that with the importance of regular season games as the format currently stands
Sounds like we agree. I just can’t believe so many smart fans believe all the garbage the media puts out there about how bad NIL and the transfer rules are. They aren’t bad at all. I love the concept of NIL because it now opens up the door to pay players to every school and not just those who were protected by the NCAA. GT can now go out and legally buy a player without worry of getting placed on probation. Bama and UGA have been able to do that for decades so NIL takes away the disparity of treatment by the NCAA which in my view is the greatest crime of the 20th century. You will absolutely see schools emerge in the future who are willing to pay and will enter the top tier that no one would expect. Obviously, GT won’t be one since it’s clear our admin doesn’t care enough to twist arms and make it happen. But I can see several deep money schools deciding to try it out. If Jackson State can buy the top player from high school imagine what real money could buy. I’m not naming any schools but there are a lot of rich folks out there.

Regarding a playoff, sure the regular season games won’t be death sentences for certain teams like they are now, but to me that was one of the major flaws of college football in the 20th century and still today. Again, it’s always about disparate treatment. For schools like GT if we lose 1 game even if it was on Aug. 30 by a last second field goal we were done. Period. No chance. Heck, we were 1 vote away from being denied everything in 1990 all because we tied a conference game. Yet Colorado who was in the “club” those days wasnt treated that way. UCF goes undefeated as has BYU in the past and they were glossed over. Let me ask you this, even today with a 4 team playoff - GT and LSU both sit at 0-1 and looked ugly doing it. If both teams go undefeated the rest of the way who do you think would get in and who do you think would get left out? We all know LSU would be the SEC champ and they’d be in. Bama would get in even with a regular season loss to LSU and no SECCG. UGA would be mocked for losing to GT. And the media would laugh at Clemson and the ACC as being a joke even though we’d be 11-1 and just beat UGA and Clemson back to back. We wouldn’t get in.

So to me the expanded playoffs will benefit the little guy way more than the top tier because the top tier is already eating steak every year. The little guy will now have a chance to show themselves on the field of play. Sure, there will be lopsided games like in any sports tournaments. But you’ll also have the future kick 6’s that will occur. It’s gonna be a blast. Just remember me when the year comes and GT goes 10-2 and gets an invite. We’ll all be salivating at the chance to take part.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson would maul FSU. Clemson didn’t play their true starting QB against us. And Dabo will actually “clean stuff up”. Norvell is another Collins type and will cause them to lose more than he causes them to win.