ACC Discussion 2021-22

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Thinking Duke or UNC are going anywhere in basketball is laughable. FSU is a very good program as well 4 straight tournaments and very well could have been a 1 seed in the COVID season. There are 4 teams that year in year out will compete for high seeds in the tournament.
Also completely slipped my mind Chris Mack at Louisville is one of the best coaches in the country and won 24 games in the season that was canceled due to COVID. ACC is going to be fine.

slugboy

Staff member
So, Duke beats Gonzaga in Las Vegas 84-81.

So, who is the next #1?
Who else gets ranked in the ACC?
Wake and FSU seem to be on the edge.
Right now, we have the 4th-best record in the ACC. We’re about to hit a brutal part of the schedule, though. We have a shot in all of them. If we win some of them, we set ourselves up well. If we win 3 of the next 4 (big task), maybe we’re ranked—and we’d deserve it.

P.S.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Having Wisconsin, UNC and LSU at home will certainly help.

Wisconsin will be a serious test for us. I watched the Houston-UVA game and thought Houston to be a really good team. Wisconsin beat them on the road. Same with St Mary's. The Badgers have played a much tougher schedule than GT. A win against them would be nice.

UNC is a bad matchup for us because of their size. Bacot, Manek and Garcia are huge guys with tremendous presence on the court. I think Howard and Saba will get schooled in this game. Also, UNC doesn't like to play half court basketball, so our D will not have as many chances to set up before the Heels get in the front court. To win this game we will likely have to score 90 points.

I am not as concerned about LSU as I am the first two. Their schedule has been soft up to now.

USC on the road will be tough, but I am not impressed with the teams they beat so far.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our “get old stay old” philosophy will help tremendously in the second half of the season, in my opinion. We are maturing and learning. Teams we lose to now will be teams we can handle fairly easily in February and March.

Gold colored glasses are worth trying on with this team.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
UVA getting spanked by Iowa. UVA obviously overrated in the preseason. We'll see how they look @ the end of the year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UVA getting spanked by Iowa. UVA obviously overrated in the preseason. We'll see how they look @ the end of the year.
UVA trailed by 21 but led by one in the final seconds. Iowa hit a short jumper with about 6 seconds left to take the lead and UVA missed two shots at the end. Iowa by one.

If this is any indication, the B1G/ACC games are going to be great games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I still think we finish in the top 8 of the ACC. Whether or not top 8 in the ACC gets us in the NCAAT tournament is another story.

Let's just win the ACC Tournament again.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The B1G has some good teams this year. Illinois with Kofi in the lineup, Purdue, Ohio State. They are sound basketball teams. I was impressed with Cuse in the 2nd time I have watched them play. They are fundamentally sound and the brothers are both threats all over the court. Girard's play at the end last night was gutsy.

The ACC teams are underdogs tonight in all but the NC State game, so I do not expect the conference to flip that deficit.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just heard the news that dook lost.

**** them. They deserve it.
You would have enjoyed the last 5 minutes. Duke had been up 15 earlier but a combination of their freshman panicking on the offensive end and throwing up gradu plus the OSU version of Dramond Green making the Duke bigs look silly let OSU catch em at the end. I think K let it happen to some degree by not going zone and really just letting them play through the downfall. Gives him some teaching moments going forward.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Relevant to our game on the 29th. Cuse' two games this week were postponed.

“This year we have probably 14 out of 20 in this last week that were hit with Covid. Many are asymptomatic and all are not sick. None of them are sick more than a day or so beyond being tired. It’s obvious the one thing we can prove is the vaccine -- all of our players have had it and they’ve all had the booster -- that the vaccine definitely made it easier for them to get through it. That’s something everybody should be aware of.’’
Instead, the players who can travel have gone home and are scheduled to return to campus Thursday. Syracuse’s next game is on Wednesday, Dec. 29, against Georgia Tech at the Carrier Dome.

“Now we’ll be able to come back a little early because we gave them off for Christmas, so we’ll be able to get in five or six practices,’’ Boeheim said. “It should be full practices before we have to play on the 29th. So it’s not ideal. Overall, we’re going to miss about four or five practices that we would have had, but hopefully, everybody will be healthy and we’ll be able to get five practice days in before we play our first league game on the 29th.’’

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see how Omicron impacts ACC schedule. For those vaccinated the symptoms seem to be mild but the infection rate, especially for younger unvaccinated people, has been ranging from R3 to R4 in other countries.

Wonder what the outcome for conference standings will be if the ACC has to cancel a bunch of games in January and February.